Funda Ball Ammo (Read 42597 times)
slingmoore
Tiro

sling: simple, ancient,
powerful

West Bengal, India
Re: Funda Ball Ammo
Reply #30 - Apr 22nd, 2013 at 10:09pm

Now the T-shirt wrapped golf ball idea has some merit... has anybody tried that?

Glen&&slingmoore.com, dedicated to the most simple ancient and powerful throwing tool in the world under two ounces.
IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #31 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 5:56am

slingmoore wrote on Apr 22nd, 2013 at 10:09pm:
Now the T-shirt wrapped golf ball idea has some merit... has anybody tried that?

Not yet, but I'm not adverse to giving it a go.  However, like I mentioned earlier, I did wrap up a Rusty Sling ball, which is softer than a golf ball, and with a core that heavy and compact, it was just too hard.

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

slingmoore
Tiro

sling: simple, ancient,
powerful

West Bengal, India
Reply #32 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 6:05am

i thought rusty sling ball was a joke earlier... what is it?  i am now guessing that rusty is someones name and not a reference to a level of oxidation

Glen&&slingmoore.com, dedicated to the most simple ancient and powerful throwing tool in the world under two ounces.
IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Reply #33 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 6:11am

I will also be lazy : http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?action=search

You may want to set the "This post was made in the last..." case at "(all time)" and check the "Display only one result per thread?" box.

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

Mick
Descens

May your stone always
be well buried.

Brisbane/Redcliffe
Reply #34 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 6:36am

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #35 - Apr 24th, 2013 at 7:12am

slingmoore wrote on Apr 23rd, 2013 at 6:05am:
i thought rusty sling ball was a joke earlier... what is it?  i am now guessing that rusty is someones name and not a reference to a level of oxidation

you partially fill a balloon with wet sand, then add several more balloons until you have a rusty ball.

I suspect it loses something in translation as it's one of jaegoors inventions Smiley

there are various variations. I found that while they make good ammo. They have a tendency to deform on release if you sling them hard.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

prd000
Tiro

slinging for life

Stuart, FL
Reply #36 - Apr 27th, 2013 at 2:02pm

how about wrapping a (very) small rock with tape or something? that couldn't hurt TOO much, and the small rock would provide with the weight Cheesy

I've got my sling&&I am now eagerly awaiting the zombie apocalypse

IP Logged

Intifada
Descens

Raining Stones

Bucks, UK
Reply #37 - Apr 27th, 2013 at 3:50pm

I would've thought that looking at dogs' balls (no, not those ones) would be a start. I sling foam rubber ones that are the same size as a tennis balls but heavier, softer and go further.

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." -  Denis Diderot

IP Logged

Mick
Descens

May your stone always
be well buried.

Brisbane/Redcliffe
Reply #38 - Apr 27th, 2013 at 7:09pm

Can't say I've seen those kind of dogs balls before, but I have got a few of the heavier tennis balls designed for dogs. They have a tendency to split after a while. They don't last as long as a regular tennis ball, and the difference in weight is negligable. The only other dog's balls I've come across are the solid rubber ones. They would just about lay you out cold if you got hit with one of those though!  Smiley

<----He has big balls...Of the tennis kind. He lost his own a long time ago! Shocked

Mick

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #39 - Apr 27th, 2013 at 10:13pm

Cute dog.
I will be uploading pics of my sand-fabric things.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Mick
Descens

May your stone always
be well buried.

Brisbane/Redcliffe
Reply #40 - Apr 27th, 2013 at 11:26pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Apr 24th, 2013 at 7:12am:
slingmoore wrote on Apr 23rd, 2013 at 6:05am:
i thought rusty sling ball was a joke earlier... what is it?  i am now guessing that rusty is someones name and not a reference to a level of oxidation

you partially fill a balloon with wet sand, then add several more balloons until you have a rusty ball.

I suspect it loses something in translation as it's one of jaegoors inventions Smiley

there are various variations. I found that while they make good ammo. They have a tendency to deform on release if you sling them hard.

I just made and tried a Rusty today. These things are downright lethal. I would not want to be on the receiving end of one! I suspect they would easily cause a concussion or break smaller bones. Good for target practice, and the one I made comes in at 110gms, and feels much nicer to sling than a tennis ball. It reads better for release timing, sits better in the sling and hits better on the target.

Mick

IP Logged

Intifada
Descens

Raining Stones

Bucks, UK
Reply #41 - Apr 28th, 2013 at 6:57am

Mick wrote on Apr 27th, 2013 at 7:09pm:
Can't say I've seen those kind of dogs balls before, but I have got a few of the heavier tennis balls designed for dogs.

These are what I sling for the hound. Can't say if they'd be what you're after but I don't see why they wouldn't be suitable. They're heavy duty sponge and are less than a pound a ball when purchased in multiples.

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." -  Denis Diderot

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #42 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 7:32pm

Can you test them on someone?(e.g someone with high pain tolerance and not-so-bright)
I could be the test subject... but I only meet one of the criteria....

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Intifada
Descens

Raining Stones

Bucks, UK
Reply #43 - May 4th, 2013 at 1:00pm

squirrelslinger wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 7:32pm:
Can you test them on someone?(e.g someone with high pain tolerance and not-so-bright)
I could be the test subject... but I only meet one of the criteria....

I already do. I wouldn't suggest for a moment that my ever-loving girlfriend fits the criteria but that's irrelevant as I always miss.

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #44 - May 9th, 2013 at 2:23am

well, shoot.. If you always miss, how do we know if they hurt too bad?  LOL.

I've been noodling this one for quite some time now and I think it's important that they be slightly painful to be hit with, but not be able to cause any actual injuries.  It's a tall order I know.

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, LightSlinger)