Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
explanation of how i broke the forum - this week ! (Read 2297 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
explanation of how i broke the forum - this week !
Jul 4th, 2013 at 6:50am

okay.
Basically we had two folders that contained attachements, avatars, templates etc.

For some reason the forum was not reading those files properly.

So I moved things around so that the layout was back to the original forum layout before I updated it.

This worked partially as the forum started to admit that attachments fodler existed. But for some reason that still remains unknown, the forum templates folder turned invisible to html.

So why I could see the folder, edit it, change permissions etc. browsers refused to admit it existed.

I've fixed that by ignoring all the file permission settinsg you are supposed to apply.

This problem wasn't helped by someone over at yabbforums insisting the folder did not exist - even when I could access it, edit it and show him pictures of it's existence.

fingers crossed it'll stay fixed.

There may be minor template changes in the future as I try to get things back to how they were. But (pleasepleaseletitbeso) I'm hoping that the majority of problems we've been having since the upgrade should now be fixed.
All folder and file paths are now what they always used to be - and I think that was the root of most of the problems.

If you're still having problems - let me know and I'll headbutt the nearest masonry obstruction.
And then try and fix it Smiley

I know the navigation menu needs to go back - that should be doable without any major issues (lol).
Anything else just let me know.

CA   

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Ney
Tiro

Re: explanation of how i broke the forum - this week !
Reply #1 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 7:02am

Phew, I'm glad that's over. Smiley
I thought it was something much worse (complete data loss), I'm glad I was proven wrong. Smiley

All hail CA for fixing the forum!  Smiley

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #2 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 7:20am

CA, you are doing a great job!

Minor things I noticed:
Embedded pictures are not displayed. If you quote the message with the picture in it, you get the right code.

Attached pictures are not displayed at the end of the post as it used to be. But they are downloadable, so that's not that tragic.

The database is fully working for me e.g. I can access all attachments save page 250 of the pictures thread. There are some attachments deleted signs (two posts from hubert, one from Dutchy). I guess they went somewhere missing while moving  Wink

IP Logged

crashtestdummy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 7:29am

about 26 of the original files in the attachments folder would not re-upload from the initial upgrade. No idea why or which ones noidea

yep aware of the pics and avatars not displaying - although the settings in the admin section say they should be.
But at least now they are accessible.

I'll keep fiddling until they do Smiley

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #4 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 11:28am

Thanks for putting the time and effort to fix this CA!

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Rat Man)