Remembering Aussie (Read 55713 times)
Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
Re: Remembering Aussie
Reply #15 - May 26th, 2013 at 10:04am

Liberty dog wrote on May 26th, 2013 at 8:41am:
Is there anything we can do to let his family know that we feel for their loss, and to let them know what he did for this little community of ours?

I have sent a message on behalf of us all to Aussie's mobile phone - perhaps his family will receive this message. I believe his family knows exactly how much of an impact he had on our community as his daughter and friends were all taught how to sling and judging by the amount of time he must have spent making and posting out the slings.

IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Reply #16 - May 26th, 2013 at 10:27am

That's terrible news to hear about Aussie passing. He was one of the most generous members of our little community and a great influence to new and experienced slingers a like.

His Aussie Pouches were one of the perfect tools in allowing a relatively new member to have some proper equipment in learning our art. His Seatbelt Sling design changed the whole way I looked at slinging and has allowed me to give away countless slings and to teach many folks the joy of a far flung stone.

I remember when he introduced the Seatbelt Sling and how much trouble I was having learning how to make them. Over the course of dozens of PMs and an picture tutorial, with more patience then I deserved, he finally explained it in a way that clicked with me.

He was an asset to our community and will be sorely missed.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Am I the only one who finds it slightly amusing that people are debating the merits of riot shields against zombies in a totally normal manner?     I do love this forum. -Morphy

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #17 - May 26th, 2013 at 10:45am

RIP Ludek.

I had really nice, heart-warming correspondence with him, a real gentleman. He was very kind to me, in letters, when my father died. Also clearly a good family man, selfless and thoughtful.

As for his posts, their careful attention to physics, their lack of boastfulness and their solidity made them great.

We all knew he had heart problems (recent bypass), but this is very sad to hear. From the forum, you can see that he promised someone a pouch on the day he died.

I always have an aussiesling in my pocket; the other one I gave away to a boy.

Well remembered-- our Ludek.

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #18 - May 26th, 2013 at 2:35pm

Aussie and I joined within a month or so of each other in what seems like the prehistory of the forum.

Amongst his other interests, he shared with me a fascination in the physics of the sling. One of those things that seems so easy until you actually try to explain it, and find it to be more subtle than one would imagine. We talked about it over PM, and I suspect if we had met in person the talk would have been long. I was pleased to read that he had finished his chapter in the Slinger's Guide, When I read it I will be reminded of him again.

In all my interactions with him I found him quiet and thoughtful. His evident respect for others came across so plainly both in his public and private messages. I found him truly a man to be admired.

It seems quite a number got to know him through his personal messages. It's apparent that he enjoyed such interactions greatly, and he enriched our lives with them.

His Aussie pouch and seatbelt sling are both the stuff of legend on this site. Those of us with one of his repurposed pieces of Australian Post Office equipment have a tangible memento to the man, and I regret I never asked him for one!

For those of us past a certain age, to be connected through such a great physical distance is somewhat miraculous. I think we both expected, rather than just hoped, to meet. Sadly that will not be the case, at least in this life.

One of the imperfections of the internet is that we can forget how tenuous the connection actually is. People easily can vanish without leaving any trace.

By a fluke of circumstances Aussie had my e-mail address, and his daughter was kind enough to let me know of his passing in an e-mail last week.

She asked that those who would wish to send a message to the family send it through PM  to me. Naturally I will respect the contents of any such messages absolutely, and will pass them on as received.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #19 - May 26th, 2013 at 4:48pm

Very good tribute. Ludwik had great respect for you.

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #20 - May 27th, 2013 at 8:49am

It is a great shame that Aussie has gone ahead of us. His generosity has had a huge impact on our sport. I had two pouches from him and they were my first decent slings. He also put in a lot of time as a moderator here during the spam wars. My condolences to his family, I know they have lost a great man.

IP Logged

scoteeball

Slinging Rocks!

G'Day Mate RIP
Reply #21 - May 27th, 2013 at 11:52pm

I am sad to see the  announcement of the passing of Aussie. He first introduced me to slinging.org and it became apparent that he was a large part of the site.  I have no idea how many “Aussie pouches” he sent all over the world including two to me. Though I never met him I felt the connection of our age, lovely daughters that sling, and his enthusiasm for slinging.  Slinging.org will miss him!  Somehow the simple announcement of his death seems inadequate. I think a thread of tribute would be appropriate where members could voice their thoughts.

Condolences to his family if they visit this site.

G’Day mate  RIP

"Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #22 - May 28th, 2013 at 3:39am

Yeah, that's a great example-- when scoteeball posted that vid of him slinging fig-8 over the river, it was aussie who went out to find and invite him here. Also a sign of Ludwik's interest in fig-8, which he liked and practised.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #23 - May 28th, 2013 at 6:14am

Quote:
Somehow the simple announcement of his death seems inadequate. I think a thread of tribute would be appropriate where members could voice their thoughts.

You're posting in it noidea

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #24 - May 28th, 2013 at 8:27am

Aussie was a kind, generous, caring person.  He greatly influenced this site and the sport of slinging.  Countless kids in my neighborhood have Aussie pouches.  He was a friend, mentor, and a good example of what we should all aspire to be more like.  We were privileged to have him as a moderator and member.  RIP, Aussie.  Condolences and sympathies to your loved ones.  Thanks for everything, Aussie.  We'll always remember and miss you.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #25 - May 28th, 2013 at 9:02am

Curious Aardvark wrote on May 28th, 2013 at 6:14am:
Quote:
Somehow the simple announcement of his death seems inadequate. I think a thread of tribute would be appropriate where members could voice their thoughts.

Um, I think Scoteeball posted separately, and Masi moved his post here, to join other posts.

IP Logged

scoteeball

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #26 - May 28th, 2013 at 12:22pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on May 28th, 2013 at 6:14am:
Quote:

Yes I failed to find this thread and posted another. Thanks Masia for steering me here. You mods do a great job! CA was another to welcome me early on. I will say thanks while you are all still around Embarrassed I just knew there would be more response than I was seeing and this thread is a nice tribute to a good man.

"Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #27 - May 28th, 2013 at 2:12pm

Does anyone know what Aussie's first post ever was ?

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #28 - May 28th, 2013 at 2:13pm

you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you. For you will be repaid at the resurrection of the just

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #29 - May 28th, 2013 at 3:24pm

Thearos wrote on May 28th, 2013 at 2:12pm:
Does anyone know what Aussie's first post ever was ?

You'd think it would be easy to find - you'd be wrong. I do know that 2 months after joining he was sending out aussie pouches.

He joined 6 november 2006 - no posts in any of the then existing forums around that date that I can find. which is pretty weird.
I'll keep looking

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: Curious Aardvark)