Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
quick question on hardening leather (Read 7567 times)
HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Re: quick question on hardening leather
Reply #15 - Oct 29th, 2013 at 12:33pm

C'mon C_A, that's 180 Fahrenheit. Water boils at 212 degrees in that system, so boiling would be a bit too hot. The equivalent Celsius would be 82.

When all is said and done more will have been said than done.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #16 - Oct 30th, 2013 at 8:51am

yeah but given that fahrenheit was based on a bucket full of ice, water and salt and mrs fahrenheits armpit temperature.

I'd rather stick to celsius - makes a lot more sense Smiley
And it does say C not f in the article.

And as the components I'm waiting for haven't arrived yet and work is very slow this week - I've got some time, so play this afternoon. So I'll test the leather I've got and see what happens Smiley 

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Reply #17 - Nov 1st, 2013 at 11:07pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Oct 30th, 2013 at 8:51am:
yeah but given that fahrenheit was based on a bucket full of ice, water and salt and mrs fahrenheits armpit temperature.

I'd rather stick to celsius - makes a lot more sense Smiley
And it does say C not f in the article.

And as the components I'm waiting for haven't arrived yet and work is very slow this week - I've got some time, so play this afternoon. So I'll test the leather I've got and see what happens Smiley 

Not about to argue over which system makes sense. Ours is handy, as a 100 degree day is very hot. If the article said it was 180 Celsius they must have had the leather in a pressure cooker or they meant Fahrenheit.

When all is said and done more will have been said than done.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #18 - Nov 2nd, 2013 at 2:41am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Oct 30th, 2013 at 8:51am:

Both Fahrenheit and Celsius were based on the freezing and boiling points of water. The scale you're talking about was never adopted.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Kjev

Limits exist only in your
mind

Reply #19 - Nov 3rd, 2013 at 1:35pm

When I tried boiling leather, I kept it simple. If bubbles were coming up in the water, and it was hotter than hell, it was boiling. When the leather curled, it was time to pull it out and shape it.

But I'm kind of remedial that way. Cheesy

K'Jev  Cool
"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter"--Yoda

https://www.facebook.com/StormsForge
WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #20 - Jan 12th, 2016 at 7:01am

Well I've just bought a water bath fr sous vide cooking experiments (really really want to make scotch eggs with liquid yolk centres).

So i now have a reasonable sized container of water that i can accurately set to any temperature Smiley
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zyon-Premium-Sous-Water-Cooker/dp/B010671LE0/ref=sr_1_1?...

lol it's gone up by £4 since i bought mine a few days ago  Smiley

So I'll probably have ago at the leather hardening thing fairly soon Smiley

Quote:
Both Fahrenheit and Celsius were based on the freezing and boiling points of water. The scale you're talking about was never adopted.

oh really ?
How do you account for the fact that 100f is the body temp of a hot (metabolically) woman then.
Or the fact that every single account of fahrenheit states that it's based on his wifes armpit temperature Smiley
Or indeed why 0 fahrenheit is NOT the freezing point of water but a good bit lower.

There's no way it's based on anything as sensible as the freezing and boiling of water. If it were - we'd call it the celsius system whistle

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #21 - Jan 12th, 2016 at 9:57am

I've gained a bit of experience in this matter since last time I read this thread. So yes, Pikaru was right you need veg tan leather to mold and case it. Another name for it is tooling leather.
So you can submerge you tooling leather til it doesn't bubble and then formxit with you're fingers around your knife. You can use a smooth handled brush or something similar to help you gain definition. That part is called boning.
Wrap your knife in a few layers of seran wrap to keep it dry.
The hotter your water, the harder your leather will "case". Essentially, the really hot water changes the actual chemical composition of the leather by melting the collagens in the leather.
And it doesn't have to be super hot to retain its shape.
I'll do a quick video tonight for ya

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Rat Man)