Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Accuracy sneaks up on you... (Read 13959 times)
Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Accuracy sneaks up on you...
Reply #30 - May 22nd, 2013 at 8:37am

Yep, you actually have less wasted motion and are more efficent in your throw. 

The "twirling", for me, is helpful when I throw rocks of different weights, it lets me get a feel for the rock in the pouch. 

Gotta watch speeding up the last rotation to get a little extra, it usually makes the projectile go left or right because I have screwed up the organic ballistic computers' calculations at the last moment.

IP Logged

celron
Tiro

The rock flies.

Apopka, Florida
Reply #31 - May 22nd, 2013 at 12:02pm

Bill Skinner wrote on May 22nd, 2013 at 8:37am:
Yep, you actually have less wasted motion and are more efficent in your throw.  

The "twirling", for me, is helpful when I throw rocks of different weights, it lets me get a feel for the rock in the pouch.  

Gotta watch speeding up the last rotation to get a little extra, it usually makes the projectile go left or right because I have screwed up the organic ballistic computers' calculations at the last moment.

Exactly.

I've been getting a lot of left throws lately and I think it's because I'm using different rocks. The twirling does help, but if it's a lighter rock it's still difficult to pin down the exact moment of release.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #32 - May 23rd, 2013 at 6:46pm

Dan wrote on May 17th, 2013 at 7:04pm:
squirrelslinger wrote on May 17th, 2013 at 3:54pm:
Bill Skinner wrote on May 16th, 2013 at 8:56pm:
If you can do it safely, move up to about 8-10 yards or meters.  Watch out for bounce back or shattering projectiles, though.

Or exploding projectiles. Hickory and Beech and Walnut nuts are horrid projectiles cause they go ka-boom.
This is caused by the amount of spin on the projectile.

Walnut nut nuts are just called 'walnuts'.  Wink

Also, that's ridiculous. Keep in mind there are actually people who come here to learn from expierienced slingers with real world perspicacity.

I've slung dozens of walnuts and they all flew like anything else except they made a little more splat on target due to the moisture within. Hickory nuts are decent slingshot ammo but are on the light side for slings. I assume beechnuts are probably quite similar.

Anytime something shatters on contact- which is completely different than exploding- its due to the force behind it, not the rifling.

In any case, whenever you are slinging, be sure to use proper discretion.  Smiley

Can't remember exactly what type of nut, but it had a 4- part shell and a little hard core. I slung it when I was playing frisbee golf and flew about 100 ft and then the shells exploded off of it, more like fell off, but the spin made it powerful. It was awesome, 4 little pieces with a big piece in da middle. The walnuts were a little rotten, thats probably why they did what they did. Next time I get my hands on some(probably late summer-fall) Ill take vids to prove it.
BTW with that particular sling it put a LOT of spin on the projectile. Ill have to dig that one up. it was a unique one, inspired by the Redwall series.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #33 - May 27th, 2013 at 11:08pm

You had me with redwall. Explain please

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, LightSlinger)