Send Topic Print
Wool slings (Read 3208 times)
Lugh-Lamhfada

A slinger is only as good
as his last stone

An Mhi, Ireland
Wool slings
Jun 16th, 2013 at 2:29pm

I recently made my first entirely wool sling, a Peruvian. I took it out for a test run and stopped after a few stones finding it erratic. I am used to tapered hemp and sisal Balearic slings and perhaps I just need to adjust to the feel of a wool sling.

I also found the pouch slippery, losing the stone before release.

Has anyone else found that wool slings are less efficient or is it just myself?

"Andraste Basbochorbhan"- Andraste brings death to the wicked

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Re: Wool slings
Reply #1 - Jun 16th, 2013 at 3:18pm

I find my wool slings quite efficient but I need to adjust to the feel of them compared to hemp/jute slings.  I also need to adjust  to the feel of paracord/leather pouch slings, so it`s just a matter getting used to the sling at hand. 
A wool sling should be braided pretty "hard" or it might well be to elastic to be efficient.

If the ammo slip out of the pouch to early the issue is probably not slipperyness(?) but construction.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #2 - Jun 16th, 2013 at 5:52pm

I like the look of wool but it stretches so I've decided to use a static core. I find it's also really light and kind of wooshes the air instead of cutting the air. I can't throw as far or as accurately and trying to compensate just makes me work harder:(

IP Logged

Ptolemy
Tiro

Slinging tennis balls!

England
Reply #3 - Jun 16th, 2013 at 9:02pm

I used a natural wool sling for a couple of weeks and I can say that my experience of it wasn't any less accurate or powerful than my previous sisal sling - although it was a few inches longer, so maybe that compensated for it.

My latest sling is a round braid sling and I think this is where you're losing your stones, because my round braid sling loses it's ammo before release a lot more often than my 3braid style sling did - I think it's something to do with the roundness of the pouch, maybe it rolls off the stone easier?

I'm planning on making a Balearic style wool sling in the next few days, so I'll see if that makes it any better for holding ammo, since the pouch will be flatter, of course.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Jun 16th, 2013 at 10:20pm

If you want a sling that looks like wool, but has the feel of a heavier sling; plait the yarn over a hemp core Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 7:34am

A lot of the members here have sent me wool slings.  I like them but they are more stretchy than slings made of other materials.  It usually takes just a few shots to get used to this.

IP Logged

Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
Reply #6 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 7:52am

Woolen slings are visually good looking and look good on a wall. For actual use they are too light for me. A dry fire with a woolen sling doesn't quite work nor with lighter stones. I haven't found woolen pouches to be slippery except for with golf balls?

IP Logged

Lugh-Lamhfada

as his last stone

An Mhi, Ireland
Reply #7 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 8:08am

I think the pouch was badly made, the split was not wide enough and because it is so soft and not rigid it doesnt hold as well as my sisal with leather.

Its a shame really, its pretty but not very practical!

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #8 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 11:30am

Lugh-Lamhfada wrote on Jun 17th, 2013 at 8:08am:
I think the pouch was badly made, the split was not wide enough and because it is so soft and not rigid it doesnt hold as well as my sisal with leather.

Lugh-Lamhfada wrote on Jun 17th, 2013 at 8:08am:

My wool slings has a skinny split pouch inside which I sew a knit patch = solid pouch.  My older ones had a woven Rockman type split pouch which also worked great.  I can see how a standard (Balearic type) split pouch don`t work well in wool.

IP Logged

Radegunde
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

France
Reply #9 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 3:04pm

Hello Lugh-Lamhfada,
may I ask what kind of wool did you use? Fine or coarse?
Sheep (what kind of breed?), alpaca, mohair, other?
Some kinds of wool are more elastic and more slippery than others.
I suppose authentic peruvian would be alpaca or vicuna - and probably not the same stuff as the softly spun alpaca knitting yarn...

IP Logged

Lugh-Lamhfada

as his last stone

An Mhi, Ireland
Reply #10 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 3:07pm

Its sheeps wool as far as I can tell

IP Logged

Radegunde
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

France
Reply #11 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 3:56am

Whatever the kind of wool is (can't tell from a photo), it sure is an example of really beautiful craftmanship! Congrats!!  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris)