Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Timpa's amazing sling power. (Read 8350 times)
Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Re: Timpa's amazing sling power.
Reply #15 - Sep 2nd, 2013 at 11:01pm

Timpa,

I still use it almost exclusively.I primarily throw baseballs and golfballs.With baseballs there is so much mass to overcome that this style is mandatory due to a straight arm throw.(i.e I do not bend my elbow or my old arm would break.)Check this boring video.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMj2Lx6SpFU
The first two throws are with the caulk tube pouch throwing golf balls.The last are baseballs.I feel like there must be power involved as an average throw is around 130 meters.That's good,I think,because a baseball weighs around 142 grams.

Brett

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

RoyUK
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #16 - Sep 3rd, 2013 at 5:13pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Sep 2nd, 2013 at 6:14am:
pirouette adds a very small amount of velocity garnered by the rotation and is only of any use for very long slings, where it's difficult to get a whiplash effect any other way.
It's not as powerful as the technique larry bray uses - which is based on a baseball pitchers technique but with a 50 inch sling.
But it is equally as inaccurate Smiley

The fact that it makes any kind of accuracy extremely difficult pretty much renders it for novelty usage only.

mrboss was a novelty Smiley

So royuk are you finally starting to realise that a 'knock on the head' from a sling stone, could not be easily shook off ? whistle 

And lead is better because of relative density.

The denser a missile is the more it laughs in the face of air resistance.
If only we could try a world record attempt with depleted uranium glandes, plus 500 metres should be easily doable Smiley

Hi Curious_Aardvark,

Yes its starting to finally be realized just how powerful these things are.

I do however still wonder both at the strength of the sling used back in the Goliath era and what was exactly hit on Goliath, as it appears it may not have been his head. 

Going again, with Caesar who says his officer was smacked full in the face yet continued fighting with a grevious wound, and also the context that Flavius Josephus puts the David Goliath fight into with regards to speedily decapitation by David (after his throw) as though the "Giant" was still only semi-conscious, makes me edge on the cautious side.

I will say again, I have little doubt that a skilled slinger TODAY hitting the head of a fully grown average guy and even larger than average will probably kill him - even if not immediately.  I am now wondering if the slings back 2000 years ago of Caesars times - especially Gaulish slings - were a little less able than ours.  Maybe it was the fact the Roman Officer would be wearing much better armour but I would not want to take that shot.

There is also the better or worse weaponary advantages going back a thousand years before this.  Ultimately all we have for past accounts is historical documents, and Flavius is way better than the Old Testament on this account.  In this episode the context shows Goliath to be stunned and David running to decapitate him, as though he could get up again.

Thats my "two cents" for what it's worth.

I am starting to find modern sling power very definitely powerful.  Still amazed I am around to write this. Cheesy

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #17 - Sep 4th, 2013 at 1:41am

Keep in mind,that todays slingers,sling once a week,maybe few times a week,but most just a few times a month.
And most slingers today,aren't preparing for going to war with a sling or slinging at wolfes,bears,etc.
Also most slingers today,don't live a fully physical lifestyle like ancient people did. Chopping wood,carrying sheep on your shoulder,smashing rock salt, carrying wooden buckets of water, hoeing,etc etc, all day everyday,will make you a bit more fit than the average modern keyboard warriors. And adding to this,growing up,and living with a sling,tied around your torso,never leaving the house/shed like the mobile phone,for today's folk.
Herding sheep with a sling,shooting to the left of the flock to make them turn right,and without killing or wounding them,and occasionally  sling at wild animals attacking also adds a bit.
Plus the rush of adrenalin,when there's a big frikkin armored guy in front of you,in a duel,and you have maybe two shots,and better get him down,otherwise you get cut to ribbons puts a bit more omph behind your shots also.

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #18 - Sep 4th, 2013 at 6:32pm

Respect for old-time warriors!

@Jax:
Only now I found your video.
Good work! I look gladly other pirouettes, because the style is rare. And Now I understand why your avatar is a skater. Smiley

IP Logged

RoyUK
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #19 - Sep 5th, 2013 at 7:33pm

Jlasud wrote :-
Quote:
Keep in mind,that todays slingers,sling once a week,maybe few times a week,but most just a few times a month.
And most slingers today,aren't preparing for going to war with a sling or slinging at wolfes,bears,etc.
Also most slingers today,don't live a fully physical lifestyle like ancient people did. Chopping wood,carrying sheep on your shoulder,smashing rock salt, carrying wooden buckets of water, hoeing,etc etc, all day everyday,will make you a bit more fit than the average modern keyboard warriors. And adding to this,growing up,and living with a sling,tied around your torso,never leaving the house/shed like the mobile phone,for today's folk.
Herding sheep with a sling,shooting to the left of the flock to make them turn right,and without killing or wounding them,and occasionally  sling at wild animals attacking also adds a bit.
Plus the rush of adrenalin,when there's a big frikkin armored guy in front of you,in a duel,and you have maybe two shots,and better get him down,otherwise you get cut to ribbons puts a bit more omph behind your shots also.

That right there in combo with classical accounts of an officer taking a sling to the face makes me wonder more and more, why does the sling in our times appear so terrifyingly deadly, and yet in Caesars records his officer is able to not only live but to continue fighting. 

Of course the historical records cannot always be relied on, and going back 2000, and especially 3000 years, there is certainly an element of propaganda there.  Even in our own times in 2001 it is unknown what truly happened despite our modern technology - unknown to most ordinary folk anyway  Grin.

SquirrelSlinger, I had no idea baseball throwers had that much power, truly amazing.

End of the day, if you are hit in the head with a 3-4 oz projectile at a speed of 200-300 feet per second, chances are good you will die.  If you are hit elsewhere, it will break that place hit.  This I understand.

I have underestimated the power of modern day slingers for sure!

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #20 - Sep 7th, 2013 at 1:29pm

Well,there were commanders that were killed with slings,and many more.
Also keep in mind that in battles they may have used picked up stones,that were maybe way small ,and way rough,just to throw something,and got slowed down after a long range to the point that they just smacked someone in the face real good without doing too much damage.And there was also propaganda that you mentioned. We won't know for sure..

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #21 - Sep 9th, 2013 at 3:23pm

what about tungensten? Its almost 2 times as dense as lead and much harder than either lead or uranium.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

TobyAttle
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Central U.S. Great Lakes Area
Reply #22 - Jun 8th, 2017 at 7:08pm

Using a 3/4'' galvanized steel bolt and the Balearic style I was able to shatter a brick sized solid stone into tiny fragments with one throw. The stone was most likely limestone. Later experiments showed that with a sledgehammer I had to use all my strength to get the same amount of damage to a similar sized stone of the same type. I am not a large man, but I am skilled in using an axe and with the same power I could cleanly split a dense black locust log in two.

A knifeless man is a lifeless man.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Kick, Chris, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15)