Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Naval slings (Read 3856 times)
bernardz
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Naval slings
Nov 14th, 2013 at 7:25am

Did ancient navies use slingers? If so who and when.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Naval slings
Reply #1 - Nov 14th, 2013 at 9:26am

Yes.  There is a stele in Italy in Mauro's home town that shows slings in use in a naval battle.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #2 - Nov 14th, 2013 at 8:06pm

There are MANY pictures of crusaders using staff slings from ships.
There is historical evidence(writings) of use of slings agianst Muslims during crusades- it can be seen in pictures.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #3 - Nov 15th, 2013 at 7:17am

Plutarch's Rise and Fall of Athens has an example of shipboard sling use..
In the book of Nicias, chapter 25, Nicias is the commander of the Greek forces in Siracusa, Sicily in circa 357 B.C. They were leaving after a series of humiliating defeats that left the forces devastated. They were leaving in triremes, but were being pursued by Sicilians
" They were fighting against lighter vessels which bore down on them from several different directions at once, while their own ships were heavy and huddled together. The Athenians were bombarded with stones (from Siilian slingers) which did equal damage wherever they struck, while they, (the Greeks) could only respond with javelins and arrows, whose flight was upset by the tossing of the ships, so the did not hit their target with their point. They ended up abandoning a lot of their ships in their haste to leave."

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #4 - Nov 15th, 2013 at 5:42pm

(413 BCE, and in the battle in the Great Harbour, not pursued during flight, but trying to win the naval battle in order to be able to withdraw).

The same battle is described in Thucydides 7.72. A couple of remarks-- Thuc. says somewhere that throwing javelins from a boat is a difficult skill-- because the triremes are so narrow that you have to do it sitting down or crouching, so as not to spoil the craft's balance. I wonder how this affects slinging.

The expedition took 700 Rhodian slingers, who are oddly never again mentioned. Presumably they were naval slingers; they may have been squandered in the opening battles in 414 BCE. That reference, and the Anabasis passage, are the only two mentions of Rhodian skill at the sling.

On Greek warships at least, the usual complement is archers+marine infantry (shield and spear guys)-- slingers don't seem mentioned very often, even on Rhodes (we have lists of crews of warships, and slingers never figure).

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #5 - Nov 16th, 2013 at 7:20am

Siege of Damietta, 1219 Corpus Cristi MS16: 59v

51519.jpg (267 KB | )
51519.jpg

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

SchlrFtrRkMystc

I want what all men want...
I just want it more

Southern California
Reply #6 - Nov 21st, 2013 at 1:30am

From what I have read sling use on ships definitely happened quite a bit from folks with sling experience and skill. Far cheaper than arrows after all and less vulnerable to the elements. One thing I have come across quite a bit is stone THROWING in naval battles... bows and arrows are expensive and a specialized skill... not to mentioned not as common as one would think in many parts of the ancient world (greece and rome in particular)... and even with archers, ask yourself what do the rowers and such do? The answer quite often is to throw stones. Of course these are less space efficient, weaker, and far less range than slung stones... but again, a specialized skill... however since stone throwing was common, a slinger could make use of those stones as well as proper sling stones, clay, and bullets.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #7 - Nov 21st, 2013 at 6:34am

One of the problems with bows is that the strings are vulnerable to humidity. If they get wet enough, they don't work. Not so with slings.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #8 - Dec 5th, 2013 at 10:47am

But slings need much more space to use. Which is\was rather limited on ships

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Dec 9th, 2013 at 6:57am

no they dont.

A staff sling is a straight line throw. you can stand shoulder to shoulder with another staff slinger with no problem at all.

And for that matter with a fig 8 throw you only need a couple of feet at most between slingers. Tried that - you can get extremely close with no problems at all.

Also slingers are a lot more versatile in their choice of ammunition.
Sure you can use fire arrows with a bow - but you can use grenades with a sling, or pots full of flammable oil, or grapeshot, or big rocks, small rocks, glandes, darts.
A slinger has a positive utility chest full of ammunition types.    

Much more suited to defendign aship than an archer. And at least as fast a rate of fire too.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #10 - Dec 10th, 2013 at 8:07am

slingbadger wrote on Nov 21st, 2013 at 6:34am:
One of the problems with bows is that the strings are vulnerable to humidity. If they get wet enough, they don't work. Not so with slings.

Ain't so.
Linen bowstrings, decently well waxed, and fairly tightly twisted, can be soaked in water before being shot without
a. damage to the string
b. increased likelyhood of breakage
c. slowing the bow more than 5 FPS.

I have tested this, as have many others, and I frequently shoot in the rain with my linen bowstring(only a #80 bow, can't pull over 100#). It is coated only with beeswax.
Now over a period of a month, if left in water, even a waxed string will begin to rot.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar)