Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Timpa's amazing sling power. (Read 8349 times)
RoyUK
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Timpa's amazing sling power.
Aug 26th, 2013 at 4:13pm

Hi,

I doubt most on here are able to throw their projectiles with the same power as Timpa but I was looking at a youtube video of him and he showed a link to one of his websites where he shows his recorded speed of the sling projectile.

I use air rifles too and the legal limit in the UK is 12 foot pounds (12 ft.lb), any more and you need a fire arms certificate.  Anyhow,  there is a basic formula you can use to work out the "foot pounds" if you know the "feet per second" you are slinging your projectile, and its mass in grains. 

Timpa states in one video he is slinging a ball bearing that is around 2.47 oz which equates to 69 grams or 1037 grains.  He is slinging this thing at a very fast speed of 201 feet per second.  The basic air rifle formula for gauging foot pounds is (speed * speed * mass ) / 450240 = foot pounds.  The speed is in feet per seconds and mass is in grains (15 in a gram).

This means Timpa is achieving a whopping 93 foot pounds of energy !  It only takes 4 foot pounds to kill a rabbit.  Legal air rifles come in at only 12 ft.lb and even a mighty strong Gamekeeper catapult (a youtube catapult wizard) only reaches 23 ft.lb!

This is some slinging power!  Has anyone else done any chronography readings ?  Especially a reading at around 20 yards would be useful - although difficult without destroying your measuring device.

Dont know what the actual foot pounds is to potentially kill a human (only as hypothetical example you understand!) but I think this could well be up there.

Timpa, your shots are way way powerful man. 

Respect. Smiley

It was a heavy ball bearing which I myself have not used, but maybe some others on here have dont similar work ? 

Move this to a relevant thread if its already been covered.

Roy. Smiley

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Re: Timpa's amazing sling power.
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2013 at 8:38pm

Thanks!  Smiley
This just shows the power of the sling. I'm not a body builder, but an ordinary middle-aged guy.

Remembering David.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #2 - Aug 27th, 2013 at 1:08am

Timpa is pulling strings  Cheesy
I've measured 70 m/s average velocity at 20m (not "muzzle velocity") for a 57g lead gland. Around 40 m/s for ~ 150g stones.

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

RoyUK
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Aug 27th, 2013 at 2:59pm

Hi Timpa and Jlasud, both you are pulling some serious power there.  Jlasud, according to your feet per second, at 20 yards for a 57 gram lead gland you are throwing at a phenomenal 100 ft.lb!  Its only 7 above Timpa but this at 20 meters is quite extraordinary.  Assuming you could do a head shot, this has potential to maybe take out even Deer !  I will have to double check this but its very great power indeed.  I doubt any of my shots go this fast.

However, the 150 gram stones are far far slower and only come in at around 33 ft.lb but this is still very powerful. 

If you watch some youtube clips regarding catapult kills (slingshot in USA i believe) and especially a wizard with the catapult called GamekeeperJohn, then you will see the power a simple 33 ft.lb catapult has.  Its obvious advantage over the sling is accuracy (for most people anyhow), but the power the sling can deliver is truly awesome.

Starting to think more and more that big old Goliath was definitely somewhat poleaxed, but not yet killed outright lol  Grin

Good stuff guys.

BTW Timpa, you have a very unique way of slinging, and when I first watched you I never though you would get good accuracy with that, but it definitely works for you, and the power is quite awesome. 

I would try this technique for myself but no doubt my weighty frame would cause me to report yet another sling injury as I probably break an ankle in the spin hehe. Grin

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #4 - Aug 28th, 2013 at 12:32pm

Comparing a sling to a slingshot powerwise is like comparing a 9mm pistol to an AK 47 shot.

And 150 grams stone going with 40 m/s is 88.5 ft lbs  or 120 J
About as much KE as a .22 LR but probably more effective in transfering that energy to the target.

57 grams with 70 m/s is 103 ft lbs  and 139 J

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #5 - Aug 29th, 2013 at 3:48pm

check this out-
http://linko-sling.jimdo.com/teho-power/

its Timpa's website(I am sure you already know Wink)
Its quite impressive. timpa, can you post a vid of just throwing, i don't think i have ever seen your technique and these made my curiousity grow stronger...

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

timothy42b

Reply #6 - Aug 30th, 2013 at 3:06pm

How are the speeds measured?  I would never be accurate enough to get through a chronograph screen.

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #7 - Aug 30th, 2013 at 5:11pm

Bullet Chronograph triangle is hard to aim for.
I use a pocket radar. It gives the most accurate resultdirection that the radar flight path. Oblique flight path to reduce the actual speed.

True speed                      inaccuracy

0°                8°          18°          26°            

100mph         99mph    95mph    90mph   

37°        46° 
80mph    70mph

Still, easier to throw than the triangle through.

