Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print
WOW!!! Rabbit sticks are no joke! (Read 53256 times)
manu3259
Tiro

memento finis

France
Re: WOW!!! Rabbit sticks are no joke!
Reply #120 - Sep 1st, 2014 at 3:16pm

I watched your video, Whipartist, these are beautiful sticks. You have probably reached the limit of solidity for a non metallic stick  Wink Maybe if someone would use titanium for a rabbit stick it would be stronger, but the price would be great.  Grin i think your sticks are tough enough, us, stick and boomerang throwers, know they all will break or be lost one day.  Smiley

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Stone Slinger/Stick Thrower

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #121 - Sep 2nd, 2014 at 12:54am

Titanium Kylies!  Now you're talking!!  I doubt that I will have another breakage anytime soon.  That stick was pushed past normal limits.  Certainly normal use isn't what I put these things through! 

IP Logged

ela_gozlu_avci
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #122 - Sep 2nd, 2014 at 1:37pm

Whipartist,

Thank you very much for all the tips you're giving. Really appreciated.

I started making Kylies with lil-lil design. This is an Australian gigantic Kylie that is also called a "club boomerang" due to its enormous size and mass. It was supposed to be a fighting club as well as a throwing stick (Pls see my previous video). My lil-lil was 10-15 cm shorter and 60-100 gram lighter than 500+ gram originals. A few days ago I made a new kylie from hardboard and for the first time it was too light and rose aggressively (please watch video). However, it flew well over 60 m and stopped by the tribune around the field, would have been landed as far as 80 meters from the throwing point. I thickened it by adding another hardboard laminate instead of playing with lead weight. We'll see how it'll respond.

In the video you'll see different kylies with completely different flight characteristics (please read the explanation under the vid). Except the most recent one all the kylies are on the "heavier" side. I believe that these were designed to throw at bigger targets and from relatively closer distances, i.e. kangaroos or even humans. Lil-lil's relatively vertical throw requirment indicates that it is not for varmints or other creatures living on the ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhOD-vOumXE&feature=youtu.be

Your design is lighter than mines despite the excessive length. More wing surface with lower mass means more lift.

What you may find interesting is I'm experimenting with a very unique design. A "snake-baton" as called by Howard Carter, the archaeologist who found King Tutankhamun's tomb. Among 30-something throwing sticks two were of this type. Another Egyptian tomb's wall painting shows a hunting scene and the use of such a TS. In the video there is a short footage showing me in front of the original painting in the British Museum in last April. This design is too narrow to create lift, at least I think so. I am making a cardboard prototype. I am going to share the results of my experience.

IP Logged

ela_gozlu_avci
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #123 - Sep 5th, 2014 at 11:31am

Hello folks,

I added aother layer to my harboard-made "bird of prey" kylie to increase the weight. In its final shape it weighed 255 gram and the excessive lift is reduced though it should be reduced more for a perfectly-straight flight. I'm going to try negative dehidral to achieve a better flight path. Contrary to the larger one, the smaller one needed a little bit lift and I achieved it by twisting the leading wing. Now,it flies on a beautiful, straight trajectory! It weighs 175 gram in the final shape. A short video clip showing some test throws and the humble throwing stick collection of mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYBo3-7mTAM&feature=youtu.be

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #124 - Sep 5th, 2014 at 2:11pm

Gözlü avcı ?

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #125 - Sep 10th, 2014 at 2:44am

Yeah what's your name Ela Gozlu Avci?  Thanks for sharing the videos. 

You're getting better and better results with the sticks.  Your airfoils are working but you need to get them tuned.  I know the thrill of discovery involved with this.  Keep having fun with these.  My 5 year old son and I spend hours together on "Walkabout".   

Have you read Felix Hess Thesis On Boomerangs yet?  It has some ideas on kylie tuning and can be downloaded for free online.  It gives you something to think about anyway, whether accurate to reality or not.  Theories on aerodynamics and mathematical models are never quite accurate to reality in my experience with them, but Hess is pretty in depth with his.  Kylie tuning is a lot more complex and multi-dimensional than boomerangs apparently are. 

I've variously tuned with skew and dihedral applied to different parts, as well as with the carving of the wing surfaces themselves, and of course the shape of the overall stick.  In this I have found that there are actually multiple ways to correctly make and tune a kylie, including multiple correct airfoils which work as well.  Some ways are more aerodynamically efficient than others and thus hold energy longer.   Skew can cause a lot of drag, for instance. 

Eliminating the right-ward's veer and excessive lift at the end of your flights will increase your range and accuracy quite a bit because the energy will go into forward motion instead of lift and turning, and you'll be able to take accurate shots at targets at longer and longer ranges as you get better and better at tuning. 

My goal is a perfectly straight throw for as far as possible.  I've been spending hours on experiments in the last few months and making new discoveries every week.  Right now I'm at about 65-75 yards target accurate straight throws.  By target accurate I mean that the kylie flies straight like a laser beam.  Distance is irrelevant to me as long as it's 86 yards or less.  Further away, targets appear smaller which means my aim needs to be better.  But I don't throw at a different trajectory than I do at 20 yards.  This range is gradually increasing as I hone the efficiency of my design. 

I've just started experimenting with turbulators so I expect to increase my target ranges and maximum ranges further.  I will report back and eventually get some more videos once I have something new to show.  Video quality is always a concern! 

The way straight line flight is achieved by an instrument which is continually bleeding off its energy as it travels out: is by tuning the kylie to harness gyroscopic precession to very slowly but progressively pitch up little by little, as it travels out - at just the rate necessary to turn forwards energy into continually increasing lift, through continually increasing "direct lift" forces.  It's like a plane coming in for a landing almost.  The nose pitches up as the speed reduces.  The result is that at really long range the kylie's spin appears more and more visible to the thrower as it pitches up (tilts backwards).  At those ranges it starts to loose energy more quickly.  I don't really notice this effect at ranges below 65-80 yards, depending on the efficiency of the stick. 

Heavier and longer kylies will fly just as well as the lighter ones.  Lift is a vague thing which isn't related much to weight, since bigger kylies also have bigger wings.  I never put weights in the wings.  I want the biggest sized stick I can throw. 

The heavier kylies require a different grip and thus throwing technique.  Up to about 340 grams and 67cm I'm able to comfortably use an extended grip, and I'm very accurate with this.  Beyond this in either length or weight, and I use a hammer grip.  The hammer grip allows for much greater weight and length to be managed at full velocity throws. In fact more length and weight are helpful to get good velocity into the throw.  But the hammer grip throwing technique has a bit slightly slower initial velocity than my extended grip technique, with a slightly greater spin rate.  At least that's how it has been for me thus far.  Still, the ranges are good in my experience with them.  380 grams x 72cm to 500 gram x 67cm kylie are typical weights and lengths from Central Desert Aboriginal Australia of the past.

I plan to start making and throwing more sticks in this heavier longer range in the near future, and trying to develop my throwing technique with them.  They are ideal for deer hunting.  But first I want to perfect my design on the mid range ones, which I believe may be better for rabbit hunting, etc....

Ben

IP Logged

ela_gozlu_avci
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #126 - Sep 11th, 2014 at 8:34am

Ben,

Thanks a lot for the long, detailed answer.

My name is Murat. I live in Istanbul, Turkey.

My interest in TSs started as a part of the extension of my obcession to traditional archery and interest in Ancient Egypt's civilization. But afterwards, I have  somehow been involved with the prehistorical findings in an archaelogical site in Yenikapi, Istanbul. This site is famous and known internationally too, especially with the excavated 36 ship wrecks from Byzantine era. They had sunk while being anchored in the Harbour of Theodosius, 1200 years ago. Yenikapi excavations have been published in Discovery Channel, in the U.S too, so you might have come across it. A more inspiring aspect of the site is that it has a deeper stratum (layer) that is 6500 to 8500 years old, dated back to the neolitic era of Istanbul. I found the chance to have access to the site in 2009 and coincidently became so involved that I had never dreamed of. I was able to identify some neolitic weapons which the professionals in charge could not. Two of them are throwing sticks and one of them has aerodynamic features. The third piece is a bow fragment. They all are important findings, not only because they are some of the oldest found, but also are they the only wooden prehistoric artefacts excavated in Turkey. A sort of mud (peat?) conserved them perfectly, and luckily there were a serious, well-trained archaeology team on site, and they saved them and started the conservaton preocess immediately. So, that's why my curiosity to TSs grew up in time. Recently, I received the official permission from the Minister of Culture so that I can do research on the artifacts and make replicas of them. What I am focusing on is "experimental archaelogy", i.e finding out how this weapon(s) actually functioned. I made the very first replica of the Yenikapi TS from cardboard (the lamination technique that I mentioned before) and an article based on the very early results is being processed for publication (was given as paper in a symposium).

Nowadays I am working on making copies from different materials based on the model I made. Then, the real reseacrh will start. All the playng with other desgins helped (and is still helping) me understand what I should expect from a TS and how far I could tune one.

Your tips and all the info helped a lot. Thanks again. I knew the PhD dissertation of Dr. Hess but I  did not know that a free Pdf was available (had found only published copies, either unavailable or too expensive), just googled it and downloaded. Will read it in the first occasion. Other than all the available articles on the net (antropologic, archaelogic, and hobby) I read two books:

http://www.amazon.com/Primitive-Technology-Book-Earth-Skills/dp/0879059117
http://www.springer.com/astronomy/astrophysics+and+astroparticles/book/978-0-387...

Info about tuning straight-flyers is rare. Personal experience is priceless but takes time. I reached 60 m range (perfectly straight) with the most recent TS I made. To decrease lift I tried negatve dehidral and it worked well!

I know that youare curious about the prehistoric TS. I attach I pic showing the original with the first replica I made. Note the crack in the longer wing which is identical to the original (it is abscent), a valuable result that I got from the early test throws. Second replica that I am working on is a better copy (corrected by comparing the 1st with the original) and its copies from materials with various specific weight is on the way (the wood species of the original has not been officially analysed yet).

I'll keep you posted too.

Best,

Murat

IMG_4615.JPG (3841 KB | 226 )
IMG_4615.JPG

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #127 - Sep 11th, 2014 at 11:51pm

Murat from Istanbul,

Thanks for the fascinating story about the archaeology and the picture.  I find the experimental archeology to be of great interest as well.  I started off with slings in this regard.  Understanding the dynamics of ancient tools through re-creating them and developing expertise, reveals a lot. 

The conclusion of my journey will end in natural wooden replicas, if time permits.  For now I am working in the more stable and durable material, but rediscovering the ancient techniques is a lot of fun.

Properly applied negative dihedral and skew will keep your kylies from pitching up too much.  Every kylie shape tunes differently.  Some things are best done with a blade instead of a bend, because skew causes drag, which shortens ranges.  Too much negative dihedral can make your stick unstable in flight.  Everything inter-relates.  Skew and dihedral are almost the same thing on a bent arm, as Hess points out. 

My experiments with turbulators is a success.  I will refine the technique over more time.  I just made a new flight distance record this morning.  114 yard throw at the park.  With some very fine tuning, I believe I will beat that distance.  I'm aiming for 120 yards next goal!  Most of my throws were about 100 yards today, give or take a little.   

On my own property I've been able to start throwing from the weeds across the road from my property, 72 yards across and hit my targets on the fence.  If you are familiar with my videos you'll be able to place about where I'm standing.  In the videos I'm standing at the road.  Now I'm standing well beyond the other side of the road and throwing at the same targets.  I'm hitting my targets consistently I might add! 

Pictures attached.

I want to do some more refinements before I take more videos, but I eventually will.  At 60 yards you don't even have to throw very hard to get straight flights at your target.  It's incredible.   

(Edit:  I wanted to add that there was no wind at the park this morning.  A back wind would have boosted my range, but I'm trying to take measurements only on non-windy days as much as possible.  For hunting you always want to be throwing into a head wind anyway, because otherwise you won't find prey in the field!). 

Ben

IP Logged

ela_gozlu_avci
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #128 - Sep 12th, 2014 at 1:32pm

Yes, I am familiar with your videos (I am "abdulkabza" on YouTube) and found the performance of your kylies best among all the videos on the subject. As you say, capturing the flight is always a problem without professional attitude and equipment, but these videos provide great opportunity for the enthusiasts to share their know-how anyway.

A short question about te Egyptian "snake baton" that I have been dealing with lately. I haven't get a proper flght until yesterday Yesterday I realised that it requires a very different way of throw: a weak throw with a very sharp wrist snap! This way, it flew a good 30 meters on a almost straight path and than collapsed and fell down. A strong-powerful throw never worked. What I am wondering is whether t would be appropriate to add some weight to the tips of the wings. Theoretically, it will increase the duration of rotation, hence the flight time and distance, but the increase in total weight may intrfere with that and shorthen the maximm distance. I am not sure whether heavier wing tips enhance the initial rotation.

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #129 - Sep 12th, 2014 at 11:57pm

Murat,

I don't add any weight to my kylies but some makers do as far as I have seen.  I think that's a departure from the experimental archaeology, and I don't think they need it. 

Proper throwing technique should incorporate both full wrist snap and full throwing power.  I can use an extended grip on kylies up to 12 oz, and beyond that a hammer grip is necessary for me.  The Hammer grip imparts more spin than the extended grip, but both are adequate. 

If your kylie only went 30 meters and then it collapsed, then it either has significantly too much drag from the tuning or either the airfoil (looks very thick), tuning, or shape of the kylie itself is causing an unstable flight, which allowed it to come undone or fall apart mid flight.  That's what it sounds like to me.  It's hard to offer advise since every stick is different and requires different tuning.  Not every historical stick was refined to fly a long ways either.  Some designs were better than others and some were quicker to just make and abuse for close range throws.  The ones used for hunting Emu at 60 meters may not be my first choice to throw at a lizard on a rock. 

Just keep experimenting until you find the magic formula.  You'll probably stumble across it well before you understand it or can replicate it again, so hold onto any good sticks you have and study them.            

I just finished a big Central Desert Kylie which is 73cm long and weighs 400 grams (14oz).  It's fluted as well, which came out beautifully.  It broke one of my wood targets on the fence in two piece when it hit it!  I didn't have time to finish tuning it 100% before it got dark.  Definitely the type of thing I'd feel confident in if I were hunting deer!  A lot of power!!

Ben

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #130 - Sep 27th, 2014 at 3:21am

I established a new record distance straight throw with a kylie yesterday.  120 yards.  There was a slight wind out but it was a side wind and I think it was hurting me more than anything else, pushing the sticks over to the right.  Most of my throws with this stick were over 110 yards with second place being 117 yards and several at 114 yards.  Target accurate range is at least 80 yards if not more with this stick before it starts to rise above my mark a bit.    

The kylie used is 8.5oz.  I believe if I had a 12-16oz stick tuned equally well, then it would extend the range another 10 yards 20 yards or more due to extra momentum.  I'm experimenting in the smaller sizes and making only a few sticks in the full weight I prefer. 

I already have plans to beat this distance by other methods as well.  I've been learning a lot doing systematic experiments.  I have further experiments to do still. 

