Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print
WOW!!! Rabbit sticks are no joke! (Read 52861 times)
manu3259
Tiro

memento finis

France
Re: WOW!!! Rabbit sticks are no joke!
Reply #105 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 2:04pm

maybe a kind of heated iron like a pyrographer. It would not look like the pictures your posted, but their would be grooves.
i didn't realize these killies were such pieces of art;

Whipartist, your killies are very nice flying.  Cheesy I suppoze they are made from polycarbonate boards?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #106 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 9:39pm

Whipartist, have you ever played around with lighter Kylies? Like half the weight of the ones you are using?

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Stone Slinger/Stick Thrower

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #107 - Jul 22nd, 2014 at 12:54am

Yes polycarbonate boards.  Wonderful material!  Yes I have done the smaller stuff too.  It's easiest and cheapest to experiment on smaller models rather than full scale.

I have a couple that are just under 14" long and weigh almost nothing, but fly beautifully.  You can throw them with just two fingers and the thumb as a grip.  Great little toys. 

With a hammer grip you can throw heavier kylies still, but the overall velocity of the throw is reduced on this grip and the spin is enhanced.  I'm still experimenting with this.  My biggest kylie is 400 grams right now and about 72 cm.  I can throw it with either grip but I feel somewhat weak on the extended grip with such a long heavy stick.  The aborigines made some which were heavier than this still, but not all of them were.  This indicates to me that both grips could have been common.  Length is as difficult to manage as weight is.  Every cm longer increases the effort needed to throw well. 

Callahan concluded that about 12 oz and about 27" was ideal.  I basically agree with him so far but I will continue to experiment and learn.

I was thinking of using a 4mm u gouge to carve the channels.  I don't know if I have the patience or skill to do that, for what I'm trying to achieve.  I don't know if it will be better than my rough cut finish or not.  Last night I experimented with a gunstock checkering set I have but I wasn't too impressed with how well it worked.  Way too fine.

Here's some pictures I pieced together of mostly mid sized kylies around 24"-25"

Ben

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #108 - Jul 22nd, 2014 at 1:35pm

I've made stuff using stone tools.  The close up of the second kylie looks like it was abraded, not cut.  The maker took a toothed stone blade and went from one tip to the end, pressing lightly, then he repeated until he got the depth he wanted.

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #109 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 1:27am

Toothed stone blade and lots of patience.  On the other hand, a much more relaxing and satisfying way to spend a day than most of what we encounter in this age.  Primitive technology meant technological independence.  And that meant some measure of real freedom.  Until the more hi-tech stuff came along and made the playing field unequal.

IP Logged

Lee_the_slinger

Slinging Rocks!

Decatur,Tennessee
Reply #110 - Jul 27th, 2014 at 10:11pm

Hey y'all I'm fairly new to the forums here and I saw this thread yesterday and decided I had to have a rabbit stick  Smiley so I went out today and got a good branch. Its made from cedar which I'm sure probably ain't the best wood for this but cedars are plentiful on our property and the oaks we have don't usually have low branches, anyway I made it using only a hatchet and a couple of knives it's not pretty and it's kinda long about 35 inches I'm not sure how well it'll fly I haven't had a chance to test it. So what do y'all think, have any of y'all used cedar before, is it any count for rabbit sticks? Did I possibly make it too long? I would post a picture of it but I'm having trouble the WiFi is down and I'm having to battle terrible cell reception so I'll try tomorrow at work I'll have better signal.

Let us not despair but act. Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer but the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past, let us accept our own responsibility for the future. - John F. Kennedy

IP Logged

okapimike
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #111 - Jul 28th, 2014 at 4:09am

IP Logged

Lee_the_slinger

Slinging Rocks!

Decatur,Tennessee
Reply #112 - Jul 28th, 2014 at 2:44pm

Thanks for the video link okapimike I'm sure it would probably help me out unfortunately with my WiFi down I haven't any way to watch it at the time being my cell reception is barely holding up enough to be able to post. Also rather unfortunate I can't seem to post pictures of my rabbit stick theyre within the kb limit and it's a jpeg so I'm thinking either it's my phone or the resolution is too high (lowest res my phone takes is 1280x960).

Let us not despair but act. Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer but the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past, let us accept our own responsibility for the future. - John F. Kennedy

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #113 - Aug 28th, 2014 at 2:32am

I've put some work into refining and standardizing my kylie designs since I last posted on here.  I've been experimenting with the paint jobs too, with some attractive results.

One thing, that has helped, is a courser grooved finish on the top surface of the sticks.  This seems to help them keep a faster spin out at long range and fly more aerodynamically than without the course finish.  The faster spin allows for a slightly altered tuning which makes for a longer flight path.    

I've been able to boost my maximum distance on my kylies by about 10-20 yards since last posting!  Average straight level throws on my full sized sticks are now at about 70-80 yards, depending on how hard you're throwing and how much accuracy you are demanding. 

My personal best distance, yesterday with the heavy kylie, (only throwing 3 times) and throwing directly at a tree trunk standing 5' above the ground, was 93 yards!  I set up my throws so I could take careful measurements with Google Earth, and didn't have a lot of time on my hands or I would have thrown more. 

I know I can beat that distance if I stop aiming and just let loose!  I will be doing some additional distance throws on Thursday, at the park, if there is space available. 

During the final few yards of a 93 yard throw, the stick will rise just slightly and fall off slightly to the side, making the maximum target range somewhere more around 70-80 yards give or take, in which target accurate straight and level flight is achieved.  This final roll off, which occurs during the final 10-15 yards, is nice for helping you to see where the stick lands.  It sort of flags itself up, and you know to look for the kylie just to the right of your target, if you missed.  At these ranges I fear loosing the stick.  I can alternately tune the sticks to not do this, but a few yards are dropped off the flight range that way. 

I just uploaded a video to youtube on my Whipartist Channel, if anyone wants to see a few of the new sticks.  The black and orange kylie does not have the grooved finish, as you'll notice, but the others do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGcQbLSoCYU

I'm starting to sell these from my website on a limited basis, so I'll probably keep working on different designs in the future as people are interested.  I really love making, tuning and throwing them, but running them down is a lot of exercise!  Boomerangs are less tiring because they come back!!  Last week I threw the 330 gram stick so much that my arm went out of commission for a while!   

Another update, sadly, after having thrown kylies for a few years now, I just had my first failure of the polycarbonate plastic.  I had a kylie which hit an angular, sharp and solidly anchored part of a metal gate, and it nicked the edge pretty badly, and shattered the kylie cleanly in half behind the nick.  That stick had been thrown hundreds if not thousands of times at full force against solid objects.  It has been used to break oak branches by hand, and was on of my favorites to use and abuse.  It had hit rocks, fence posts, chainlink fence, busted through plywood, etc, hundreds of times without more than some minor dings and dents in the edges.  This time the sharp solid metal of this portion of the gate was too much for it, and it did break.  My 5 year old son cried when he saw the dead stick.  We've had a few adventures while I had that very stick in hand.  RIP good friend. 

Ben

330g67c.JPG (454 KB | 137 )
330g67c.JPG
IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #114 - Aug 28th, 2014 at 2:50pm

Wow I can't believe how much abuse that polycarbonate can take. You're spoiled now, it's going to be a pain to use the wood ones now lol.

IP Logged

ela_gozlu_avci
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #115 - Aug 29th, 2014 at 11:08am

I have been experimenting with other designs to understand the fundamentals, i.e. the length-width-weight ratios. So, first of all thanks a lot for giving the length and mass datas of your Kylies. It will be helpful. In a fistful kylies I made I never droped to 300 gram range. The recent one I made is a new design which I painted like a head of a bird of prey. It was not intentionally shaped like that. Material is cardboard as I used in my very early kylies. Cardboard has special gravitiy of 0,8 gram/cm^3 and could be considered as identical to many medium-weight wood species. I have not weigh it, but I will. Contrary to the previous few that I preferred biconvex cross-section this one has a planconvex one. The very first test throws (without any attempt to tune) revealed 55 m flights, parallel to the ground. I am going to share a flight test video as soon as I can shoot.

IMG_7371.JPG (75 KB | 149 )
IMG_7371.JPG

IP Logged

ela_gozlu_avci
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #116 - Aug 29th, 2014 at 11:09am

And it is a short-small one as an be seen here.

IMG_7374.JPG (71 KB | 121 )
IMG_7374.JPG

IP Logged

Arcane Tinker
Funditor

Slinging everything 'cept
b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Reply #117 - Aug 29th, 2014 at 8:05pm

What sort of cardboard? Not the corrugated type that large boxes are made of, I would think that sort of cardboard is too light. Are you using the heavy solid stock, the sort like used on the backs of drawing paper tablets?

Safety officers and lawyers, two paying professions until the internet came along...
Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

ela_gozlu_avci
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #118 - Aug 29th, 2014 at 9:22pm

Exactly. Not the corrugated type with canals but the pressed, solid type. It is available as plates in various thicknesses, so it's comfortable to choose one (or more) to reach the wanted overall thickness by glueing laminates to each other. I am using carpenter glue to bind the layers as well as to cover the finished TS with a protective shield. And I finish it with wood varnish as a more reliable protection against moisture.

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #119 - Aug 30th, 2014 at 11:36pm

I went to the park yesterday and with a side wind, I was able to get flights from about 98-102 yards straight. 

I was incorrect above about loosing a few yards range on the kylies which are tuned to not pop up at the end of the flight.  The one which I recently got 93 yards with is awesome, but the ones which beat it yesterday, didn't pop up and fall off to the right.  They went further.  They just flew straight out for 100 yards without turning or popping up at all.  And they beat the one which did pop up, by about 10 yards on most throws. 

I'm going to re-tune the one that pops up.  I think the energy is slightly wasted on that final pop as it rises against the gravity and that energy can be harnessed to go further.  Of course if I tune them down too much, then they fall short too, so it's a delicate balance out at such long range.  But once it's done it's done. 

Ela, there are a lot of pictures of Aboriginal kylies online from which I got design ideas.  Flight toys website has them as well as auction sights.  You'll get some weight and length measurements there.  Many are quite heavy, so you're not far off if you were above 300 grams.  It's just a matter of what your goals are.  I've made kylies that weigh less than and two ounces and fly to 60 yards.  And big ones just short of a pound which I struggle to throw at full speed but which fly well at the slower speed I can throw them at. 

300 gram range is capable of being thrown at full speed and that's what I like about it.  If the stick is too slow to the target, the target might run away.....   

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark)