Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Slinging mentioned in Ancient Warfare magazine (Read 5077 times)
slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Slinging mentioned in Ancient Warfare magazine
Apr 16th, 2013 at 3:49pm

This issue of Ancient Warfare magazine has a Celtic theme.
There's an article by Lindsay Powell on the Siege of Maiden Castle in 44 AD by the Romans.
  A section of the article mentions the defenders using slings in defense against the Romans.
  " Grabbing pebbles from their caches, stone throwers urgently scrambled onto the ramparts ready for action. Equipped with slings of  braided flax, hemp, or wool, each about 61-100 cm (2-3.3ft.) in length, a practiced warrior could throw a stone over a distance of 400m (1,312 ft.). A flying stone striking the head could kill a man."
  I would like to know where he got the figures and distances.
   " The Roman legate critically assessed the situation. Faced with a potential rainstorm of deadly slingshot, he decided to keep his distance and deploy his artillery pieces and units of archers with their compound bows. Roman tension and torsion weapons could shoot sharps and arrows over hundreds of metres, depending on the size. A small catapult launching a 91.5 cm (36in.) bolt  could even hit a target  some 370m (1213ft.) away."
  There is a nice picture of the Celtic slingers in action.
  Any opinions on the info?   

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Re: Slinging mentioned in Ancient Warfare magazine
Reply #1 - Apr 16th, 2013 at 5:20pm

He would have to be exceptional to get a stone over 400 metres. Only Larry Bray has done that, and he flung himself to the ground to do it. If they said 300 metres that would extremely good, but with the advantage of height it is believable.  Any chance you could reproduce the picture here?

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #2 - Apr 16th, 2013 at 6:24pm

I agree with Bill, although height advantages are rather signifigant. I can sling around 25% farther with a 30 foot height advantage.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Lugh-Lamhfada

A slinger is only as good
as his last stone

An Mhi, Ireland
Reply #3 - Apr 16th, 2013 at 7:18pm

Slightly off topic,

Badger I assume you subscribe to the magazine and therefore most likely read the previous edition concerning the battle of Telamon? If so does it mention slingers? Any chance of posting the pics from that article tool?

"Andraste Basbochorbhan"- Andraste brings death to the wicked

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Funditor
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #4 - Apr 17th, 2013 at 1:23am

Compound bows?  I had the impression that around this time the best a long bow could manage was about 200-250 meters..  I know there must have been crossbows around that time, but you didn't generally deploy those things in mass formations..

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

Mick
Descens

May your stone always
be well buried.

Brisbane/Redcliffe
Reply #5 - Apr 17th, 2013 at 2:17am

They had an early form of compound bow that didn't use cams and pulley's, but an extra upright short stave at the front of the bow, attached only at the handgrip. Cordage ran from the top and bottom of this short stave up and down (as applicable) to the notching points. This stave created extra power on release. Of course, also unlike a modern compound, it didn't have a letoff point. It only got harder the more you drew back.

Mick

IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Reply #6 - Apr 17th, 2013 at 2:54am

I don't have any way to prove it, but I've read that the Penobscot (that is the name of the bow you describe) may have been a quite "recent" scam (early 20th cent)

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #7 - Apr 17th, 2013 at 5:21am

When they say 'compound' they are using the word in an older, academic sense. Before cams and pulleys, the name 'compound' was given to horn/sinew recurved bows from the east.

Now that the cammed monstrosities exist, horn/sinew bows are called 'composite' in everyday use, but the academic use of 'compound' remains.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Apr 17th, 2013 at 7:13am

3 foot sling and a stone - 300m metres would be around the sensible maximum.

But then feet inches and metres didn't exist in 44ad so who knows what distances were actually claimed.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Apr 17th, 2013 at 8:53am

I think the Romans had a uniform measurement but I forget what it was called.  I'm pretty sure the Celts did also, it's what the inch, foot and yard came from.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Apr 17th, 2013 at 1:08pm

As David said, Compound = Composite = Horn and sinew bows.

Those are the Pensbocot bows and there are many theories that it was a scam. Plus, that was really the only area (If it is true) to utilze that style of 'backing', so its really safe to say that's not the kind of bow refered to here. The design does work, but it wasn't really prevelent historically.

I'm skeptical about the distance but I don't doubt that slinger's might have been utilized in that battle, just not at that distance.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Dilyan Ganev

Hard rocks...

Balkans, Bulgaria, Burgas
Reply #11 - Apr 19th, 2013 at 10:42am

Aside from he composite bow of the romans(they might got the idea of scythian/sauramatian tribes from the east or thracians) a sling stone hurled meters is really great...But as far as i know this is the maximum so far(as far as world record goes). I thinks that CA is the closest to reality 1 meter long sling to  300 meters distance with about 100-200 gram stone...Everything outside this range is a work of a giant

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #12 - Apr 20th, 2013 at 8:39pm

Compound / composite bows were used by the Syrian archers employed in auxiliary units by the Romans. Source: Trajan's column, and I think various gravestones of auxiliaries.

IP Logged

Lugh-Lamhfada

A slinger is only as good
as his last stone

An Mhi, Ireland
Reply #13 - Apr 20th, 2013 at 9:30pm

I always thought composite bows do not suit the climate of europe as the damp and wet dissolves the fish glue used to hold the component parts together? Although in the late Roman empire the battle of Chalons in France featured Hunnic horse archers, so they must have been able to use their bows?

"Andraste Basbochorbhan"- Andraste brings death to the wicked

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #14 - Apr 21st, 2013 at 3:38am

Lugh-Lamhfada wrote on Apr 20th, 2013 at 9:30pm:
I always thought composite bows do not suit the climate of europe as the damp and wet dissolves the fish glue used to hold the component parts together? Although in the late Roman empire the battle of Chalons in France featured Hunnic horse archers, so they must have been able to use their bows?

Hungary was home to very active composite bow horse archers for centuries. The weather there is absolutely typical of Europe generally. The water sensitive parts of a bow were covered with paper-thin birchbark. 

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Morphy, Rat Man)