These kylies are naturally weighted and work great, but  I'm going to reconsider my opinion expressed above and experiment with adding weights to different parts of the stick and see if that helps distance extend further by delaying the pitch of the instrument past the 80 yards mentioned above.  Of course this is a departure from the experimental archaelogy I love so much. 

I do believe it will extend range some, as it does in boomerangs.  But it is a form of cheating from the standpoint of raw primitive technology.  That said, if I can get a 1 pound stick to fly in a straight line for 150 yards with enough energy to break the legs of a deer, then I'll be pretty happy about it, weighted wing tips or not.

My ultimate goal is to be able to do this using primitive tools, with natural bent oak or scrub oak branches, carved to shape.  I would not weight those.   

Ben 

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #131 - Sep 27th, 2014 at 10:37am

Whipartist wrote on Sep 27th, 2014 at 3:21am:
I established a new record distance straight throw with a kylie yesterday.  120 yards.  There was a slight wind out but it was a side wind and I think it was hurting me more than anything else, pushing the sticks over to the right.  Most of my throws with this stick were over 110 yards with second place being 117 yards and several at 114 yards.  Target accurate range is at least 80 yards if not more with this stick before it starts to rise above my mark a bit.    

I had to check to be sure, but unfortunately, Guinness (http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/) has no records for furthest Kylie throw.  And only 2 for returning boomerangs.

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #132 - Sep 27th, 2014 at 10:52pm

Oxnate,

200 meters is stated in the literature as higher end straight flight range for a traditional kylie.  Not all had this range, nor was it always an advantage.  Kylies specialized for hunting need perfectly flat straight flights, accuracy, weight, and stability. 

David Schummy holds the distance record on object thrown by human hand without mechanical aid, and that is with what looks like a hybrid between a tiny kylie and an MTA boomerang.  That's 427.2 meters.  It flies way up in the sky and doesn't come back down for a long time.  Most kylies are thrown to fly a level path from thrower to target rather than being thrown up into the sky like a boomerang.  He was going for distance and is using a specialized instrument which would be worthless for hunting something bigger than a dove.

I want to get maximum distance out of sticks that weigh about a pound give or take, and so I doubt I'll reach near 200 yards, but I will give it a try.  I'm more than half way there now.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ5dW5pHPYk

Ben

IP Logged

ela_gozlu_avci
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #133 - Sep 19th, 2015 at 8:22am

Hello ladies and gents (and especially Ben),

I keep making throwing sticks, and occassionally I made a few returning boomerangs too(the latter I found much easier, correct me if I'm wrong).

I am experimenting with "new" designs and try to reach longer distances with flatter and more stable flights. I successfully made a snake-shaped TS, like that I have seen in old Egyptian papyri, as well as tomb paintings (such a TS had also been excavated from King Tutankhamn's tomb) and now working on a bat-shaped one, which is the largest I've ever made. The first throws showed more lift than needed, despite the high total mass. With the snake-TS I was able to reach 67-68 m (73-74 yards) and almost perfect flight. It  travels perfectly straight 40-45 m far, just 20 cm above the ground. I am going to share pics, or better videos soon. Just a question now: During the initial flight tests the TSs usually broke because they do not land paralel but vertically onto their tips. I glued them successfully with two-component epoxy glues and sometimes reinforces with tapes. Afterwards they served well, and even if they broke, it was on another spot. Do you know whether any other glue will work that good? How about white carpenter's glue, for example? Thanks for your replies. Murat

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #134 - Sep 19th, 2015 at 6:42pm

I do not have a clue about which glues are best. 

Have you thought about putting a strip of wide, cloth backed tape over both sides of the TS?

I would love to see some pictures of the snake style throwing stick.  Especially the cross section.

I have a piece of caribou antler that has the correct curve, I split it lengthwise, each piece weighs about 100g and can easily be thrown for 50+m.  My longest throw is right at 68m, as best as I could measure it.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini)