Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Advanced material basic sling (Read 4463 times)
vonuberoydawg
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

New Milford, Ct
Advanced material basic sling
Mar 29th, 2013 at 5:15pm

I searched the forum but only found one post relating to Dyneema, or Spectra, one of the worlds most high tensile strength flexible fibers.  a 1.4mm wide 8 strand braided rope can support up to 350 lbs(160kg), which would be more than enough to split down into single fibers, and still maintain a breaking strength of over 40lbs (assuming no loss in strength due to the weave) I imagine this could be used to make a very high material tech, but basic sling that could be used for distance record setting.  you of course would need to worry about it whipping back and hitting you, but I suspect if you were to add some kind of fuzzy cotton ball on the release end it would still allow a nice release, but would stop it from reaching supersonic speeds and whipping back to slice you open.  any thoughts?  have I completely missed a thread that already covers this kind of stuff... if so I apologize, I am brand new to the forum, but wanted to share my thoughts on the subject.

IP Logged

HuntsmanSling
Funditor

Sling Maker

Vancouver, WA
Re: Advanced material basic sling
Reply #1 - Mar 29th, 2013 at 6:24pm

Funny thing I'm actually on the fishing bank right now fishing for steelhead and salmon here in Oregon. I just watched the vid on sport fishing dyneema line.. And not a single guy on the bank knows what it is. But I'm sold I think I will try to get my paws on some of their ultra thin angler line and try to make a sling out of it. Good post!

A lot of people on here use paracord which I feel is too thick. I use sporting cord or utility cord for my slings which is thinner but which always shows wear after a thousand rocks or so. This might be my solution Smiley

"Discipline leads to self respect which leads to courage"

Huntsman Slings available on Etsy HERE
&
seen on Youtube HERE

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #2 - Mar 29th, 2013 at 7:05pm

I have some Dacron power kite line that has some ridiculous breaking strain despite being like thick thread. I made a sling out of it with lots of turns at each pouch end to stop it cheese wiring through, and paracord ends to hold on to. It worked okay but it was insanely tangly so I gave up. I probably should try it again, I can sling much better now than I could then.

You should not forget to make the pouch small and well fitted to the ammo, this is also a huge source of drag.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Mar 29th, 2013 at 11:22pm

We discussed it a bit here, but its certanately a worthy topic of discussion.  http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1329312159

While it makes sense that a sling with less resitance will throw farther because of the increased speed of the sling, I haven't really noticed a much difference between thick and thin slings besides feel, in which case the heavier slings feel better.

Now, if there were a sling that had low air resistance (with cords about the size of 550 cord), significant weight, and a short tapered pouch, you'd be about at the edge of simple sling evolution while still mainting usuablity.

I've made a sling from a couple strands of 10lbd fishing line and a tapered DT pouch. It was pretty awkward and tangled really easily.

There's defintely a trade off point between usability and performance, when you find that, you're golden.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

vonuberoydawg
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

New Milford, Ct
Reply #4 - Mar 30th, 2013 at 12:50am

I read through some of the posts suggested earlier in this thread, but I guess I was thinking it would be really easy to make with dyneema because you wouldn't need to braid it at all, it would just be the simple line, and have some sort of attachment for holding and release, still have the flexibility, and still have the strength.  plus it seems to be more like nylon, or paracord, which is known to work pretty well, its just a stronger newer type fiber.  the real goal is to eliminate as much drag as possible, and I feel like having the most weight at the end of the sling where the ammo is lets you feel the release better, so you could have a better throw...  maybe?  it also of course totally depends on your projectile, I suppose the BEST would be something like osmium or some rare element that has an incredibly high density so you could maximize weight but minimize air resistance due to fluid friction over the surface.  Like most of the bipointed lead pellets, but much more expensive, and more dense.  I wonder....

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #5 - Mar 30th, 2013 at 1:54am

Very thin cords tends to tangle very easily,like others too have experienced it.
I used 3 strands of leather sewing thread,braided,9 strands of dacron B40,sinew.
Recently i twisted rawhide strip,into thin cord ~2.5mm (1/10").
Osmium bullets would be expensive like hell ~ 800$ /shot
Lead remains the densest affordable ammo for most of us.
If you could find a very stiff,very thin,very lightweight cord,that would be THE ultimate sling cord. Something like lightweight piano cord  Tongue

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

vonuberoydawg
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

New Milford, Ct
Reply #6 - Mar 30th, 2013 at 3:30am

hmmm I never really thought of stiffness being something you WANTED in a sling.  Carbon nanotubes must be the way to go... I think they were already mentioned elsewhere, but once they can manufacture graphene the way they want... its only a small leap to get to the tubes and the ideal sling material.... now if only we all had thousands of dollars to spend on a sling...

Also, in my quest for looking up more dense ammo, Lead is only about 1/2 the density of osmium... CRAZY!

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #7 - Mar 30th, 2013 at 4:51am

I mentioned stiffness for THIN cords,so they don't tangle. Otherwise for a heavy ,thick corded sling,stiffness may be not so desirable.
I forgot another important factor: stretch. I think 0 stretch is optimum for sling cords/pouch.
Lead costs like ~20 cents per shot,and Osmium bout 800$ per shot so,i'll take the half density lead please Wink

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Mar 30th, 2013 at 12:51pm

40 lb breaking strain is probably not enough.
Given that you've got a 40-50 inch long sling with a 2-3 oz weight at the end.
You want to missle to end up 350 plus metres away. That's a lot of stress on the cord.
Now it might not add up to 40 lb, but if you get the slightest nick in the thin thread you're 40 lb drops to the point where it's most likely going to snap.

Braid it and you should be okay.

Plus for distance slinging as long as you are not using rope and a big old treb pouch - air resistance is not really an issue.

You might get a %5 distance increase by going from 2mm paracord and a slim leather pouch to carbon nanotubes and custom fitted netted pouch.

But with proper distance slinging it's almost 100% down to technique.

Make the most technical slings you can and you'll still have to spend years honing your slinging technique - there are no shortcuts in slinging Smiley

I'm not saying don't do it - just telling you it won't make you a better slinger.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Mar 30th, 2013 at 1:06pm

Slnging is probably the one sport that money cannot buy improvment.  Except for that osmiun gland. 

Even useing braided Spectra, you may have to put a bead or button on the release cord to get the pouch to open cleanly.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #10 - Mar 30th, 2013 at 4:15pm

Tungensten is 175% the density of lead, and not over-expensive. still around $10-20 per shot. Expensive, but not overly.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

vonuberoydawg
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

New Milford, Ct
Reply #11 - Mar 31st, 2013 at 3:44am

The osmium and carbon nanotubes comments are more conjecture and overkill optimizations, but still... a world record is a world record if it helps you achieve it..., so if you wanted to make it best you could, money is not an obstacle, you would want to utilize something like that I guess... anyway, as for the spectra/dyneema (same material different name) it has next to 0 stretch, and is quite flexible as far as I can understand.  Many people it sounds like have used nylon fishing line which is likely to kink, but dyneema is a stronger more abrasion resistant cord, and as far as I can tell would be perfect for a very lightweight, strong, low air resistance sling.  I just have not seen any posts about it and wanted to know if anyone had considered it.  I think sometime soon I will end up ordering a hank of it and do some of my own testing.  I also make paracord bracelets so I was wondering to myself whether the spectra would work well for them, so I could test both.  I really don't think it would need to be braided though depending.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #12 - Mar 31st, 2013 at 7:36am

I haven't made a sling with one of the super lines but I have experimented with very thin cords.  IMO you can make your cords TOO thin.  You need to be able to feel the cords when you sling.  Thin is good but you can over do it.

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Funditor
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #13 - Apr 1st, 2013 at 5:54am

Has Anyone ever tried weed eater cord?  I keep thinking I should give it a go, but I never seem to get around to it.

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #14 - Apr 1st, 2013 at 7:48am

When i used my 3 strand braid leather sewing twine,it was VERY wierd. It sailed through the air by itself,which is fine,but ,still somehow i wasn't that efficient with it,than my thin hemp sling.
I just couldn't feel it good.

Probably it needs special training,familiarization with such hyper velocity slings,and my guess is that the ideal gland weight should also be a bit higher,like adding the weight of the sling,to the missile,as very thin slings weight a few grams only.
So it possibly lacks an ounce or a bit less than,regular thin slings.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Morphy, vetryan15, Kick)