Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trebuchet development (Read 5288 times)
HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Trebuchet development
Apr 8th, 2013 at 12:12pm

For the 2013 hurling season I've got a new arm for Brutus under development. Similar to last year's model, but with some of the cobbier areas cleaned up, somewhat strengthened to withstand an increase in counterweight, and a more aggressive leverage ratio and "bent arm effect".

Need to get 4 pound pumpkins past 100 meters instead of 3 pounders out to 100 yards. It might have been possible with the old arm but I enjoy building stuff as much as using it. In fact I'm in the planning stages for 2014, if I keep competing. I might be getting a little old for that; I know I'm slowing down.

New_arm.JPG (69 KB | )
New_arm.JPG

When all is said and done more will have been said than done.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Trebuchet development
Reply #1 - Apr 8th, 2013 at 12:59pm

looking good Thumbs Up

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #2 - Apr 8th, 2013 at 9:11pm

Topic added to the PW's index.
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

HuntsmanSling
Funditor

Sling Maker

Vancouver, WA
Reply #3 - Apr 11th, 2013 at 3:53pm

How did you get into making siege weapons? Are all of your recreations on a semi-small scale? Thanks for sharing! Now I want to get into this!

"Discipline leads to self respect which leads to courage"

Huntsman Slings available on Etsy HERE
&
seen on Youtube HERE

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #4 - Apr 11th, 2013 at 10:53pm

HuntsmanSling wrote on Apr 11th, 2013 at 3:53pm:
How did you get into making siege weapons? Are all of your recreations on a semi-small scale? Thanks for sharing! Now I want to get into this!

http://dale.chatham.org/Interests/Catapult/RipcordTBT.pdf
I have actually built this thing... using poplar wood and nails to hold stuff together instead of listening to the directions. It blew up after 5 shots.

I did use oak for the throwing arm and axle pivots.

Its really fun, now I mostly just make stuff by lashing staves together.
Keep in mind that this is Squirrel, not Hurlinthom. I am betting his catapults are better made than mine.
Nice throwing arm, HT!
-Squirrel

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Reply #5 - Apr 12th, 2013 at 12:01pm

HuntsmanSling wrote on Apr 11th, 2013 at 3:53pm:
I just sort of fell into trebuchets (haven't built other types, but am considering an onager). I saw a TV show on "reconstructing" Edward 1's War Wolf, silly because nobody knows anything about its construction, just a contest between 2 full-sized trebs. Then, checking out sites on medieval re-enactors I found the Grey Company, some Aussies who have built a number of siege engines. They had a link to some other sites, notably RLT Enterprises and Ripcord's (former poster here). Those showed some small trebs, and I needed a hobby, so I started.

As to size, my two biggest had frames about 6 feet (1.8m) tall. Smallest was designed to fit into a cube 2 feet on a side, threw tennis balls over 70 feet. I mostly work solo and can't handle bigger items. You can read about my stuff on a constantly-under-construction web site Trebs on the Web. Or for current activity, Eastvale Trebuchet Works on Facebook.

My philosophy is that the frame doesn't directly affect performance; it's there to provide solid support for the moving pieces that do. So make a sturdy frame the right size and go ape with the arm, sling, counterweight, etc.

SquirrelSlinger, I've built a few trebs using Gorilla Glue instead of nails (hate those) or screws. Holds up under throwing but deteriorates from weathering. This one is glued construction: http://youtu.be/JLDS21YdEBc

IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Reply #6 - May 5th, 2013 at 5:36pm

Just an update. To go with the new arm there's a new counterweight holder with revised dimensions that let me load more weight while keeping things narrow for clearance. Here's a photo showing the treb with the new arm and CW assembly mounted.

setup_side.JPG (316 KB | )
setup_side.JPG

IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Reply #7 - May 10th, 2013 at 11:54am

Another photo, this one of the upper frame with the arm cocked, showing how the offset bracket works, and the angle that the counterweight is propped at. There are 20 10-pound barbell plates here, 4 rows of 5 for a total of 200 pounds (91 kilos).

Top_cocked.JPG (245 KB | )
Top_cocked.JPG

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - May 16th, 2013 at 10:30am

I've said this before... this is really cool stuff!!!

IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Reply #9 - May 16th, 2013 at 11:52am

Rat Man wrote on May 16th, 2013 at 10:30am:
I've said this before... this is really cool stuff!!!

Now if the weather had been cool I would have gotten some testing in. Everything's ready....except me. My little bout of heatstroke(?) last year has left me overcautious about exertion in warm circumstances.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Chris)