Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
A good thing tennis balls don't hurt...Much. (Read 6362 times)
Mick
Descens

May your stone always
be well buried.

Brisbane/Redcliffe
A good thing tennis balls don't hurt...Much.
Apr 2nd, 2013 at 6:45am

So I was out in my yard today, getting in some practice. My yard is really, despite what I may have said to the contrary in the past, a good place to sling. The side yard from front to back would be at least 30 metres, but the thing that makes it great is the variety. On no two days will I be faced with the same obstacles work around. I have set my target at relatively close range as I'm relatively new at this slinging stuff.
My target is fairly simple. I get a tea towel and wrap it around the apex of the kids swing frame and peg it at the back. This gives me a truncated triangular target about the size of a mans neck and top of shoulders, providing he's not too broad. At first I was going for the top 'hole' of the A. However I was finding it diffiult to tell weather I was putting the ball through this area or not, thus a nice red Tea towel.
I still shoot off to the left a bit, but I'm working on correcting that, and my wife helps too. Today I had to shoot over her car parked right in my shooting lane. It was a help too, as I managed to hit the target many times from about 8 metres, and only hit her car twice. Thankfully when she wasn't there to see. She never saw the first shot that I made either...No one ever sees when you make a perfect first shot! And she was there then, so I suppose you take the good with the bad.
The kids help to focus my eye as well, especially when they decide they want their swing set back and I'm not ready to give up for the day. They've discovered that the netting around the trampoline is not only good for preventing them falling off! It's great to cower behind as well!
My dog is a bonus. I can lay out five tennis balls and shoot the same one over and over again, without ever having to reach for a fresh one. Today, however, may have changed that, for keen as he is to help, he lit out before the shot to get a head start. And a head start is what he got! If I was hunting Jack Russell with a rock I would have come home a real man. A more perfect kill shot couldn't have been made if I tried...I missed my target by some few feet to the left and low... and sent my poor dog into a somersault with a tennis ball to the back of the head.
I'm not sure he's forgiven me yet...We'll see if he's still a keen collector tomorrow. Wink

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Funditor
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Re: A good thing tennis balls don't hurt...Much.
Reply #1 - Apr 2nd, 2013 at 6:51am

Aw, poor guy!  Looks like he's the first to sustain Funda Ball contact! 

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

Mick
Descens

May your stone always
be well buried.

Brisbane/Redcliffe
Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2013 at 6:57am

I believe my last words to him were, "Don't bring this one back dog, I'm knackered!". I guess he just didn't listen. But in all seriousness, he's fine...Or just really really tough!  Smiley

Mick

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #3 - Apr 2nd, 2013 at 3:19pm

If I did that to my dog, he would never forgive me.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Mick
Descens

May your stone always
be well buried.

Brisbane/Redcliffe
Reply #4 - Apr 2nd, 2013 at 8:03pm

Nah, he's all good SS. He's been back at it, bringing my ammo back for me this morning. My aim is improving as well. I seem to be bringing my shots more into the line that I want, so my technique is definately improving. Soon I will just have to work on my release timing to get the right height  Smiley. Not bad for someone that's really only just got started in this. Get that lot down and I will start changing my distances and shooting from random points to really put the pressure on. Don't see that happening for a while yet though. I don't expect to make perfect shots all the time (well, actually I do, but the reality is that I've started too late in life for that to ever happen), but getting a reasonable percentage will suffice.

Mick

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5 - Apr 2nd, 2013 at 8:43pm

A Kodak moment!

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Apr 2nd, 2013 at 8:49pm

Just guessing, you may be hitting left because you are bending forward just a little before you release, or as you start to release, instead of pivoting your hip and stepping into the throw with your back straight, you bend at the waist and then release.

I haven't managed to hit one of my dogs but I did manage to dead center the windshield of my car once.  Thank the stars that it was a tennis ball and not a rock or golf ball...

IP Logged

Mick
Descens

May your stone always
be well buried.

Brisbane/Redcliffe
Reply #7 - Apr 3rd, 2013 at 1:57am

Thanks for the tip Bill, I'll keep an eye open for any bending forward. I don't think I do it, as I try, for now, just to remain standing and slinging relatively gently, trying to put just the power into the throw to fly straight to the target with little if any parabolic arc. I am using only a short distance (measured today and it's just short of 33ft or 11 metres if you're metricated) so straight and true is a reasonable expectation isn't it?
I'll pay closer attention to what the body is doing at any rate. I've been concentrating on what the arm is doing, but stopping my focus at that.
If you haven't clocked your dogs yet Bill, they're either smarter or faster than my bloke Smiley.

Mick

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Apr 3rd, 2013 at 12:58pm

The two Labs would think it was great fun, the English Pointers and the Golden Retriever would get hurt feelings, The Mighty and Magnificent Dog (Mikey D for short) would run and hide and Cleo the queen dog would bite me.

IP Logged

Mick
Descens

May your stone always
be well buried.

Brisbane/Redcliffe
Reply #9 - Apr 3rd, 2013 at 6:13pm

Now that there sounds like a great family you have, Bill. Wish I could have that many hounds around me.  Smiley

Mick

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Funditor
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #10 - Apr 4th, 2013 at 1:27am

Me too!  They sound like a pack of fun (pun quite definately intended..).

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #11 - Apr 5th, 2013 at 4:05pm

I have accidentally hit my dog either with a tennis ball or light snow balls. The hits didn't hurt him so much because in the all cases he was far away. But I really wouldn't want to hit him from a closer distance.

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Mick
Descens

May your stone always
be well buried.

Brisbane/Redcliffe
Reply #12 - Apr 6th, 2013 at 9:49am

Yeah, but I throw like a girl Yurek.  Grin

Mick

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #13 - Apr 6th, 2013 at 10:46am

Mick,

Anyway, be careful. You don't know the day when your shots will become devastating. The day is coming, no doubts Smiley My dog often chases bouncing back tennis balls. When he is between me and a target I don't use any overhand style so as not to shoot too low accidentally. I always keep him behind the plane of the lash. You have a nice dog. I am sure he is a good slinger's comrade.

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Mick
Descens

May your stone always
be well buried.

Brisbane/Redcliffe
Reply #14 - Apr 6th, 2013 at 7:20pm

Thanks Yurek.  Smiley
And yes, he is a good mate, and slingers helper. I do my utmost to keep him safe. Looked after better than my children in some cases I suspect...Although I've never bowled one of them over with a tennis ball to date. Hopefully I never do either.  Smiley

Mick

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Chris, Morphy)