Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
NOAA predicts active 2013 Atlantic hurricane seaso (Read 1773 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
NOAA predicts active 2013 Atlantic hurricane seaso
Jun 2nd, 2013 at 5:38pm

The title says it all.  If this is correct we're going to be very busy (and wet) this hurricane season.  One thing that bothers me is New Jersey's "Stronger Than the Storm" slogan.  To me it's sort of flying in God's face, as with the Titanic.  We have to keep in mind that Sandy, freakazoid that she was, was only a weak category one hurricane that happened to become a nor'easter over top of us.  Yes, we are recovering but what if she had been a category three or four?  It's a matter of when, not if, so I think we'd be better off not challenging God or Mother Nature.  As the oceans warm large hurricanes will be hitting farther and farther north.  Cities like Philadelphia, New York, Boston, Hartford, etc., etc.. are in the cross hairs more and more.  It's only a matter of time before we have a real tragedy.  Let's walk a little more softly and not dare nature.  
    So does anyone have a hurricane prediction for this year?  Will we be busy or what?

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Re: NOAA predicts active 2013 Atlantic hurricane s
Reply #1 - Jun 2nd, 2013 at 5:45pm

Well... I am going to say yes, as we are just past the maximum on the sunspot cycle.
Sunspots seem to affect the weather here on earth, the more sunspots them more violent weather.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

ChuckRocks

Leverage Artillery Design
Engineer

The Florida Outback, USA
Reply #2 - Jun 2nd, 2013 at 8:37pm

NOAA make the same prediction every year: "More and worse".
Living in Florida, we are very aware of hurricanes. Hurricane Barbara not withstanding.
(We received no advisory warnings about Barbara, just a lot of rain lately.)

I believe that NOAA has adopted the policy which allows them to sound dire warnings and if they are wrong, no one will care but if they're right then the get to harvest all the credit and a bigger budget for next year.

My prediction:
It's the season for Hurricanes, buy a licence and get your bag limit.

(AKA Walker / Visit my Facebook page: at http://www.facebook.com/pages/SiegeMasters/168138883205859 )
IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Jun 2nd, 2013 at 11:04pm

What ChuckRocks said.  Also, the insurance companies get to jack you up because the NOAA said it would be bad.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Jun 3rd, 2013 at 9:15am

ChuckRocks wrote on Jun 2nd, 2013 at 8:37pm:
NOAA make the same prediction every year: "More and worse".
Living in Florida, we are very aware of hurricanes. Hurricane Barbara not withstanding.
(We received no advisory warnings about Barbara, just a lot of rain lately.)

I believe that NOAA has adopted the policy which allows them to sound dire warnings and if they are wrong, no one will care but if they're right then the get to harvest all the credit and a bigger budget for next year.

My prediction:
It's the season for Hurricanes, buy a licence and get your bag limit.

Ha ha.  Well put, chuckrocks. 
    My little sister has lived in Florida for the past 25 years.  She lived in the Keys for a lot of that time until around 2005 when all of those hurricanes, including Katrina,  drove her to the Panhandle.  They also get their share of hurricanes around Pensacola  but at least there's more than one escape route.  Because of her my family pays a lot of attention to Florida hurricanes also. 
    Anyway, my prediction is that we're due for a busy year.  I think there will be lots of hurricanes and the Northeast won't be immune.  Sandy wasn't the big show; she was a warning. In New Jersey we've built up around our shoreline as if big storms never occur.  We're ripe for a real tragedy.  We're not "Stronger than the storm."  We are at God's or Mother Nature's mercy.

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #5 - Jun 3rd, 2013 at 10:21am

The Spring tornado season has certainly been busy... We've been hit twice so far, both in the same area, and points South have been pretty busted up as well.
Late-Spring flooding as well....

One can't extrapolate immediate effects from such widespread and gradual things as global warming, but one can predict trends, and most all climate scientists say that the trend will be to more extremes of weather generally.
As Rat Man said, warmer oceans mean more energy to fuel hurricanes...That's not speculation, that's fact.

These systems have far-reaching effects.  Warmer, moister air from those same oceans move north into the Midwest when conditions are right, and bump up agains colder, drier air coming across the mountainous states.... And boom.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #6 - Jun 3rd, 2013 at 10:31pm

I would venture to say that we are in for it again this year up in the Northeast. Shocked

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Jun 9th, 2013 at 9:49am

I don't know. I tend to agree with ChuckRocks, our predictions seems to default to "ARMAGEDDON IS COMING" it's always going to be dire. On the other hand Sandy should have taught us something about the inherent risks about living next to the ocean.

To that end I'm grateful to be moving to Wisconsin in the next couple of weeks. Hurricanes will matter less, fewer humans to panic when they do, and hopefully more opportunities to sling  Cool Works for me.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: NOAA predicts active 2013 Atlantic hurricane seaso
Reply #8 - Jun 23rd, 2013 at 12:04pm

I've never lived in Wisconsin but I've driven through it a few times.  I found it to be very beautiful, though they get their share of very crazy weather there also.  I wouldn't mind living in Wisconsin.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man)