Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Regarding possible slingling injuries...EYE SHOTS! (Read 7777 times)
RoyUK
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Regarding possible slingling injuries...EYE SHOTS!
Aug 12th, 2013 at 5:20pm

Hi there,

Just started slinging about 6 months ago and enjoyed every minute of it, until recently. 

I am self taught via youtube clips mainly and self practicing on farmland etc.  Anyhow, I thought it would be a good idea to mention my recent experiences and just show how BAD injuries can be from a sling - none I can see have been reported that I can find with my my online searching so far.

Like I said I love slinging and am practising daily despite my recent injury, but recently started messing with my string lengths and this along with my own STUPIDITY, almost caused me to lose an eye.

I always used prior to this a length of around 28 inches sling length fully extended, but recently started using shorter lengths, which feel much better for accuracy and quite a bit of distance too.  However, my technique (untrained) was flawed and this added with short strings cause me a major eye contact injury which ended up in my eyebrow (thankfully) taking the brunt. 

What happened was I was with my mate (never ever happened when alone) so probably the show-off factor clouded my mind.  I chose a huge stone, very dense and heavy and about the size of a fist sized pebble.  I was using the basic helicopter (slight diagonal/vertical) to achieve maximum distance.

I proceeded to swing my new short sling of 23 inches and said those famous words "Watch this"...  It ended up with me doing far too many rotations, then stupidly leaning down and in to the right (I am swinging right handed) and straight into a huge smack on my right eyebrow...Ouch!

I thought I had actually popped my eyeball at first but later realized only my eyebrow and pride were dented.

I have no idea how this really happened, other than my thinking was if I lean low, and spin fast and tight I could get a better distance throw.  Anyhow, it was pretty bad and I could easily have lost my eye. 

I post this just to show that its VERY possible to cause serious damage to yourself if you are not careful.  Like I said, I have been fine up until now without any injury for many months, but add a friend, and an ego, and an idiotic sling technique and all can go balls up.

Treat the sling with great respect my friends, and remember, short strings can be lethal - especially when you try to nut them!

I was an idiot but thankfully I am healing and have not lost an eye.  I have a 2 inch long deep fleshy gash along my eyebrow and somehow stayed conscious. 

Some people often theorize what a full shot in the face with one of these projectiles can do to a human face, well I can only think that if what I received was any indication, then one of these threw from an experienced slinger would have knocked me out at least, death at worst. 

Caesar himself writes how one of his officers managed to stay very much alive despite a full-face smack from a Celtic Slinger, and even managed to fight on - although he had no choice as they were besieged on all sides lol.

Hopefully, this will be a useful post to your forum regarding slinging injuries, without you having been dumb enough to experience this first hand.

Thanks for reading, and safe slinging!

Roy.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Re: Regarding possible slingling injuries...EYE SHOTS!
Reply #1 - Aug 12th, 2013 at 7:50pm

I nocked a tooth loose when a rock ricocheting off a tree hit me in the mouth

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #2 - Aug 12th, 2013 at 7:57pm

And I brained myself in the back of the head with a tennis ball. If I practiced with stones...

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
Reply #3 - Aug 12th, 2013 at 8:36pm

Roy,

Thanks for sharing your painful experience with us, it's a very real reminder of the dangerous nature of slinging. I post slinging demonstrations on YouTube and it's always a fear of mine that someone will injure themselves as a result. Although I always recommend using tennis balls or foam balls and encourage newcomers to avoid using stones I know this isn't always the case.  Accidents happen and are much more devastating in extreme sports and possibly life endangering activities like slinging. Everyone slings at their own risk, however the lives of others are also in your responsibility if they are spectating or slinging irresponsibly in public areas (eg. using stones or golf balls).

The shortest sling I have ever used is 25 inches but I haven't had any problems like that. I think it was more so about the showing off factor haha. Shorter slings are more suited to slinging techniques such as Apache style for good reason. Anyhow, I hope you still continue to sling in safe manners and take good precautions in the future.

I think I'll make a video centered around the dangers of the sling using this as an example or case study. Would that be okay Roy?

IP Logged

Radegunde
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

France
Reply #4 - Aug 13th, 2013 at 4:56am

Thank you Roy!!
Now I finally know why my parents forbade me slinging and playing with sling-like stuff when I was a child! I always thought they feared I could hurt someone else (which seemed exaggerated when there was no one else who could be hurt) but with your story I come to realize that they actually feared I could hurt myself!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Aug 13th, 2013 at 7:01am

lol slings are practical down to about 18 inches. After that they are really too short for anything but the over the shoulder direct throw style and don't add much extra impetus to a hand throw at that.

But the best results are always made with a sling the right length for the slinger in question.

Hold the middle of the pouch, with your arm stretched out to the side,  and the end of the retention cord should reach between your shoulder and breast the side you're holding the sling.
Or hold the sling ready to throw with your arm hangign straight dow and the sling pouch should be 1-2 inches off the ground.

Other lengths are useful for particular styles and purposes - but that basic guide will give you  a multipurpose sling suited to your body size.

I'm sort of impressed that you hit yourself in the front of your head roy, seen people hit themselves in the back of their heads, but never in the front  Wink 

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

RoyUK
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Aug 13th, 2013 at 8:35am

Camo-sling wrote on Aug 12th, 2013 at 8:36pm:
Roy,

Thanks for sharing your painful experience with us, it's a very real reminder of the dangerous nature of slinging. I post slinging demonstrations on YouTube and it's always a fear of mine that someone will injure themselves as a result. Although I always recommend using tennis balls or foam balls and encourage newcomers to avoid using stones I know this isn't always the case.  Accidents happen and are much more devastating in extreme sports and possibly life endangering activities like slinging. Everyone slings at their own risk, however the lives of others are also in your responsibility if they are spectating or slinging irresponsibly in public areas (eg. using stones or golf balls).

