Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Staff Sling Accuracy Potential (Read 8101 times)
Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Staff Sling Accuracy Potential
Jul 16th, 2013 at 10:18am

I've been doing some thinking lately about Staff Slings. I know this forum is primarily made up of hand slinger's who dabble in staff slinging but has anyone actually honed in their staff slinging accuracy? Is it possible to match or surpass the hand sling in accuracy (generally speaking)?
Could it be used for hunting large game?

I personally only have a few hours under my belt when it comes to staff slinging, enough to enjoy it but not close to enough to be as accurate as my hand sling. What are your experiences with Staff slinging and how much potential for accuracy does it have?

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Re: Staff Sling Accuracy Potential
Reply #1 - Jul 16th, 2013 at 2:25pm

Also have a few hours of playin with it. Can't see any real advantage to it,than maybe lobbing bit bigger stones,and many disadvantages. So far it didn't convince me,but i'd like to be "converted". Even though the release is automatic,and logic would say,it's taking the hardest factor of aiming slings out,it still has other variables to it. Exact grip,ammo weight and the way you move your body,still,highly influences the moment of release. Maybe with the same amount of training,you get somewhat more accurate. So far it's not convincing me to train with it,instead of the hand sling. It has way less range,i think because the sling is making less than 180 degree rotation,and a hand sling is accelerating 360+degrees. Plus the stick adds quite some weight and additional air drag to it that seems to cancel out the bigger radius,that the staff provides.

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #2 - Jul 16th, 2013 at 4:06pm

I have messed with staff slinging quite a bit. The learning curve is different, more steep- after a few hours you can easily hit targets. I think in theory, yes, it has more accuracy... but with humans, there is error.
Its easier to lob small stones farther than with a normal sling(I often tie my sling onto the end of a stick)... its also MUCH easier to chuck big stones.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #3 - Jul 17th, 2013 at 2:06am

Getting bigger distance ,with ~egg sized stones with a staff sling,is something that i can't believe. With a hand sling,i can get one like 170m ,with a staff sling,maybe 100-120m. Of course i'm beginner with it, but just doesn't feel like it could happen. I'd like to exp. that i'm wrong.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Jul 17th, 2013 at 9:50am

staff slings are potentially more accurate.
It's an easier motion to repeat.

It's a much much shallower learning curve. You can teach a non-slinger to put a projectile a good distance in front of themselves with a staff sling, every time, in just a few minutes.
Not possible with a hand sling.

Distance wise, i'd say a hand sling should always win.
But a staff sling will sling straight every time - so will take a lot less time to be consistent and consistently accurate with.   
And is generally better for larger missiles.

Although it's all relative.

I could sling a heavy rock further with a hand sling than a normal person with a staff sling.
But I'm off the deep end of the normal distribution curve, so atypical.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #5 - Jul 17th, 2013 at 11:52am

It seems to me that I am getting better distance(but I haven't measured it with small-tiny stones. Only big ones) because it goes in a much higher arc...
But If I had to pick, hand sling cause I KNOW it goes far.
Jilasud, you are probably right.
I really need to get one of those distance-meter thingees with the wheel, the 25' tape measure just isn't practical anymore. How much does a 100' tape measure cost?
BTW, I haven't chucked eggs with a staff sling since way back when I was experimenting with shorter, more accurate slings about 15-20". Now with longer slings, I have no doubt the hand sling goes farther.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #6 - Jul 17th, 2013 at 1:16pm

If I remember correctly Jaegoor has plenty of experience with staff slings. I think he also wrote several times about it. On his homepage (fundamittere) he mentions that you can tune the gripping of the staff so that you can shoot with an accuracy of a meter on distance.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #7 - Jul 17th, 2013 at 4:46pm

I've been wondering about this for awhile.  But I always assumed the staff sling would be too restrictive since it's release was automatic.  I agree that "in theory" it should be more accurate simply because the motion is so simple and there's very little human element.  But at the same time how difficult would it be to consistently change your grip to hit a target at different ranges?  To me it seems overly difficult, but who knows?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Jul 18th, 2013 at 7:29am

you don't need to adjust your grip.

Staff slings don't actually have an automatic release angle - what they do have is an automatic release speed.

So by adjusting when you incorporate the final effort in the throw you can easily adjust at which point in the arc the sling releases.
It's similiar to using an atlatl - you build the power in the throw gradually rather than just heave as hard as you can right from the start.

The angle you hold the staff also has an effect. Plus you can adjust the length of the release section.

I'd recommend anyone to use a hoopack instead of a traditional staff sling.

1) much easier to make
2) easier to use
3) more options in adjusting release point (you can twist as well as adjust angle and speed of throw)
4) double as a thumb walking stick.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #9 - Jul 19th, 2013 at 6:41pm

o.k the hoopack has my interest is it really as simple as it looks

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #10 - Jul 21st, 2013 at 5:48am

And can rifle spin,which,regular staff slings can't. =more range potential.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Jul 22nd, 2013 at 11:24am

Quote:
o.k the hoopack has my interest is it really as simple as it looks

yep.
forked end to your stick.
Make a shallow groove around the middle of one fork and tie your retention cord there.
whittle the release cord fork until it's very smooth. adjust the length of the release side until a steady gentle throw releases forward.

Once that's set you can adjust release points further by technique and when you apply the final 'oommphh' part of the throw.

Essentially it's a normal sling with one end tied to the hoopack and the release end with a loop to slip over the other fork.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #12 - Jul 22nd, 2013 at 7:04pm

ok one shall be made soon

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #13 - Jul 26th, 2013 at 3:38pm

I've made maybe a half a dozen staff slings and used them a bit.  For me there's no big difference in accuracy or range between hand and staff slings.  The big advantage for staff slings is that you can launch much larger projectiles just as far as with a hand sling and you can do so almost effortlessly.  The disadvantage is that you can't put a couple of staff slings in your pocket.

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #14 - Jul 26th, 2013 at 4:42pm

While pinpoint accuracy might be difficult, a staff sling will generally only fire in one direction - straight forward.  And it will either fire in a horizontal or "ballistic" trajectory.  With this knowledge I was at least able, with some practice to hurl snowballs reasonably accurate at a garbage can a few winters ago.  Of course the target need to be some distance away, because the ammo begins it`s flight rather high.  But it`s not all that hard to figure this out with enough practice Wink

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, vetryan15, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)