Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 24
Send Topic Print
Lobbing vs. Throwing (Read 80381 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Lobbing vs. Throwing
Reply #255 - Jan 3rd, 2014 at 2:44pm

Thearos, the above comment about reasonable accuracy distances I find to be just another example of people speaking from their own experiences rather than what the sling is actually capable off.  I've had good accuracy out to 40-50 meters.  My only problem accuracy-wise has been that I do far more experimenting than practicing a given style so I never end up mastering a style before moving on.  40-50 meters is completely reasonable for the sling. Probably further with metal ammo.

As far as pulling left, that is user error my friend.  Since it's an inanimate object the sling cannot choose when or how to release. When you fix the problem in your technique or gear that is causing it, it will disappear.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #256 - Jan 3rd, 2014 at 5:02pm

With a long sling, egg sized stones can be slung ~60m fairly flat. Probably with around 10 degrees elevation.
Lobbing ,to me, means relatively low velocity, 30+ degree elevation shots.

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #257 - Jan 3rd, 2014 at 5:16pm

You can play the distances up or down as you wish. But I'll be glad to see people hit things they aim for at 50 m.

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #258 - Jan 3rd, 2014 at 8:02pm

Pirouette can be the flat to heavy ammo. Chain of the moped weighs 300g and motorcycle chain 800g :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X18epKtllNQ

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #259 - Jan 4th, 2014 at 5:14pm

Thearos wrote on Jan 3rd, 2014 at 2:08pm:
To restate things,
1. at 30 m, you can whang a 100g stone
2. at 30 m, you can lob a 200g stone.
1 over-stresses the shot, 2. delivers a lot of punch and is easier to control, and hence to obtain accuracy. Mr Marauder's trick is that he's strong enough to whang 170+g stones, and skillful enough to keep them on target. Most people evolve towards 2.

If you want to fantasize what it would be like to fight with a sling at 30-40m, go ahead; it's not clear that it would be easier to dodge a 200g arcing shot, any easier than to dodge a javelin. Experience in reenacting, or shooting at targets

5. At longer distances, everyone lobs.

"Sigh", why are you so defiant!  Roll Eyes    Tongue

1. This does not require over stressing! It really isn't that hard to sling flat if you have proper form. Flat-lining is like drawing a bow to full draw with a hunting weight arrow, lobbing is like short drawing with a war arrow, you just aren't utilizing the sling to its full potential.

It would take a healthier person to flat-line a 7.5 oz. stone but its definitely doable. I know I keep promising a video but the weather has really taken a turn for the worst lately (single digits and snow as of lately). As soon as I can, I will weigh and make a video flat lining such unnecessarily large rocks.

2. This isn't any easier to control. Most people find accuracy just as well flat-lining, including most of the best slingers I've seen. Most slingers that I've seen really go towards 1 (Look at the poll! Lobbers barely beat the people that kick rocks. ).
It simply isn't normal or natural to sling such large rocks and it really cuts down on the versatility of the sling if they only way you can get power is through the gravity of a large stone. That cuts out tennis ball, golf balls, most concrete glans, clay glans, lead glans, racquet balls, and any rock smaller than a clementine.

By the Rules of Dodging, It would be easier to dodge a large slow moving object than a fast reasonably sized one. I have experience being a teenage guy playing "Toss Rock" and "Catch Spear" (which is really a Staff if it makes you feel better). I know it is possible to dodge both, but that really isn't as relevant when you have 500 coming towards you every few seconds.

5. No they don't. That is arcing, or flat-lining on an angle. We've been over this numerous times. It is often utilized with much smaller ammunition and significant amounts of strength (to maximize KE at longer distance). Think of it as though you were slinging at a bird with an egg sized stone. You aren't going to try to drop the stone on top of the bird, you'll sling hard to get the stone there quickly so you don't have to lead too much. Now if the stone misses the bird and keeps going off into the distance, you have successfully arced a shot, with strength and finesse.  Smiley

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #260 - Jan 4th, 2014 at 6:52pm

You all realize that this is just saying the same thing over again, right? Even the rebuttals.

1. No, whanging is overdrawing at some distances. We've already been over this, too. Lobbing is having a consistent anchor regardless of distance and not being overbowed.

2. Yes it is.

5. Arcing? Eh, it could be whanging. Same amount of effort as a throw at shorter distance? Then it's a lob. But most distance throws are lobs.

You keep trying to make the argument into "gently tossed baseball vs .44 magnum" when it's not. Lobbing is a marginal reduction in effort for a massive increase in controllability. And it is maintaining a consistent level of effort thereafter regardless of the situation. The math says that there won't be a drop in terminal ballistics if you emphasize mass over velocity. In fact, there would probably be a gain. That's why bullets with a higher sectional density and the same powder charge consistently penetrate better than the lower SD, faster bullets regardless of caliber. That's why gridiron football linemen are big instead of fast. That's why a standard pressure .45 will always trump a 9mm +P in single shot stops (87% for .45 to 83% for 9mm +P). And that's why I know I'm right.
« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2014 at 8:37pm by Masiakasaurus »  

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #261 - Jan 4th, 2014 at 8:08pm

I'm not defiant. I'm correct.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #262 - Jan 5th, 2014 at 5:34am

And, more simply, the question's not settled: back-slapping by the wanglers does not amount to winning an argument.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #263 - Jan 5th, 2014 at 2:13pm

Haha, yes I do. Saying the right answers over and over again doesn't make them wrong though, same goes vice versa for the lobbers too.   Wink

1. We have been over this. But you said that flat-lining was overdrawing with flight arrows, I said it was full draw with normal weight arrows and I stand by my position. Over drawing would be like stressing the bow a little more to get more out of it. You can flat-line the with the same power at any distance and add a little angle as you get further out. Pretty much every projectile (even bullets at short range) travel on some kind of parabola. It isn't the eventual necessary existence of the arc that is in question, it's the method of throwing in relation to the ammunition weight.

2. I am mostly basing this on personal experience. I have lobbed a few hundred shots and it feels unnatural, I can still be decently accurate, but not as accurate as I can be flat-lining. Everything else regarding this I've already said before.

5. We went over this too, its "whanging on an angle" if you'd like. It would be long distance lobbing if you kept using the 7oz rocks, maintained a similar amount of power behind the throw (around 65%), and just increased the angle as the target gets further out.

They aren't too far apart in power, but my argument is that if the lobbers advantage is in ammunition weight, a healthy flat-liner could throw a same-weight stone much harder. This would make regular flat-lining like a 9mm, with lobbing being a .38 and flat-lining heavy stones being a .357. Mass trumps velocity in stopping power, yes. However a good flat-liner can match both, so its not really a plus to the lobbing side.

Alright, I think we've said everything that we can say in the great flat-lining/lobbing debate of 2013/2014. This has been a really fun debate and I believe very informative for everyone. However, it has seemed that we have reached a standstill regarding what we can discuss (we've gone in circles a few times here). This information is here for anyone who wants to view it and we can let each slinger decide which is best for them and if anyone asks about it we can just refer them to this thread instead of doing all of this over again.  Wink

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #264 - Jan 5th, 2014 at 2:25pm

Dan wrote on Jan 5th, 2014 at 2:13pm:
You can flat-line the with the same power at any distance and add a little angle as you get further out.

Which, by my definition, is lobbing.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #265 - Jan 5th, 2014 at 4:54pm

What we have here is a failure to communicate.

Dan, EM, Theros and Masi all have a different definition of lobbing.  Each needs to clearly state what you consider lobbing and what you consider throwing.

And how you throw is important, too.  At least a couple of people on here seem to consider all lobbing to be underhand, similar to throwing a softball.

IP Logged

TheSlingin-Injun
Descens

Rope+Rock+Ingenuity=
Firepower

Reply #266 - Jan 6th, 2014 at 11:49am

Wow 18 pages. Shocked

I had a great idea for a debate.

Maybe I should come up with another?

Something that clearly divides the members like trad archery vs modern archery (go trad) on an archery forum.

hmmmmmm.... Huh

--------------------------- ()_'_'_'_)
==||===={'-_'-_'-_'-}'''''''----'''''\__----___
                               '''|__|''''[)]   ------||
                                             \_\_____||
SVD Dragunov Marksman Rifle
----------
Give me a sling big enough and a place to stand, and I can throw the world!

IP Logged

English_Marauder
Descens

Balearic Slinger

Canada
Reply #267 - Jan 6th, 2014 at 2:10pm

wow I missed a lot during my move....... Grin

All I can say now is..... good job Dan...... at reasserting the truth.

If you want peace- Prepare for War!

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #268 - Jan 6th, 2014 at 2:12pm

Good lord, underhand ? Never.

Lobbing is shooting with an awareness of drop.

IP Logged

English_Marauder
Descens

Balearic Slinger

Canada
Reply #269 - Jan 6th, 2014 at 2:15pm

Thearos wrote on Jan 6th, 2014 at 2:12pm:
Lobbing is shooting with an awareness of drop

No.... lobbing is a cancer that plagues slingers who do not have the patience to learn how to flat line....... Wink
« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2014 at 7:21pm by English_Marauder »  

If you want peace- Prepare for War!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 24
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Morphy, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)