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #8 - Aug 30th, 2013 at 5:21pm

I should mention: I used to 1.3m long, ultra-thin and light sling.
(Like a mini-sling, but the 1.3 m long)

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #9 - Aug 31st, 2013 at 7:20pm

Remember Mr. Boss?  He also used the Pirouette Style.  He too had very impressive power.  He claimed to be able to sling a normal projectile 400 yards.  Some believed his claim, some didn't.   It's been almost two years since he last posted here. Mr. Boss, where are you?

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #10 - Sep 1st, 2013 at 5:14am

Some years ago,me and a buddy used to sling together. We used to call the pirouette the "double skrew". Once we were hiking in a remote area,and there was a concrete fence with half column like pieces on top, connected together with a conrete slab on top of them all. He picked up a decent stone,made a piruette,and took out one of the concrete columns. it was  about 4x2x7" piece of concrete. From ~ 10 yards,about 43" sling
Pirouette can be the most powerful sling style,especially with a long sling.

IP Logged

RoyUK
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Sep 1st, 2013 at 5:12pm

jlasud wrote on Aug 28th, 2013 at 12:32pm:
Comparing a sling to a slingshot powerwise is like comparing a 9mm pistol to an AK 47 shot.

And 150 grams stone going with 40 m/s is 88.5 ft lbs  or 120 J
About as much KE as a .22 LR but probably more effective in transfering that energy to the target.

57 grams with 70 m/s is 103 ft lbs  and 139 J

Thanks for correcting me on this.

jlasud wrote on Sep 1st, 2013 at 5:14am:
Some years ago,me and a buddy used to sling together. We used to call the pirouette the "double skrew". Once we were hiking in a remote area,and there was a concrete fence with half column like pieces on top, connected together with a conrete slab on top of them all. He picked up a decent stone,made a piruette,and took out one of the concrete columns. it was  about 4x2x7" piece of concrete. From ~ 10 yards,about 43" sling
Pirouette can be the most powerful sling style,especially with a long sling.

This sounds impressive.

I never before gave thought to what my sling was made of other than something comfortable for my fingers.  I use a very soft rope about 0.25 inch diameter and feels lovely to throw, and creates no blisters.

I used my river today as comparison for length and it seems I can chuck a lead 2oz ball 200 yards.  I can sling much farther than I can cast a 6oz lead on my fishing rod.

However when I use a simple 2oz pebble it only goes about 100 yards.  Lead always wins. Not scientific of course but only personal.

Realized though the power of a stone smashed against a wall not 20 yards in front of me - it smashes big time.  Amazing.

Does anyone know the power of a general human over-arm throw (without a sling) in ft.lbs ?

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #12 - Sep 1st, 2013 at 11:08pm

Quote:
The amount of torque needed to throw in excess of 100 MPH is greater than the amount of force the ulnar collateral ligament can withstand before giving out, according to tests on cadavers. When a pitcher cocks his arm, where it is turned back to the point where the palm is facing toward the sky, there's about 100 Newton-meters of torque on the arm, which subjects the arm to the same amount of stress as if the pitcher had a 60-pound weight hanging from his hand in that position.

Approx maximum human throw speed = ~150 FPS(about 100 miles per hour) cause of the limit on the speed of the muscles and the ligament. So if a sling doubles the velocity.. 300 FPS is the limit.

So... 5 oz is about the optimum a human can throw(e.g is heavy enough to have some force behind it, but light enough that it can still be thrown fast).

Max speed =~150 FPS.
Max energy- approx 110 foot-pounds.

so an average slinger can easily throw a projectile with near equel energy to a major league baseball pitcher trying their hardest.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #13 - Sep 2nd, 2013 at 5:42am

Jlasud wrote: "Pirouette can be the most powerful sling style,especially with a long sling."

I, too, I guess, that pirouette is most effective. Know anyone still powerful style?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #14 - Sep 2nd, 2013 at 6:14am

pirouette adds a very small amount of velocity garnered by the rotation and is only of any use for very long slings, where it's difficult to get a whiplash effect any other way.
It's not as powerful as the technique larry bray uses - which is based on a baseball pitchers technique but with a 50 inch sling.
But it is equally as inaccurate Smiley

The fact that it makes any kind of accuracy extremely difficult pretty much renders it for novelty usage only.

mrboss was a novelty Smiley

So royuk are you finally starting to realise that a 'knock on the head' from a sling stone, could not be easily shook off ? whistle 

And lead is better because of relative density.

The denser a missile is the more it laughs in the face of air resistance.
If only we could try a world record attempt with depleted uranium glandes, plus 500 metres should be easily doable Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, vetryan15, Morphy, Chris, Kick, Curious Aardvark)