LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Funda Ball Ammo
Apr 11th, 2013 at 7:14am

Since I've been working on Funda Ball I've written up some rules and measurements and such.  At the moment, a game of Funda Ball calls for the use of tennis balls as the ammo. 

I'm not super fond of this idea because Tennis balls are for, well.. Tennis.  I've been noodling an idea that I would like to use ammo actually a bit smaller than a tennis ball, biconical (or at least egg shaped), that is about as heavy as a tennis ball (if not a little heavier) and is softer and easier on fleshy tissues.

I could use some input on this one and I know that there are many devious and clever minds out there. 

I'll start the festivities...

When I was messing around tonight I hit upon the idea for a slightly modified Rusty ball.  Normal Rustys are NOT a good choice for this game because they can probably still kill you.  MadSlinger once offered to stand downrange and catch one of them for me to which I stupidly agreed.  To his credit he almost caught the darn thing.  Downside:  It hit one of the fingers he was trying to catch it with as it went by.  By the way it swelled up, we both thought it was broken...  And it's not like I was throwing that thing very hard.  If it would have hit him in the head he might still be in a coma...  Rustys are great when you are throwing them at hard targets.  Even windows stop them with no damage.  But they sure do transfer a lot of their energy to fleshy targets...

So, my modification was this.  I got a 12’ balloon and filled it up about a little over a quarter of the way full with Silicone.  I tied that balloon off, cut off the tail and started wrapping that up much like a normal rusty.  After I got to the last one, I used some clear scotch tape to secure the last balloon.  Then I got the bright idea to wrap some tape snugly around the middle of the balloon.  This caused the balloon to take on a (roughly) biconical shape..  I would show you a pic but alas, I lost the ugly thing on the roof of my building during testing.

Test Results:  Out of the few times I got to throw this Prototype Funda Ball, I was amazed at how heavy it felt.  I’m sure that it was lighter than a tennis ball, but the weight seemed much Denser (which it is I’m sure).  There were absolutely none of the release issues I imagined there would be and in fact I managed to hit my targets about 8 out of ten times from 10 meters.  That’s a huge jump in accuracy for me.  The only main problem I noticed was that when I threw it with a lot of power, it did curve easily.  I assume this is because since the projectile is kinda squishy, it is deformed a bit as it travels and therefore ends up with terrible flight characteristics.  I hadn’t had the opportunity for human testing yet, but we’ll get to that (Yikes!).  After all, the point of these is to hurt a bit less than tennis balls might…

So anyway, let me know what ya’ll come up with!

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Funda Ball Ammo
Reply #1 - Apr 11th, 2013 at 12:50pm

I think you are going to have the same problem as the origional, the liquid is non compressable and it will still whap you pretty good, I think you will need something hollow.

IP Logged

Arcane Tinker
Funditor

Slinging everything 'cept
b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Reply #2 - Apr 11th, 2013 at 2:20pm

how about something more akin to mini nerf footballs.  Something like this may or may not need weight added to the center and may or may not need the pointy ends ground down a little.

You can find places like this ( http://www.minithrowballs.com/foam-footballs-c-83.html?osCsid=992300977dacef7164... ) that sell them in bulk.  Heck it even looks like you could get slinging.org and a fundaball logo printed on them.

This on looks like it was born for fundaball: http://www.minithrowballs.com/stress-football-p-179.html

Safety officers and lawyers, two paying professions until the internet came along...
Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #3 - Apr 11th, 2013 at 5:05pm

Yeah they do!  That's exactly the thing I was thinking of.  I was thinking that we could inject a small amount of silicone along the centerline to add some weight.

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

Mick
Descens

May your stone always
be well buried.

Brisbane/Redcliffe
Reply #4 - Apr 11th, 2013 at 6:52pm

And being belted with a stress ball is going to relieve your tension for sure!  Grin

Mick

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Apr 11th, 2013 at 6:59pm

Somebody has to sacrifice their body to prevent the other team from scoring, those are one of the reasons I picked Dan and Squirrel, they're young, they ought to heal up pretty quick...

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #6 - Apr 11th, 2013 at 11:04pm

Bill Skinner wrote on Apr 11th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Somebody has to sacrifice their body to prevent the other team from scoring, those are one of the reasons I picked Dan and Squirrel, they're young, they ought to heal up pretty quick...

LOL.....
I have been nailed by stones before, but never at full power.

Squirrel will probably heal faster than anyone else.
Can I add Jabames and Sasquatch to our team somehow?
LS, for a better version of funda-ball, have more than 2 people up front.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

prd000
Tiro

slinging for life

Stuart, FL
Reply #7 - Apr 18th, 2013 at 9:12pm

I definetly like filling up a water ballon with something because they are small and can probably travel really fast too, but what would you fill them with? jello? water? saturated cloth? Undecided

I've got my sling&&I am now eagerly awaiting the zombie apocalypse

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #8 - Apr 19th, 2013 at 5:38am

Well I wouldn't even try jello.  It contains gelatin which is animal tissue, which rots.  Might smell pretty bad if the projectile broke! 

I was shopping in big-5 the other day and saw something else that might work.  Medium compression tennis balls.  These are usually a different color than a standard tennis ball, and they are softer.  They are generally used on smaller than normal tennis courts.  They feel about the same as far as weight goes and should be a bit less painful to be hit by.  Still not biconical though..

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space

IP Logged

prd000
Tiro

slinging for life

Stuart, FL
Reply #9 - Apr 19th, 2013 at 8:28am

what about paintballs? there are readily available and pretty inexpensive, they are small, they are made to be projectiles for this kind of sport, and you can tell when a target or the general is hit Grin

I've got my sling&&I am now eagerly awaiting the zombie apocalypse

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Apr 19th, 2013 at 8:59am

How about a biconal shaped cloth bag filled with airsoft BB's and a few pieces of styrofoam for compression and shape?  The foam will keep the ends pointed and will compress when it hits something and the plastic BB's will give some weight and also compress when it hits.  The problem will be the manufactoring of enough to play a game with.  Sew and then glue, maybe?

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #11 - Apr 19th, 2013 at 2:53pm

prd000 wrote on Apr 19th, 2013 at 8:28am:
what about paintballs? there are readily available and pretty inexpensive, they are small, they are made to be projectiles for this kind of sport, and you can tell when a target or the general is hit Grin

Well a couple of reasons not to use paintballs:

#1.  They are really light little buggers and don't sling very easily.
#2.   they bust on contact, which makes them great for paintball, but not so much for the scoring methods used In Funda ball..

I have thought about playing sling-tag with these though!

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space

IP Logged

Arcane Tinker
Funditor

b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Reply #12 - Apr 19th, 2013 at 3:44pm

LightSlinger wrote on Apr 19th, 2013 at 2:53pm:

#1.  They are really light little buggers and don't sling very easily.
#2.   they bust on contact, which makes them great for paintball, but not so much for the scoring methods used In Funda ball..

Tennis balls seem like they would have the perfect fuzzy texture to hold a nice dose of marking chalk.  There are all sorts of colors available, although some are more indelible than others.  I imagine having a team color loaded into a rock climbers chalk pouch would be a great way to dope a tennis ball in a slingsport situation.

Safety officers and lawyers, two paying professions until the internet came along...
Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #13 - Apr 19th, 2013 at 3:51pm

Arcane Tinker wrote on Apr 19th, 2013 at 3:44pm:
LightSlinger wrote on Apr 19th, 2013 at 2:53pm:

#1.  They are really light little buggers and don't sling very easily.
#2.   they bust on contact, which makes them great for paintball, but not so much for the scoring methods used In Funda ball..

Tennis balls seem like they would have the perfect fuzzy texture to hold a nice dose of marking chalk.  There are all sorts of colors available, although some are more indelible than others.  I imagine having a team color loaded into a rock climbers chalk pouch would be a great way to dope a tennis ball in a slingsport situation.

I agree with tennis ball projectile. Wait, rock climbers chalk comes in different colors?
Airsoft bb's are quite expensive, BillSkinner.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Arcane Tinker
Funditor

b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Reply #14 - Apr 19th, 2013 at 4:07pm

marking chalk(the kind used by builders) comes in many different colors, rock climbing/gymnastic chalk is only white from what I've seen.

Commonly, in builders marking chalk, purple is mildest, followed by blue/orange and yellow, then light red, then black, then dark red is usually most indelible.

I imagine you could make custom colors by pulverizing sidewalk chalk.

Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, LightSlinger, Rat Man)