Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Your favorite knife and WHY (Read 7574 times)
English_Marauder
Descens

Balearic Slinger

Canada
Re: Your favorite knife and WHY
Reply #15 - Dec 21st, 2013 at 2:35pm

KA-BAR d2, is my current user/abuser. great knife.

If you want peace- Prepare for War!

IP Logged

lbfist
Tiro

Sticks and Stones...

Manitoba
Reply #16 - Dec 21st, 2013 at 6:50pm

Ontario Knife Company Afghan Bush 5

Micarta handle is impervious to the variable weather condtions of Canada.

Drop point blade is my go to design.  Allows for superb cutting and slicing due to a large belly while still retaining decent penetration on thrusts without fear of a weak tip.

1/4" thick spine allows for efficient digging, prying, chopping.

Balanced at the hilt for controlled and responsive cuts.

Full flat grind for great edge strength, longevity, and allowing the medium being cut to not 'push' against my blade causing an 'off cut'.

5160 steel added nickel to some of my favorite mild carbon steel blades.  Making it extra tough while still being chip resistant, and super easy to sharpen.  Carbon steel always trumps stainless on edge retention, toughness, strength, ease of sharpening.

Price is affordable (always 2 digits).

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.” - A.E.

IP Logged

lbfist
Tiro

Sticks and Stones...

Manitoba
Reply #17 - Dec 21st, 2013 at 6:51pm

If you want me to show how sharp this is, ill post a video of me shaving my arm with it, or my some of my beard Cheesy

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.” - A.E.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #18 - Dec 21st, 2013 at 8:52pm

I'm still EDCing my ZT301. It's been my favorite for awhile now in spite of its weight and size. It opens easily one handed and the blade locks into place with a very audible "CHUNK"! It's not a casual whitting knife, but I like the idea of carrying a knife that will get me home, no matter what.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #19 - Dec 21st, 2013 at 9:31pm

bigkahuna wrote on Dec 21st, 2013 at 8:52pm:
It's not a casual whitting knife, but I like the idea of carrying a knife that will get me home, no matter what.

Try doing some whittling with it. My ZT0560 doesn't do half bad. (My current favorite overall.) Built like a tank but slices like a scalpel. And it's not too bad at spreading mayo.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Arcane Tinker
Funditor

Slinging everything 'cept
b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Reply #20 - Dec 30th, 2013 at 12:50pm

Got my Mercator K55K cat knife today. I can tell I'm going to like it already, despite the fact that I ordered a carbon steel model and got a stainless steel version instead. 

Thanks for the positive review Brett!

Edit: the knife arrived very sharp, but I put it on a fine stone for just a few minutes and ended up with a spearpoint lockback straight razor.  Crazy sharp.
« Last Edit: Dec 31st, 2013 at 5:19pm by Arcane Tinker »  

Safety officers and lawyers, two paying professions until the internet came along...
Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #21 - Dec 30th, 2013 at 10:39pm

Masiakasaurus wrote on Dec 21st, 2013 at 9:31pm:
bigkahuna wrote on Dec 21st, 2013 at 8:52pm:
It's not a casual whitting knife, but I like the idea of carrying a knife that will get me home, no matter what.

Try doing some whittling with it. My ZT0560 doesn't do half bad. (My current favorite overall.) Built like a tank but slices like a scalpel. And it's not too bad at spreading mayo.

Spreading Mayo??? The blade is probably wide enough to make small pancakes on. :eat: Grin

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #22 - Dec 31st, 2013 at 3:51am

My favorite over many years is Spyderco Endura.
I also often use a Cold Steel mini tuff lite which is small but incredibly practical and usefull.
My favorite fixed blades is Mora knives with rubberized handles.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #23 - Dec 31st, 2013 at 11:32am

timann wrote on Dec 31st, 2013 at 3:51am:
My favorite over many years is Spyderco Endura.
I also often use a Cold Steel mini tuff lite which is small but incredibly practical and usefull.
My favorite fixed blades is Mora knives with rubberized handles.

+1 on the mora.
Their clipper model has become my carry knife when possible, as the high-carbon steel blade is easy to keep sharp, very sturdy, and holds a wicked edge. But it does rust.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

slyserpico

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #24 - Jan 1st, 2014 at 12:40am

I like the weight of a Buck 110 in my hand, so I usually have one on my belt. Great knife for most jobs, easy to keep sharp and inexpensive to replace.

IP Logged

RJB

Slinging Rocks!

Western North Carolina
Reply #25 - Jan 7th, 2014 at 1:47pm

I like my Leatherman Wingman (multitool)  I have other knives that may be better but I carry the multitool  everyday. 

For general outdoors, I've come to like my CS tru flights.  I have several that I throw regularly and keep two that I never throw, but I only use as... a knife.  At $20 dollars, I'm not afraid to use it for anything, chopping, slicing, throwing, even digging.  I do have better, more expensive knives that I've had for years-- without a scratch.  So although it's not the best, it's the one I love to use without worry whether I damage or lose it and I feel the most comfortable handling since I throw them just about everyday.

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #26 - Jan 7th, 2014 at 5:28pm

RJB wrote on Jan 7th, 2014 at 1:47pm:
...For general outdoors, I've come to like my CS tru flights.  I have several that I throw regularly ...

So .. are you a spin or a no spin kind of guy. ??? once upon a time ago I was a spin thrower ... haven't thrown in years.

Took a peek on the web ... good lookin' knife for a utility/thrower

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

RJB

Slinging Rocks!

Western North Carolina
Reply #27 - Jan 7th, 2014 at 8:11pm

To avoid a thread hijacking, I will first say that the knife throwing scene in the movie The Magnificent Seven most likely would not work in a real gunfight and it's not good to throw away your only knife.  (Somehow without typing this, I'll get a two page lecture on how knife throwing isn't a good defensive strategy.)  Smiley

I started with the spin, now I'm totally in love with the no spin.  My throwing knife range has 6 different targets at different distances and I've gotten decent at throwing instinctively.

I'm a former jarhead and loved the USMC Kabar.  the tru-flight is pretty similar in weight and feel in a few ways although the steel is a little softer.   And being cheaper, I'm not afraid to use it in the field like a more expensive knife.  As a sling maker, remaking the handle is no problem either.

IP Logged

Lee_the_slinger

Slinging Rocks!

Decatur,Tennessee
Reply #28 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 7:49am

My favorite knife would probably have to be my frost cutlery midnight fire the one I got is durable and holds an amazingly sharp edge for a stainless blade  Wink isn't a whittling knife though it's a carving knife  Grin I think the biggest chunk I ever took was about 1/4" thick and 3" long lol although I've been carrying the weatherman wingman and a tac force assisted open "army" knife recently don't know the exact name it's fairly durable but I've had little success sharpening it only reason I switched is because the glass breaker, seatbelt cutter, and the fact it's a beater lol but the weatherman wingman came sharp as a scalpel and I love it best multi tool I've ever bought.

Let us not despair but act. Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer but the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past, let us accept our own responsibility for the future. - John F. Kennedy

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus)