Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Best place for slinging ? (Read 3717 times)
Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Best place for slinging ?
Jun 9th, 2013 at 11:43am

I've slung just about anywhere I could; not picky. However, what would be the best place for slinging ? Something like this--

1. It must have a good ammo supply. That means water-smoothed pebbles.
2. It has to have a cliff face, for precision shooting
3. It has to have an open body of water, for distance shooting.

Therefore: a pebble beach, with a cliff at the back or the side. If I can't have feature 3., I'll have the first 2: a river bank, with a good stretch of pebble, and a cliff nearby.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Re: Best place for slinging ?
Reply #1 - Jun 9th, 2013 at 12:11pm

I like the idea, but I suggest a 4th criteria. Another slinger should be there as well.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #2 - Jun 9th, 2013 at 12:52pm

I like the railroad tracks.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #3 - Jun 9th, 2013 at 1:32pm

Tomas wrote on Jun 9th, 2013 at 12:52pm:
I like the railroad tracks.

I don't cause I don't want to go to jail and I also don't want to be run over by a train Shocked

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

hassan
Descens

On the path of the Benjamites

Texas, USA
Reply #4 - Jun 9th, 2013 at 2:56pm

Oklahoma. But watch out for the tornadoes.

I really need to buy more paracord.&&And practice more.&&And braid more . . . &&

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #5 - Jun 9th, 2013 at 3:14pm

My usual slinging place has a limestone cliff that's crumbling into fist size stones-- nice, but they're too rough-- I suspect that affects accuracy, and I'm sure that it wears down my pouch and release cord.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #6 - Jun 9th, 2013 at 3:31pm

My place has tons of stone that used to have sharp edges but is now smoothed.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Jun 9th, 2013 at 4:01pm

Creeks, dry washes, mesas. Anywhere in the forest where there is plenty of ammo Roll Eyes

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #8 - Jun 9th, 2013 at 4:05pm

#1 plenty good stones.
#2 the crap away from the public,properties etc. (babylon)
#3 slinging buddy(ies)

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Lugh-Lamhfada

A slinger is only as good
as his last stone

An Mhi, Ireland
Reply #9 - Jun 9th, 2013 at 5:37pm

Thearos wrote on Jun 9th, 2013 at 11:43am:
I've slung just about anywhere I could; not picky. However, what would be the best place for slinging ? Something like this--

Therefore: a pebble beach, with a cliff at the back or the side. If I can't have feature 3., I'll have the first 2: a river bank, with a good stretch of pebble, and a cliff nearby.

That essentially describes my slinging spot, open beach full of great rocks, a cliff and sea for long distance with safety. The beach also has two rivers feeding across it to the sea so more stones at river mouth and in river itself.

Directly beside it there is an Army Cadets shooting range, a large grass area with a bunker and trench and at one end are eight numbered targets. Perfect for training a slinger army, or holding a sling meet etc.

"Andraste Basbochorbhan"- Andraste brings death to the wicked

IP Logged

hassan
Descens

On the path of the Benjamites

Texas, USA
Reply #10 - Jun 9th, 2013 at 7:11pm

Lugh-Lamhfada wrote on Jun 9th, 2013 at 5:37pm:
Thearos wrote on Jun 9th, 2013 at 11:43am:

That essentially describes my slinging spot, open beach full of great rocks, a cliff and sea for long distance with safety. The beach also has two rivers feeding across it to the sea so more stones at river mouth and in river itself.

Directly beside it there is an Army Cadets shooting range, a large grass area with a bunker and trench and at one end are eight numbered targets. Perfect for training a slinger army, or holding a sling meet etc.

Tell me where this is.

I really need to buy more paracord.&&And practice more.&&And braid more . . . &&

IP Logged

Lugh-Lamhfada

A slinger is only as good
as his last stone

An Mhi, Ireland
Reply #11 - Jun 10th, 2013 at 6:20am

Its in Ireland!

"Andraste Basbochorbhan"- Andraste brings death to the wicked

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #12 - Jun 14th, 2013 at 9:20pm

As most of you know, I sling while walking the Huskies so I have a lot of favorite places.  I guess the best is where I set my personal distance record.  It's a field next to an arm of a huge quarry lake.  It's about a 40' straight drop down to the bottom. There's a beach at the end of the arm.  Also there's beach in places around the base of the cliff.  There are a couple of steep access trails down the cliff to the beaches.  The mouth of the arm is about 200 yards across. 
    Anyway, there are all the perfect, oval shaped, smooth river stones that you could ever dream of.  If you're lucky there will be a wind at your back so you can let your stones fly.
    BTW, my record is 200+ yards.  That was with stones.  I know I could have gotten more distance if I'd used golf balls.  Unfortunately, since my operation about two years ago I haven't been able to sling that far.  I'm slowly getting it back.  I can sling about 150 yards on a good day now.
   One of the best things about this place is that it's almost always completely deserted.

IP Logged

Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
Reply #13 - Jun 15th, 2013 at 5:24am

I hate slinging at the beach, it always seems to be too windy to get a good cast off. This is my criteria:

- Lot's of rocks
- Lot's of space
- No people
- Trees or interesting terrain features to target!

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Jun 16th, 2013 at 6:11pm

Wind is really annoying, especially with lighter ammo, because it destroys your distance.

So a calm, moderate size body of water, beach with a mix of sand and golf ball sized stones, plus with some driftwood on the beach for targets.

I found that spot in Algonquin Park in CA and it was awesome.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Chris, vetryan15, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Kick)