Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Occasional slings on Etsy (Read 5304 times)
Eoraptor
Funditor

Aim small, miss small.

Great Lakes Region (USA)
Occasional slings on Etsy
Jul 30th, 2013 at 9:10pm

'Lo, slinging.org crew! 
I've been scarce of late, I know (I used to have free time, until higher education attacked), but I am keeping up with my slinging offline.  In hopes of at least breaking even on my primitive arts habit, I've opened a small Etsy store.  I hope to keep at least one sling in the store at all times, but I am starting with basic ones.  Not especially pretty, perhaps, but these are the workhorses, perfect for beginners who want a sling that will take some abuse.  Elk hide- tough stuff, my favorite pouch material! 
I hope to also eventually list some slings that will be worth the time of the more experienced slingers here, but it looks like Timothy Potter has a corner on the 'drop dead gorgeous sling' market   Shocked
I will post links to new listings here.

My shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheRaptorRoost?ref=si_shop

Custom listing for a basic sling: https://www.etsy.com/listing/213149265/custom-sling-historic-weapon?ref=shop_hom...

Others: https://www.etsy.com/listing/223902090/sling-historic-weapon-reconstruction?ref=...

If anyone wants a sling of custom length, material, pouch shape (I'm mostly working with elk hide right now), etc- convo me on Etsy (I am not here often!) and we'll work something out.

Go well, my friends!  It is good to see you all again- salutations to all the new members!  (Am I an oldtimer now?!?)
« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2015 at 11:55am by Eoraptor »  

"The very fact that there is life here at all, and that everything that's alive today, is so, because everything else passed away."  -Jack Horner
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
"Yet the finer they were the frailer; the cleverer, the more wrong-headed."   -North

IP Logged

Eoraptor
Funditor

Aim small, miss small.

Great Lakes Region (USA)
Re: Occasional slings on Etsy
Reply #1 - May 5th, 2014 at 9:19pm

Gearing up for making some nicer slings- with some striped 4-strand and kumihimo braided arms!  Takes too long, but I like kumihimo, you guys...  Mostly jute, but attached is one made of cotton and linen that I just finished.
Basic slings start at $14  (no pattern)
Patterned slings start at $16 (two color stripe)
Kumihimo slings start at $26  (eight strand, two color spiral)
Elk hide pouches are my standard, slings get more expensive with color and more time consuming braids.
Shipping is $3 inside the US  (folks overseas drop me a line- I'll try to figure your shipping)

Here's a listing for a patterned sling: https://www.etsy.com/listing/213883782/sling-historic-weapon-reconstruction-elk?...
« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2015 at 11:58am by Eoraptor »  

"The very fact that there is life here at all, and that everything that's alive today, is so, because everything else passed away."  -Jack Horner
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
"Yet the finer they were the frailer; the cleverer, the more wrong-headed."   -North

IP Logged

Eoraptor
Funditor

Aim small, miss small.

Great Lakes Region (USA)
Reply #2 - Dec 4th, 2014 at 1:27am

Don't know why it took me so long to think to CORD TWO LEATHER THONGS on the most basic of slings, but I finally did it and love the results.  A simple but pleasing (and probably essentially immortal) sling.  And you can coil it and hang it on your hip whist you hum the Indiana Jones theme to yourself.  So that's a plus.
Here's the listing for a leather sling: https://www.etsy.com/listing/213886822/100-leather-sling-historic-weapon?ref=lis...
« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2015 at 11:58am by Eoraptor »  

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Dec 4th, 2014 at 8:35pm

Hi Eoraptor, long time no see.  I like the new sling, it is simple yet elegant.

IP Logged

Eoraptor
Funditor

Aim small, miss small.

Great Lakes Region (USA)
Reply #4 - Dec 7th, 2014 at 6:13pm

Yeah, I visit every once and a while but don't comment much.  Kinda slow around here of late, yes?  Nice to see familiar faces still about, though.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
past-moderator

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #5 - Dec 10th, 2014 at 6:57pm

It's great to see you again, I feel the same.
Your works are amazing, by the way, you're really skilled. How's the school going? Have you already thrown that crooked knife? Smiley
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Eoraptor
Funditor

Aim small, miss small.

Great Lakes Region (USA)
Reply #6 - Dec 16th, 2014 at 5:00pm

Thank you, Mauro! 
School is not so grand.  I've never liked it, and gathering debt for the privilege of doing work I despised was... grating.  I didn't pick up classes this semester.  The odds are slim that I ever will again, but I won't rule it out.  Still no idea what I want to do with my life, either.   Undecided

Nope!  Haven't thrown the crooked knife yet!  I worked the handle down a little, because I have small hands, but still need to work the edge more before I get into any big projects with it.  It's awesome, though, and we've used it in a couple programs (traditional tools talks, no metalworking talks yet).  I've been meaning to ask you, do you use any different materials to sharpen them than you would a regular knife?
Also, I do not know if it is a custom across the pond, but here the carving of crooked knife handles was something of a competition between their owners.  I was thinking about adding some designs to the wood, and wondered if there are any patterns commonly used on crooked knife handles over there?  Decorating the handle with designs deserving of it's origins would be the least I could do...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark)