Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Tutorial: Balearic Sling (Read 53338 times)
Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Tutorial: Balearic Sling
Reply #30 - Oct 28th, 2013 at 4:33pm

Donnerschlag wrote on Oct 24th, 2013 at 4:53pm:
Now that you've rejoined both sides of the pouch, you should have a massive braid twice as thick as before, called the "belly." This helps to resist abrasion a bit better, it gives the sling a center of gravity toward the front of the pouch, and it even helps give a dandy whip-crack upon release.

Ok so why do we add the extra material? And what happens with the center of gravity in front of the pouch?

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #31 - Oct 28th, 2013 at 5:30pm

Tomas wrote on Oct 28th, 2013 at 4:33pm:
Donnerschlag wrote on Oct 24th, 2013 at 4:53pm:
Now that you've rejoined both sides of the pouch, you should have a massive braid twice as thick as before, called the "belly." This helps to resist abrasion a bit better, it gives the sling a center of gravity toward the front of the pouch, and it even helps give a dandy whip-crack upon release.

Ok so why do we add the extra material? And what happens with the center of gravity in front of the pouch?

For wider/bigger sides in the pouch. The idea is that the added surface area makes loading a little less precarious and such.

As for the center of gravity, all I can say for certain is that it changes the feel of the release. Some say that it actively aids in the release, or that less material on the retention end allows more flexibility in the knee, to compensate for a slightly stiffer release side (I assume they meant that it depends on the material.)
Since any possible advantage/s haven't exactly been proven as of yet, I'm sticking with the default slinger's assumption, and leaving it up to a matter of opinion.  Wink
I figured it was worth mentioning, since I've heard it mentioned by a couple different people. Smiley

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

paleryder
Descens

Le Roy, IL
Reply #32 - Apr 3rd, 2017 at 5:30pm

I've been working through Donnerschlag's tutorial. Just and FYI. I think there may be an error in Reply #10, Oct 24th, 2013 at 3:50pm. It says that the unsplit group is  "third down". I think it's the second down. It also seems to state in the written portion that you move the entire bundle from the left to the right but the photo appears to show that bundle being split.

In Reply #11, it references the the unsplit section on the right but I'm not sure the picture matches. Somewhere along the line, it appears the bottom right group got split.

I may be in error so please correct me if I'm wrong. It caused me some confusion and I went with the picture with respect to Reply 10 and everything seemingly fell into place.

Thanks for putting up this tutorial. I've made this style in the past but without knowing anything about the   braiding relating to the "knee". Great job.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #33 - Oct 13th, 2017 at 8:04am

IGreat tutorial,  I am gonna have to.practice the 5 strabf braid before I tackle this

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #34 - Oct 13th, 2017 at 10:52am

I've made two slings in this way now (roughly the same way anyway). I really like the way this one particularly came out though it isn't nearly as nice as the example shown. I still need a lot of practice Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #35 - Oct 13th, 2017 at 11:45am

I.just have alot of issues braiding more then 3 strands at a time. I have a bunch of cheap material I try to practice with.

IP Logged

TheArchaicPeltast
Tiro

Dexai!

California, USA
Reply #36 - Jun 30th, 2018 at 12:15pm

Donnerschlag wrote on Oct 24th, 2013 at 4:48pm:
Prerequisite skills necessary:
*5-Strand braid
*splitting and rejoining braids
*splicing additional material into a braid (increasing volume and make it fatter)
*Ability to taper a release cord (removing material, slimming the braid)

How and where does one learn and practice these prerequisite skills? Especially the splicing.

IP Logged

CrazyBrave333
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #37 - Sep 1st, 2021 at 9:30pm

This is a fantastic tutorial - thanks so much man!

I just need to know how to splice thread into the pouch to make it thicker? it looks so neat in the pictures!

Also splicing out when tapering release cord - is that just leaving out a thread bit by bit? what do you do with the thread hanging out?

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #38 - Sep 2nd, 2021 at 5:41am

CrazyBrave333 wrote on Sep 1st, 2021 at 9:30pm:
This is a fantastic tutorial - thanks so much man!

I just need to know how to splice thread into the pouch to make it thicker? it looks so neat in the pictures!

Also splicing out when tapering release cord - is that just leaving out a thread bit by bit? what do you do with the thread hanging out?

This is how I do it:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HazSOCpyjgg

Though this is for fibre rather than twine, but the principle is similar.

IP Logged

CrazyBrave333
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #39 - Sep 2nd, 2021 at 6:40pm

You ROCK!!! Thanks so much!!! Exactly what I needed!!!!

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #40 - Sep 5th, 2021 at 2:47pm

Kick wrote on Oct 13th, 2017 at 10:52am:
I've made two slings in this way now (roughly the same way anyway). I really like the way this one particularly came out though it isn't nearly as nice as the example shown. I still need a lot of practice Cheesy

Ooof. Did we need to resurrect this thread particularly? Ok so I didn't make the worst sling but... hmmm.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #41 - Sep 7th, 2021 at 2:36pm

Naw they all look good man. Shoot at least youve made a good looking balearic sling...  Grin

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, vetryan15)