Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Some tomahawk practice (Read 2074 times)
David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Some tomahawk practice
Jul 9th, 2013 at 2:06pm

Cold Steel Trail Hawk on a 15" handle.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Re: Some tomahawk practice
Reply #1 - Jul 9th, 2013 at 6:09pm

It looks like you ain't trying to throw that thing! (I can never get anything to stick. is a end grain log that much better?) w

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Jul 9th, 2013 at 8:26pm

End grain is best, the targets  tend to last a lot longer but if you throw it right, it will stick in most wooden targets.  Plywood is an exception.  It also destroys the targets pretty quickly. Angry

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #3 - Aug 8th, 2013 at 12:27pm

Bill Skinner wrote on Jul 9th, 2013 at 8:26pm:
End grain is best, the targets  tend to last a lot longer but if you throw it right, it will stick in most wooden targets.  Plywood is an exception.  It also destroys the targets pretty quickly. Angry

chipboard?
end grain... hm...

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Fx 2000
Descens

Zielst Du noch, oder triffst
Du schon?

Karlsruhe Germany
Reply #4 - Aug 9th, 2013 at 6:41pm

The brain is a fantastic thing, if you use it.&&Früher war ich klein und gemein, heute bin ich größer und böser.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Aug 11th, 2013 at 1:01pm

Nice throws Fx!

End grain of softer woods are definitely better. I have a Cyprus cross sections that works well. I've also tried seasoned hickory but its pretty tough to get a good stick on.  (rotted will work allright though)

I had a hawk throwing fling last year. Its definitely really fun. I feel like I'm in Patriot every time.

Anyone who throws often, try keeping your wrist straight, not 'snapping' it, and work at different ranges by holding at different positions on the handle. You can get pretty consistent sticks from varying distances with that method.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Kjev

Limits exist only in your
mind

Reply #6 - Aug 24th, 2013 at 3:31pm

Cottonwood and willow make good targets as well. Elm works okay. One important thing to remember is the thickness of the target, simply because if left outside, it will weather and eventually split. Thick targets seem to last longer.

K'Jev  Cool
"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter"--Yoda

https://www.facebook.com/StormsForge
WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Chris)