Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
new video of balearic chapionship in menorca (Read 16012 times)
balearic-sling
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Menorca
new video of balearic chapionship in menorca
Oct 31st, 2013 at 2:23pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XVZjANZC7k
it was in san luis and the team of menorca was in 1 position
enjoy.

livermore  
IP Logged

balearic-sling
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Menorca
Re: new video of balearic chapionship in menorca
Reply #1 - Oct 31st, 2013 at 2:30pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flYOrEbKH0Y
and an other of the warm up

livermore  
IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #2 - Oct 31st, 2013 at 3:06pm

Thank you for posting those  Cool

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Oct 31st, 2013 at 7:37pm

Great videos. Thanks Balearic-Sling. I didn't realize these were team events as well.

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #4 - Nov 1st, 2013 at 5:25am

Great videos and congratulation to the title! What was the distance you were shooting at? 20 meters or 30 meters?

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Nov 1st, 2013 at 10:04am

Very cool. I wish we had competions in the states like this. Your shots definitely had the most power behind them too, a lot of the other guys were just lobbing the stones which seems accurate enough but the lack of power behind the strike annoys me.
Its similar how in Tae Kwon Do tournements a lot of the guys will throw kicks that still score points but have almost no power beind them.

Anyway, good work and thanks for posting the videos!

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

balearic-sling
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Menorca
Reply #6 - Nov 4th, 2013 at 1:35pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpzFUdv8uGs

here you have the other of a TV channel from the islands, you can see the diferent technique of the slingers

livermore  
IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #7 - Nov 10th, 2013 at 7:14pm

I wonder why this obsession with power, as in Dan's comment above. 75% lobs are fine, and should be part of the slinger's repertoire. They require style, form, and finesse. They achieve the goal, which is to hit the target. In fact, they allow for far better accuracy and coordination than whanging at the target. They showcase the slinger's control. And, in terms of lethality and power, the heavy smashing stone which enables the lobbing gives the shots satisfying power.

Earlier, I wrote some posts about how I learned to stop worrying and love the lob

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1377349929

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #8 - Nov 10th, 2013 at 7:20pm

IP Logged

balearic-sling
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Menorca
Reply #9 - Nov 12th, 2013 at 3:05pm

the power, is the essential of the ancient slinging, and I think we have to preserve that, go and break the target, power and accuracy, imagine In a battle, throwing stones like peanuts...you are dead.

livermore  
IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #10 - Nov 12th, 2013 at 4:00pm

Dude, most of the Balearic guys lob, because they want to hit the target. And that's OK.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Nov 12th, 2013 at 5:33pm

I'm pretty sure Balearic-sling knows that (He's a pretty competent slinger), just because lots of people do it, doesn't mean we have to like it. :p

I agree that a slinger shouldn't have to sling full force all the time, and I would even recommend dialing it back a bit when target throwing. But for me at least, a legitimate 'lob' is closer to 50% power, even with heavier rocks.

I still maintain huge respect for the long-time slinger's that have some arc in their throw, but there's definitely a line between lob and accuracy that I think I may draw a little sooner than most.

To each his own, but my own preference will be powerful shots on a straight plane while maintaining proper form and considerable accuracy.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

English_Marauder
Descens

Balearic Slinger

Canada
Reply #12 - Nov 12th, 2013 at 10:05pm

There is no point to slinging without power! period!

The "sling" is to gain mechanical advantage/ power to your throw. =distance+ accuracy. the flatter your trajectory the more accurate "consistently" you can become.

more power= flatter trajectory.

If you want to "lob" the rock, leave the sling at home.

If you want peace- Prepare for War!

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #13 - Nov 13th, 2013 at 7:13am

I don't agree with that. I think it's a fallacy, "slinging = 110% power whanging".

With a sling, you can lob further than with the hand, heavier stones, with less strain on your body than by throwing by hand, and with greater control.

Mr Jaegoor he doth lob

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQJv0LJqd9Y

and he knows what he's doing.

Lob, brothers, lob !

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Nov 13th, 2013 at 8:55am

There are several reasons for lobbing, for some people, it is more accurate, it's easier on the joints, it doesn't destroy your target/backstop.  Those are some that come quickly to mind, I am quite sure there are others.

I shoot a traditional longbow at archery tournaments.  The draw weight of my bow is around 40 pounds (18kg).  It is much lighter than the bow I use hunting, and that bow is about 1/2 the draw weight of a warbow.  I really don't consider the tournaments as any kind of training or practice, I consider them more of a social event.  Basically, a bunch of people who walk through the woods, shooting at foam rubber animals and gossiping about what we have been doing. 

I am pretty sure that there is a lot of that at these compititions, I noticed that most of the pictures posted when several members went were of socializing.  There are some people who practice daily, throw X times at each distance and are at the event to win.  Others are there to meet friends that they don't usually get to see except at these meets.

Now, the correct question about lobbing or flatlining is this:  "Am I enjoying myself?"  If you are, then it doesn't matter what someone else's reason for slinging is, we are all individuals and we all have different reasons for slinging.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man)