Send Topic Print
Lobbing vs. Throwing (Read 79900 times)
English_Marauder
Descens

Balearic Slinger

Canada
Re: Lobbing vs. Throwing
Reply #15 - Nov 17th, 2013 at 7:41pm

A high arching throw is only more powerful than a straight shot if the projectile while approaching terminal velocity, surpasses the speed of the straight shot. to achieve this the shot would have to go very high. even then the projectiles overall terminal velocity(if reached) may not be faster than the powerful straight shot. Wink

If you want peace- Prepare for War!

IP Logged

Pikåru
Interfector Viris Spurii

Experience teaches only
the teachable...

Colorado USA
Reply #16 - Nov 17th, 2013 at 8:12pm

TheSlingin-Injun wrote on Nov 17th, 2013 at 7:08pm:
My stance is that a sling is a weapon, not a game of cornhole  Grin

"cornhole"? I'm not familiar with the term of cornholing in the context of slinging or any other shooting activity. How does one cornhole?  Smiley

Maybe the term, cornhole or to cornhole, should be added to the Slinger's Guide. What do you think Dan?  Roll Eyes

I sling. Therefore I am. Tano' Hu I Islan Guahan. http://itanohu.blogspot.com

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #17 - Nov 17th, 2013 at 9:29pm

Marauder is right on.

Cornhole is a country name for bean bag toss. Smiley

Haha, TSG is pretty much done now. No more new entries until after CA sees it. Smiley

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Pikåru
Interfector Viris Spurii

Experience teaches only
the teachable...

Colorado USA
Reply #18 - Nov 17th, 2013 at 9:58pm

Dan wrote on Nov 17th, 2013 at 9:29pm:
Marauder is right on.

Cornhole is a country name for bean bag toss. Smiley

Haha, TSG is pretty much done now. No more new entries until after CA sees it. Smiley

No TSG Cornhole  Sad

I sling. Therefore I am. Tano' Hu I Islan Guahan. http://itanohu.blogspot.com

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #19 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 6:06am

Note that the point is not whether a lobbed shot is as powerful as a whanged shot-- of course not. The point is whether a lobbed shot is powerful enough, as it drops, to inflict harm when it hits. Which it is.

IP Logged

TheSlingin-Injun
Descens

Rope+Rock+Ingenuity=
Firepower

Reply #20 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 6:57am

QUOTE-A high arching throw is only more powerful than a straight shot if the projectile while approaching terminal velocity, surpasses the speed of the straight shot. to achieve this the shot would have to go very high. even then the projectiles overall terminal velocity(if reached) may not be faster than the powerful straight shot. Wink-QUOTE

-English Marauder

I voted for straight shot. I thought that that was implied by "slinging isn't a game of cornhole/bean bag toss". I'M ON YOUR SIDE MARAUDER.....

not trying to be rude so don't take this the wrong way Lips Sealed

But yeah, lets try to keep the sling as a weapon so it's not underestimated.

--------------------------- ()_'_'_'_)
==||===={'-_'-_'-_'-}'''''''----'''''\__----___
                               '''|__|''''[)]   ------||
                                             \_\_____||
SVD Dragunov Marksman Rifle
----------
Give me a sling big enough and a place to stand, and I can throw the world!

IP Logged

TheSlingin-Injun
Descens

Rope+Rock+Ingenuity=
Firepower

Reply #21 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 7:03am

throwing up hill, a straight shot would have less power because it is at the center of its trajectory (losing KE), this is where the lob would have the advantage, if done properly. A good strong underhand throw could make the lob a great throw style but the so-called "target lob" is kinda annoying. The lob throw in ancient military was close to that of a modern mortar, powerful overhead smash attack (without explosives Cheesy).

btw, are there any underhand slingers out there? It seems like my most instinctive style if I ever trained in it. It seems to just always go in the direction I want it to, just the elevation (up/down aiming) is hard for me to get right every time because of the release.

\_\_____||
----------

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #22 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 7:35am

I sling underhand fairly often but there is pretty much zero lob there as its always within 20 yards. The shot still goes in a straight line towards the target, the start of the trajectory just begins lower.

Keep working on it SI and underhand can be as accurate as any other style.

If I really needed to throw over a wall (siege), I'd use sidearm and I'd throw just as hard I normally do, just at an increased angle.

IP Logged

TheSlingin-Injun
Descens

Rope+Rock+Ingenuity=
Firepower

Reply #23 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 7:38am

QUOTE- If I really needed to throw over a wall (siege), I'd use sidearm and I'd throw just as hard I normally do, just at an increased angle.-QUOTE

- Dan
----------

And that sir is a lob in the sidearm style Smiley. It doesn't have to be underhand  Wink.

What kind of sidearm? Belaeric? Huh

\_\_____||
----------

IP Logged

Liberty dog
Funditor

mobile pocket artillery

south carolina, usa
Reply #24 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 8:31am

In a mob type situation both straight line and lobbing have their place.
If you happen to have a few squad mates with you than some can throw straight, and the others can lob to really keep the opposition on their toes!
imagine trying to keep track of rocks coming straight at you a well as from the sky?!? Unnerving to say the least.
Straight line and lobbing both have their place.

illumination through target annihilation&&&&moving continents one rock at a time&&&&my sling aches with inaction&&&&hit.....run....hide......the Highland way.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #25 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 9:36am

Thearos wrote on Nov 18th, 2013 at 6:06am:
Note that the point is not whether a lobbed shot is as powerful as a whanged shot-- of course not. The point is whether a lobbed shot is powerful enough, as it drops, to inflict harm when it hits. Which it is.

That's my stance exactly.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

English_Marauder
Descens

Balearic Slinger

Canada
Reply #26 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 10:08am

TheSlingin-Injun wrote on Nov 18th, 2013 at 6:57am:
QUOTE-A high arching throw is only more powerful than a straight shot if the projectile while approaching terminal velocity, surpasses the speed of the straight shot. to achieve this the shot would have to go very high. even then the projectiles overall terminal velocity(if reached) may not be faster than the powerful straight shot. Wink-QUOTE

-English Marauder

I voted for straight shot. I thought that that was implied by "slinging isn't a game of cornhole/bean bag toss". I'M ON YOUR SIDE MARAUDER.....

not trying to be rude so don't take this the wrong way Lips Sealed

But yeah, lets try to keep the sling as a weapon so it's not underestimated.

no offense taken. Cool
simply pointing out some physics as it came to mind.

If you want peace- Prepare for War!

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #27 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 10:30am

TheSlingin-Injun wrote on Nov 18th, 2013 at 7:38am:
QUOTE- If I really needed to throw over a wall (siege), I'd use sidearm and I'd throw just as hard I normally do, just at an increased angle.-QUOTE

- Dan
----------

And that sir is a lob in the sidearm style Smiley. It doesn't have to be underhand  Wink.

What kind of sidearm? Belaeric? Huh

Regular sidearm, look it up on YouTube.

No, that is an arced "whanged" shot, similar to what you would use for distance. A lob is a deliberate drop in power in order for more (how much varies significantly per person, for me there's pretty much no difference, but Thearos improved noticeably) controllability in the throw.

SI, can also use the quote button in the top right of each post if you want to use a quote box

The least controversial view is still to say that both have their place... But straight throwing still has way more places.  Wink

IP Logged

TheSlingin-Injun
Descens

Rope+Rock+Ingenuity=
Firepower

Reply #28 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 11:05am

Regular sidearm is just a diagonal helicopter throw that is released with a sidearm curveball-like windup throw right? At least that's how I do it

\_\_____||
----------

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #29 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 3:55pm

Thearos wrote on Nov 18th, 2013 at 6:06am:

I agree too.

Marauder: You are very often talking about "maximal energy". Please consider that in the formula there are two variables: Mass and velocity. You don't have to increase the speed if you increase the weight.
For me it's much easier to increase the weight of my stones than the speed I'm doing my movements with. Timing is less of a question and I can maintain a similar accuracy. Maximizing speed (= maximizing distance) doesn't play a big role as you will hunt on distances as close as possible. Further the "lobbed" throw will be (more) silent.

For many people what messes up the accuracy when they "whang" is, that they are "forcing" their throw or that they make their movements faster than they can control it. Jaegoor told me this the first time and I experienced this many times with myself and while teaching slinging to other people. So if you "take back your force", you will do your movements at a speed that you can control. Not the energy you put into your throw is the problem. It is the speed or the timing of your movements.

If their technique is fine, they can then put their full power in a heavy stone, which will fly slow and make a high arc but carry a devastating force and hit accurately.

One last physical and also more theoretical point: The velocity is squared in the expression of the kinetic energy. Therefore if you can't manage your shots at full power and have to slow your movements a bit, it is better to take heavy stones and therefore do slower movements as the impact on the "total energy" will be smaller of this decrease of movement velocity.

So my tip: Learn both. Start with slow "lobbed" shots which you can control and then work your way up.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 24
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, vetryan15, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Chris)