Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Swiss Arrow (Read 6859 times)
NorthwoodsSlinger
Descens

Mountain Man

Swiss Arrow
Mar 31st, 2013 at 11:10am

I searched the site for a bit and can't find any threads dedicated to the swiss arrow. I made three a while back and dabbled with it fora while, but I just cannot get the throw right. I'm not getting any power behind it. If it helps at all I am using wooden dowels 3/8" x 36" with duct tape fletching and field points as well as a jute string. I think they're weighted fine, because if I throw them by hand they fly true and much further than when I try using the string.

This is such an effective weapon when used correctly, plus it's so lightweight and portable. I'd really like to gain some proficiency. Any help is appreciated  Smiley

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I cut straight through the forest, and that has made all the difference.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Swiss Arrow
Reply #1 - Mar 31st, 2013 at 11:21am

Go down and look at the amentum vs atlatl thread.  Check out some of David's videos..

Your point is not heavy enough.  You will need at least 300-400  (one ounce) grains to make it work right, and a larger shaft will help, go up to 1/2 inch,  basically a Swiss arrow is a short spear thrown with an amentum.

IP Logged

NorthwoodsSlinger
Descens

Mountain Man

Reply #2 - Mar 31st, 2013 at 11:36am

Gotcha. So I essentially just have three wooden arrows? I'll have to give them a go out of my bow and see if I might can use them somehow.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I cut straight through the forest, and that has made all the difference.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Mar 31st, 2013 at 4:50pm

I researched these superficially a while back. The wikipedia page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_arrow basically has the "how to" for british schoolboys. Includes some dimensions. Possibly worth the look.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #4 - Mar 31st, 2013 at 7:12pm

Pathfinder dart AKA Swiss Arrow :  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCyKrQDFA28

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Mar 31st, 2013 at 8:50pm

If those are poplar, when you shorten them to 30 inches or so, most will spine out around 50 pounds.  I made a lot of squirrel arrows from 3/8th poplar.  I used hex nuts for the point, found some moth eaten feathers that were really cheap, (I tossed them in the freezer for a week, problem solved), bought bulk nocks, didn't bother to paint them.  I only have one fletch clamp, I made an arrow a night for the summer, shot them up during squirrel season.  Great fun and good eats.

IP Logged

NorthwoodsSlinger
Descens

Mountain Man

Reply #6 - Mar 31st, 2013 at 10:23pm

Increasing the weight of the point worked well! The only way I could do it with what I had on hand was to use two sockets, one that fit snugly on the dowel with a larger one on top of that. I secured it with electrical tape and it throws SO MUCH better now. I was starting to think It was me that was the problem. I hate being the problem. I plan to go pick up some bigger dowels tomorrow.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #7 - Apr 1st, 2013 at 1:43am

i played around with many throwable stuff and it got clear,that without much leverage assisting aid ,one needs at least half a pound of weight to be able transfer decent amount of energy into the projectile.

With leverage this weight can go down to as little as 2 ounces (long thin sling with lead gland)
For a swiss arrow a 4-8 ounce weight should be quite good,depending on length,air resistance,etc.
I threw atlatl,amentum spear,spear,sling,by hand,and some kind of swiss arrow too.

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #8 - Apr 1st, 2013 at 3:03pm

ILovepancakes, your points are coming....
Anyway, Honeysuckle shoots make good swiss arrows... I have played around with them a bit.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Reply #9 - Apr 3rd, 2013 at 7:54am

squirrelslinger wrote on Apr 1st, 2013 at 3:03pm:
ILovepancakes, your points are coming....
Anyway, Honeysuckle shoots make good swiss arrows... I have played around with them a bit.

Thanks squirrelslinger

On Topic
I have made quite a few Swiss Arrows, modeled them after Dave Canterbury's design. Just using field points I can get about 60-70 yards range and up to the fletching penetration on a couple of layers of cardboard with 1/4 by 36 inch oak dowel rods.

Am I the only one who finds it slightly amusing that people are debating the merits of riot shields against zombies in a totally normal manner?     I do love this forum. -Morphy

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Apr 4th, 2013 at 10:33pm

I never had any luck with anything that small and light, my experiance mirrors Jlasud's, its got to have some weight to work well.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #11 - Apr 8th, 2013 at 9:14pm

Topic added to the PW's index.
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #12 - Apr 17th, 2013 at 11:42am

Here is a video of a German kid making a throwing arrow, 8 mm x 1 m , three feather fletches, nail and two large hex nuts as the point. Interestingly his string is fixed to the tail and extends about half way along the shaft, ending in a loop. The tip of the index finger goes in the loop and the string trails after the dart in flight.

This is pretty close to the description of the Kern dart, a throwing arrow or light javelin with a fixed throwing thong used by Irish light infantry in the middle ages, equivalent to the peltasts of the classical Greek military. The Kern were also slingers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kern_(soldier)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner)