Remembering Aussie (Read 55719 times)
David the Shepherd
Descens

www.DavidTheShepherd
.com

Eureka Springs, Arkansas
Re: Remembering Aussie
Reply #60 - Oct 22nd, 2013 at 2:10am

This is the saddest news that I have heard in a long time.  He really did a lot for slinging.  Not even two weeks ago I taught kids how to throw tennis balls with the sling he sent me when I started throwing.  Sad day.

So David overcame Goliath with A Sling & A Stone, and struck him and killed him.  But David had no sword in his hand.&&1 Samuel 17:50
IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #61 - Feb 10th, 2014 at 7:40pm

In the "Hi from the UK" thread, I mentioned how to make a quick Aussie-style seat-belt sling.

IP Logged

Carbon
Ex Member

Reply #62 - Apr 4th, 2014 at 11:53pm

This is so strange.
This morning I woke up and, being the last day of my spring break, I sat there thinking about what to do. I noticed on my shelf my old sling, the golf ball sling I made almost 2 years ago. I went out back and tried slinging again, and frankly I was terrible. At least the rocks went forward!
Anyway, over the last two years I've forgotten about slinging. But I didn't forget how kind the people of slinging.org were for me though. We all have rough times but I was on the verge of killing myself and the kindness from this little forum got me through it. A few slings sent from a few members, including Aussie, and the rocks in my backyard gave me something to take my mind off my problems, and I'll never forget that.
I wish Aussie could know how he saved my life, because in a way he did. And after seeing this post for the first time today I strung up one of the pouches he sent me and tomorrow I'm going to go to an open field and let 'er rip!
If anyone knows of a source for the belt that he used to make his slings, even if I have to order if from Australia, I'd like to know. I'd like to make a few of his pouches, and if I can afford it, send a few out to members here.
RIP Aussie, you were a great guy I never met. Stardust to stardust, and the world keeps turning.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #63 - Apr 5th, 2014 at 1:21pm

Aussie was such a great man.
Leather can be used instead of the belting.
Also, duct tape laminated over Tyvek can also be used.
It is easy to assemble too!

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #64 - Apr 18th, 2014 at 7:16am

Aussies slings were made from used Australian post office conveyor belt.
You should find used conveyor belt material in  the skip at any modern factory Smiley

And yeah, he was a supremely generous man.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #65 - Apr 18th, 2014 at 11:21am

Did Aussie ever publish the template somewhere ? I remember seeing something on inch-ruled paper. In fact, the instructions for the Aussie sling deserve to be on a stickie.

RIP our Ludek !

IP Logged

Timothy Potter

Idaho
Reply #66 - Apr 18th, 2014 at 2:04pm

Thearos wrote on Apr 18th, 2014 at 11:21am:
Did Aussie ever publish the template somewhere ? I remember seeing something on inch-ruled paper. In fact, the instructions for the Aussie sling deserve to be on a stickie.

RIP our Ludek !

Aussie posted a pattern with some instructions on this thread: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1332178857/22#22

-Timothy Potter

"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17
IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #67 - Apr 18th, 2014 at 4:47pm

Thanks, Timothy. Means a lot coming from you !

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #68 - Aug 7th, 2014 at 6:20am

IP Logged

mymothersmeatloaf

saint louis missouri
Reply #69 - Aug 15th, 2014 at 10:58am

Oh my...I was gone for this long? That's so sad..

mymothersmeatloaf  
IP Logged

Blowgunman123

Slinging Tennis Balls

Northern Illinois
Reply #70 - Apr 21st, 2015 at 1:17am

i wasn't able to interact with Aussie on here sadly, but from what I've seen he is an amazing guy and was a major role model for many slingers. i only wish i would have been able to talk to him here....  Cry

"You are more loved than you will ever know, by someone who died to know you." Romans 5:8

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCckkJFheMGBNtMPX8I-Wm9g

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #71 - Apr 30th, 2015 at 7:51am

I was just reading some of this thread.... I wonder if his surviving family knows how much he impacted our community.
Im sure they would be proud to read this thread.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #72 - Jul 1st, 2015 at 4:45am

Aussie pouch-- found the sling yesterday, the letter that accompanied Ludek's gift a few days before that.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #73 - Jul 7th, 2015 at 3:37pm

And we impacted on his life too.

His brother found ludek through the forum and they were reunited after a lot of years. Think they lost touch when ludek moved to australia.

I'm not sure if he ever posted that in the open forum or just in the moderator section.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #74 - Jul 7th, 2015 at 9:52pm

Wow-- he never mentioned that to (or if he did, it slipped my mind). He did mention his daugther, who visited the UK just at a time when for family reasons I was abroad.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: Curious Aardvark)