Send Topic Print
Pitch collectin! (Read 2176 times)
LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Pitch collectin!
Mar 26th, 2013 at 5:40pm

Hey, went out looking for wood for gunstock clubs, ball headed clubs and adzes today in a new area and didn't find much to my liking, then stumbled across a nice patch of spruce forest with gobs of pitch all over the trees!  Not having come equipped to carry pitch I mcgyvered a container using a single piece of birch bark, (from a silver birch, it was very very stiff and split easy, probably work nice if you soaked it first,) and though I didn't make it pretty I came up with this idea of making two splits on each end along the grain, then cutting two slots for the ends of the splits to tuck into, (would have put them through 2 slots each if I had better bark,) and viola! a 2min. birch bark container for carrying pitch!  You can't see it on the top, but I scraped off a playing card deck sized gob of fresh white pitch as well, guess the sap is starting to run, will be making bark baskets again!

Posted this here as I'm using it for hafting my knives!

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Re: Pitch collectin!
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 8:50pm

WOW!!!! NICE
I want and need some pitch..
But i intend to collect my own. You know a good way to store fresh pitch? put it into a double broiler, then heat to HOT, let it melt, pour into cold water, pull out, and freeze. It stays soft for more than a year. More like 2-3 years(I just discovered this 2 years ago, when I found slingig.org, before I joined).
-Squirrel

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #2 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 2:41am

Never thought of that.  I can go out and get some anytime I need it so I have never gone to store it for more than a few months.  I now have to get this mixed up into a semi-soft batch of pitch glue and get some knives made up!  I have quite a few to make.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 11:20am

I have some glue sticks made up that are 6-7 years old.  They don't go bad that I am aware of, how did you make yours?

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #4 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 6:57pm

Bill Skinner wrote on Mar 27th, 2013 at 11:20am:
I have some glue sticks made up that are 6-7 years old.  They don't go bad that I am aware of, how did you make yours?

I did not make mine. I mostly use Pitch for starting fires. When you light a pile of wood shavings with a small match....
It makes a good torch.
Other uses....
I have a TON of uses for Pine Pitch.
When I make glue sticks, they do not dry out. It is when I store raw pitch(e.g melted into a jar and filtered) it gets dry.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #5 - Mar 29th, 2013 at 8:17am

Topic added to the PW's index.
Luke, please tell us how it works.
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Mar 29th, 2013 at 11:03am

I have some in a can that I melted and strained, then mixed with finely ground charcoal, beeswax and dried and ground rabbit droppings.  That is what I make my glue sticks from, I just keep adding ingrediants to keep the can full.  If your pitch is drying up and getting flaky, it is because you got it too hot when heating to strain.  Add some beeswax, not paraffin, and it will stop from being flaky.  It doesn't take much, just a few shavings.  And when you melt it next time, if your bubbles get larger than a BB, it's too hot.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Chris, Bill Skinner)