The shortest sling I have ever used is 25 inches but I haven't had any problems like that. I think it was more so about the showing off factor haha. Shorter slings are more suited to slinging techniques such as Apache style for good reason. Anyhow, I hope you still continue to sling in safe manners and take good precautions in the future.

I think I'll make a video centered around the dangers of the sling using this as an example or case study. Would that be okay Roy?

Yeah I have no problems with that Camo, a video would definitely be a good idea.

Looks like I am not alone regarding sling injuries after all lol. 

Safe slinging!

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Aug 13th, 2013 at 8:54am

Tennis balls are recommended for beginners for a reason.  I have also seen someone whack himself in the eye, he had a really nice shiner for about three days.

He tried helicopter, he went way too fast, did all his rotation in the wrist, dropped his elbow, and then didn't let go of the retention cord when he threw.  He did everything that I told him NOT to do, the sling wrapped around his head two or three times and the pouch with the tennis ball whacked him dead center of his left eye. 

He had never even seen a sling until he saw me throw with one, he tried to copy what he thought I was doing, even though I had told him repeatedly to start with simpler throws. 

I should have used small words, those two and three part words were too hard for him to know. 

And there was a girl there... Roll Eyes

IP Logged

RoyUK
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Aug 13th, 2013 at 9:42am

Bill Skinner wrote on Aug 13th, 2013 at 8:54am:
Tennis balls are recommended for beginners for a reason.  I have also seen someone whack himself in the eye, he had a really nice shiner for about three days.

He tried helicopter, he went way too fast, did all his rotation in the wrist, dropped his elbow, and then didn't let go of the retention cord when he threw.  He did everything that I told him NOT to do, the sling wrapped around his head two or three times and the pouch with the tennis ball whacked him dead center of his left eye. 

Yeah that pretty much sums up how I did it, except I had more of a side on vertical spin not an overhead one. 

Like you said something like tennis balls are good to use at first and I did use these for a while but I found them too large personally, and instead I used squash balls which are perfect size - they also have added bonus of being able to weight them with sand or soil inside via a small cut.  Wrap this up with duct tape and you're good to go.

Anyhow, good advice mate. Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #9 - Aug 14th, 2013 at 8:31am

Hi, Roy;
   Welcome.  I'm very sorry that you hurt yourself in that manner.  At least you didn't loose an eye.  I've had a few close calls but so far the only thing I seriously injured is my wife's windshield. (She still doesn't know that it was me who broke it. She thinks a dump truck full of gravel did it.) 
    Your post serves as a good reminder that slinging is dangerous business.  Even someone who has been slinging for six months can have a serious accident.  Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Aug 14th, 2013 at 8:47am

Camo-sling quote "I think I'll make a video centered around the dangers of the sling using this as an example or case study."

Are you going to use a tennis ball and show multiples ways how you can hit yourself in the face with a sling?  Tongue

If so, I'm definitely adding that to favorites. Wink

As you can see in the proverb in my sig, even in Solomon's day they could see the repercussions of the rock staying in the sling pouch.

I've dodged a few ricochets and in the first month I had a few shots that went off in crazy directions and I've been hit in the hand by a walnut that my friend slung (way late release on a Greek sidearm throw), but otherwise my slinging has been pretty predictable.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #11 - Aug 14th, 2013 at 11:36am

Bill Skinner wrote on Aug 13th, 2013 at 8:54am:

He had never even seen a sling until he saw me throw with one, he tried to copy what he thought I was doing, even though I had told him repeatedly to start with simpler throws. 

I should have used small words, those two and three part words were too hard for him to know. 

And there was a girl there... Roll Eyes 

And there was the baseball guy who hit me in the face with a tennis ball trying to impress his girlfriend.

Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

RoyUK
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Aug 14th, 2013 at 4:39pm

Dan wrote on Aug 14th, 2013 at 8:47am:
Camo-sling quote "I think I'll make a video centered around the dangers of the sling using this as an example or case study."

Are you going to use a tennis ball and show multiples ways how you can hit yourself in the face with a sling?  Tongue

Grin Nice one mate and damn funny, but he should make this video.  It would be easy to reproduce with eye goggles and tennis ball or squash ball ammo, no probs.  I feel that not much - if anything - is mentioned online about possible dangerous incapacitating shots like these that are clearly capable - I trained several months. 

Granted I did this to myself via my own stupidity but I simply followed online guides and nothing was said of injuries.  Had I been out camping for a week like I usually do, this could have been a very big problem with nobody around for a couple of days.

This should be taken more seriously that is all I am saying.

Most people do not have personal trainers in these "extreme" and outdated sports, and all they have is their computer, youtube, and hopefully someone on there experienced and smart enough to show how to do, and how not to do.

Funny poopy though.

Roy.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #13 - Aug 14th, 2013 at 9:58pm

Well... There was this thread that beginners are recommended to visit with it's safety warnings. It's just that until now the two warnings weren't at the top of the list.

WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
Reply #14 - Aug 15th, 2013 at 1:18am

Dan wrote on Aug 14th, 2013 at 8:47am:

You guys can leave in the comments your estimates on how many brain cells I lost filming the video! Tongue

Masiaka, i'll add that link to the video when I get around to making it. As a side note, I think everyone has done a great job promoting the use of tennis balls to newcomers in the last year, especially Bill Skinner.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Morphy, Kick)