Funda Ball Ammo (Read 42589 times)
Mick
Descens

May your stone always
be well buried.

Brisbane/Redcliffe
Re: Funda Ball Ammo
Reply #45 - May 9th, 2013 at 5:32am

I don't think bruises count as injury, so, so long as they don't draw blood or break any of the larger bones, it meets with my approval Smiley...Not that hat's needed of course. Just sayin'.

Mick

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #46 - May 9th, 2013 at 8:22am

bruises are not good.

Caused by subcutaneous bleeding. ie: you're damaging the blood supply below the skin. Which can lead to more serious conditions.
Ideally you want ammo that won't cause bruising.
But still flies well.

A dense soft foam - like memory foam would be ideal. those soft foam dog balls are actually pretty good.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Mick
Descens

May your stone always
be well buried.

Brisbane/Redcliffe
Reply #47 - May 9th, 2013 at 5:29pm

You just let me know where to send you that large order of cotton wool then won't you... Tongue I know bruises aren't 'good', but I figured you would realise that bruising does happen in sport  Smiley. I also figure you may be saying that just to cover your backside  Wink.

Mick

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #48 - May 9th, 2013 at 6:16pm

Think of it this way, hit someone with a pillow, the large surface spreads the force, so no bruise, even if you get knocked off your feet.  Concentrate that same force into a smaller pillow and it hurts, even if there still isn't a bruise.  Concentrae it smaller, it really smarts but still doesn't bruise, think dodge ball smacking you in the head.  Concentrate it smaller and it will definately hurt but still won't leave a bruise.  That is probably the area we are looking for, otherwise the teams will just have somebody stand in front of the target and block shots with their body, which they won't do if it hurts.  But they will still be able to catch the ball, think softball with those soft balls that grammer school kids used to play with.  You didn't need a glove but you didn't want to get hit by a line drive, either.

IP Logged

prd000
Tiro

slinging for life

Stuart, FL
Reply #49 - May 9th, 2013 at 9:18pm

Bill Skinner wrote on May 9th, 2013 at 6:16pm:
Think of it this way, hit someone with a pillow, the large surface spreads the force, so no bruise, even if you get knocked off your feet.  Concentrate that same force into a smaller pillow and it hurts, even if there still isn't a bruise.  Concentrae it smaller, it really smarts but still doesn't bruise, think dodge ball smacking you in the head.  Concentrate it smaller and it will definately hurt but still won't leave a bruise.  That is probably the area we are looking for, otherwise the teams will just have somebody stand in front of the target and block shots with their body, which they won't do if it hurts.  But they will still be able to catch the ball, think softball with those soft balls that grammer school kids used to play with.  You didn't need a glove but you didn't want to get hit by a line drive, either.

I wouldn't suggest anything like memory foam because it will deform upon release which would probably cause horrible accuracy

I've got my sling&&I am now eagerly awaiting the zombie apocalypse

IP Logged

Arcane Tinker
Funditor

Slinging everything 'cept
b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Reply #50 - May 10th, 2013 at 6:57am

Some deformation under an excessive amount of force would be beneficial in a setting such as this.  It would keep a player from cranking out injurious kill shots... or at least strongly affect the accuracy of said kill shots.  Think of calibrated deformity like something akin to a restrictor plate in a nascar race, or a whiffle ball in tee-ball.  Every sport has safety elements in place to keep participation up.

Safety officers and lawyers, two paying professions until the internet came along...
Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #51 - May 10th, 2013 at 7:12am

well I was mainly thinking of the memory foam as a final layer over a more stable centre.

Say wrapped round the foam dog balls. It would give a bit of extra weight and hopefully spread the impact a bit more.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #52 - May 10th, 2013 at 8:26am

The idea I'm most interested in trying out would be he following:

One of those football shaped stress balls with a bit of the center cored out and filled with caulking silicone.  The silicone is soft and pliable even when dry, but pretty dense and heavy.  We use it to make "Sili-balls" when we play sling golf at the parks ("sili-ball" = tennis ball filled with silicone) It turns a tennis ball into something that you can really launch downrange.  (Who says you can't throw a tennis ball further than 70 meters?!  Ha!  Take THAT physics!)

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

Mick
Descens

May your stone always
be well buried.

Brisbane/Redcliffe
Reply #53 - May 10th, 2013 at 8:52am

Damn it, now I'll be spending tomorrow implanting my balls with silicone just to make them more interesting to play with!  Grin

Mick

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #54 - May 10th, 2013 at 9:56am

It is going to take a long time to dry, the rubber walls wil keep whatever keeps the putty soft in the putty.  You may want to punch a few holes in the tennis balls to let it evaporate.  Or put it in a car parked in the hot sun.  Put them on a sheet of news paper in case the putty starts dribbling out from the heat.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #55 - May 10th, 2013 at 10:05am

Something slightly larger than a baseball would probably be good, it would have a larger surface area to spread the force of the impact out.  And you can make a split pouch of your favorite design to handle it.  Plus, it should help cut down on the range so you won't spend so much time chasing balls that go off the field.  It also will help stop someone from hoarding ammo, you won't be able to carry but two or three.  It also means that the guys in the back have to be pretty good slingers, instead bench warmers that you let play.  So, two guys in back with fairly long slings, the two guys up front with shorter slings.  And the general with whatever length he wants.

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #56 - May 31st, 2013 at 3:53am

Bill Skinner wrote on May 10th, 2013 at 9:56am:
It is going to take a long time to dry, the rubber walls wil keep whatever keeps the putty soft in the putty.  You may want to punch a few holes in the tennis balls to let it evaporate.  Or put it in a car parked in the hot sun.  Put them on a sheet of news paper in case the putty starts dribbling out from the heat.

Actually, we thought this might be a problem too, but it doesn't seem to be.  We fill a tennis ball with the Silicone and let it set overnight.  By the next morning, the silicone at the hole has completely dried and sealed the hole up.  We haven't run into any balls leaking un-dried stuff out yet, but who knows?  And, I'm not kidding..  Those balls are super easy to throw and go pretty far.  We actually had to stop putting so much in them because if they were too full (and therefore too heavy) we found ourselves overshooting the targets pretty regularly, and with little effort.  It was TOO easy, LOL.

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Reply #57 - May 31st, 2013 at 5:41am

Did you crash-tested them against some wall to see the shock resistance ?

And how does it feel when you're hit by one of those in comparaison with normal TB ?

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #58 - May 31st, 2013 at 5:52am

Caldou wrote on May 31st, 2013 at 5:41am:
Did you crash-tested them against some wall to see the shock resistance ?

And how does it feel when you're hit by one of those in comparaison with normal TB ?

Well, I've never been unfortunate enough to have been hit with one.  I imagine it would probably cause some grevious injuries.  They are pretty heavy and don't feel like they would be very forgiving..

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space

IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Reply #59 - May 31st, 2013 at 5:53am

So they are bad choice for Funda Ball... Back to the lab !

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, LightSlinger, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)