Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Brain- and Skullstorming (Read 5698 times)
Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Brain- and Skullstorming
Oct 8th, 2013 at 3:59pm

Several years ago I found the skull of a chamois, who most probably died in an avalanche. I took it home and boiled it out to remove the remaining flesh. Since then this skull has been laying unused in my store.
So now I finally have to either use it, throw it away or put it back and store it for probably another 10 years. However I don't really want to throw it away and also don't want to store it any longer.

And therefore I'm looking now for good ideas as my creativity regarding old bones is quite limited Wink.
So what would you do with a chamois skull and two pointy horns? Would you make a special item out of it? A tool? Adornments? A necklace? Or even a sling Wink?

I'm curious what you come up with Smiley.

For those not familiar with this animal: The horns are around 20 cm long, at the base 1.5 cm thick and hollow.

Gdmsschddel.JPG (128 KB | )
Gdmsschddel.JPG

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Re: Brain- and Skullstorming
Reply #1 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 4:21pm

maybe a bow from the horns.....
or tie it to the front of your car.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #2 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 4:25pm

I was thinking horn backed bow * till you got to the 20 cm part..
1). use horn tip as handle for a cane/walking stick ...
2). extra bits ... cut up and use as horn knock inserts for     primitive arrows.
3). use both horn tips as horn string knocks on  self-bow tips
4.) see #2 Grin

* oops horn bellied pow @squirrelslinger

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #3 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 4:27pm

Horn bellied bow- you can't back a bow with horn as far as I know.

plus it would be much better to horn-belly it...

Anyway- carve release tips for slings from horn, horn nocks, horn blunts..
and maybe even horn bullets.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #4 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 7:04pm

Oh my God I've just found a new handle for my bycicle!!!

(Dear Teg, consider trading them for a knive... or a broadsword... with your loyal blacksmith  Cheesy )
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Arcane Tinker
Funditor

Slinging everything 'cept
b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Reply #5 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 7:55pm

I bleached a whitetail skull almost twenty years ago and painted native american glyphs and designs on it.  Gave it to my dad as a gift..... He still has it on his bedroom wall.

Safety officers and lawyers, two paying professions until the internet came along...
Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 8:25pm

Squirrel, that type of horn was preferred by Mongols for their composite bows. 

40cm, that's both horns with a couple of pieces added in the middle from the part that excess, is a good length for a composite bow.  Bigger problem will be getting enough sinew to back the bow.  However, starting on a composite bow cold, without making a bunch of different bows first is probably going to end badly.

It will make a hat rack, as is, just mount it on a wall.

IP Logged

Liberty dog
Funditor

mobile pocket artillery

south carolina, usa
Reply #7 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 8:39pm

You have the makings of an awesome barbarian helmet!

illumination through target annihilation&&&&moving continents one rock at a time&&&&my sling aches with inaction&&&&hit.....run....hide......the Highland way.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #8 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 6:29am

Do you know how far up the hollow part of the horns go? The would really make unusual ones to drink out of.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Arcane Tinker
Funditor

Slinging everything 'cept
b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Reply #9 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 10:00am

Chamois shot glasses

Safety officers and lawyers, two paying professions until the internet came along...
Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #10 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 11:16am

Chamois horn sling toggle!

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #11 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 1:09pm

I was going to suggest something Like Mauro's idea. If you drive a motorcycle they would make great handlebars! You could also go climb the alps with them as ice picks hehe

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #12 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 4:57pm

Keep the ideas comming! I really like what I read Smiley My mind is sparking!

Chamois shot glasses with a stand out of e.g. brass wire and some stylized leaves or better some pine branches around it. Mhh... Why not! Judging from the sound, the horns are hollow up to 1 cm from the tip. I think I have to take them of the skull and have a look at the inside.

Bow-making is out of question. My last experience with bowmaking was about 7 years ago and broke right in the middle Roll Eyes.

Sling toggles! Why wasn't I thinking about this? I guess at least 5 cm are reserved. Now I only have to make the sling worth the attachment to this toggles...

I have a red mountain bike and I think the horns would not fit it... But if I would mount them, I think I wouldn't be overtaken any more Wink.
@Mauro: If there should be any usable remains, you will be the receiver. But just at the moment I doubt it a little bit...

And Tomas, while climbing I'm quite old school. Only rope, steel and stone takes care of my life  Wink.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #13 - Oct 14th, 2013 at 1:09pm

ill take some high carbon steel picks.. with horn handles...
Smiley

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #14 - Jul 5th, 2015 at 8:08am

Just to give you a little update:
From time to time I've been working a bit with the horn. However I messed up my first attempt at making a horn toggle. I cut the horn too near to the base. There it is rather thin and also irregularly grown. So while grinding away all the bad spots I accidentaly broke through... So currently I'm thinking of a way to make a coverup. The hole is too near to the end to attach the string there.

With the offcuts I made a few parts of a bracelet.
Polishing the offcuts yields a nice pattern. I used these to make the ends.
Sanding of the horn tube at the base of the horn gives also a nice pattern. I consecutively cut the hollow tube into pieces, heated them up (pressure cooker) and pressed them into plates. I added a bit of wood to these plates to make the middle piece.
The band is braided horsehair, 16 strands with 4 hairs each, 2/2 "Köperbindung"

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar)