Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What happened to Hondero's "History of the Sling"? (Read 10876 times)
Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
What happened to Hondero's "History of the Sling"?
Mar 26th, 2013 at 9:28am

Did I miss something? Has the English version of the Historia de la Honda disappeared?

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Re: What happened to Hondero's "History of the Sli
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 2:16pm

Hmm, both of the wikis are gone.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #2 - Mar 28th, 2013 at 3:11am

Cry Cry Cry

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Mar 30th, 2013 at 2:53pm

they're there somewhere - think they were moved.

couple of recent threads I remember.

As I could never find the wiki in the first place - never noticed anything relating to it noidea 

But pretty sure it's around somewhere.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
Reply #4 - Apr 3rd, 2013 at 4:46am

If I recall correctly 4accord translated a lot of those articles, perhaps he still has an electronic copy of the article if it can't be found.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #5 - Apr 15th, 2013 at 4:01pm

C_A, they were not moved from slinging.org/wiki. A new wiki at slinging.org/wiki2 was made after the first wiki suffered a big spam attack, but only the main page was active. Now both are down and all the content from the wikis are gone including the Peruvian sling tutorial that I liked. Cry You can see that what once were active pages now are blank. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=historia+de+la+honda+site%3Aslinging.org%2Fwiki

Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Thomas

Rocks?

NORTHEAST OHIO
Reply #6 - Apr 21st, 2013 at 6:34pm

re: Hondero’s Sling History
I have what I think is the complete English version on separate pdf files. All I need is advice on how to properly email these multi meg files, they are big, beautiful and not in any particular order. It maybe better to load them to a cd and snail them over.    

Tom  

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #7 - Apr 21st, 2013 at 6:50pm

Thomas wrote on Apr 21st, 2013 at 6:34pm:
re: Hondero’s Sling History
I have what I think is the complete English version on separate pdf files. All I need is advice on how to properly email these multi meg files, they are big, beautiful and not in any particular order. It maybe better to load them to a cd and snail them over.    

Tom  

Click "attach" then individually email them.
You can email them to me and I will merge and upload to my slinging website.
Or Masika, or someone else.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #8 - Apr 21st, 2013 at 10:46pm

Thomas wrote on Apr 21st, 2013 at 6:34pm:
It maybe better to load them to a cd and snail them over.    

Tom  

Squirrel, I think they're too large to email. You can upload them to a cloud storage service and share the files with the rest of us by posting the link to each one. I know google drive can do this, but I don't know their privacy guidelines.

WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Thomas

Rocks?

NORTHEAST OHIO
Reply #9 - Apr 22nd, 2013 at 1:57pm

[/quote]
Squirrel, I think they're too large to email. You can upload them to a cloud storage service and share the files with the rest of us by posting the link to each one. I know google drive can do this, but I don't know their privacy guidelines. [/quote]

Masi

I can’t seem to get my head in a cloud yet, so I will get a fresh cd and put them all in a folder. If my cd burner still works I will send it to a mod, possibly somewhere in Alabama if that’s ok.

Tom    

IP Logged

Thomas

Rocks?

NORTHEAST OHIO
Reply #10 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 10:36pm

The English translation by 4accord is being mailed to Masi.

Tom

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #11 - Apr 24th, 2013 at 12:26am

I will both upload them to the forum and put them on a public accessible cloud drive. Should help with security a little.

WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #12 - Apr 24th, 2013 at 4:11am

Masiakasaurus wrote on Apr 24th, 2013 at 12:26am:
I will both upload them to the forum and put them on a public accessible cloud drive. Should help with security a little.

That is great that they will be available again. It represented an immense amount of work, so it's good to see it saved.

!s the Wiki lost never to be revived?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #13 - Apr 24th, 2013 at 6:59am

I know I've asked this before - but how did one access the wiki in the first place ?
If I knew where it was, I might be able to do soemthing with it - but I can't recall ever seeing a link on any of the pages.

one of the easiest ways to send files is by using mailbigfile.com

I can also store files on my paid for account for download by anyone.

I've also got a history of the sling on my kindle. Don't think it's honderos though, hang on...

nope it's by some guy called Robert E. Dohrenwend.

Actually called: the sling, forgotten firepower of antiquity.

It's not bad. Actually gets the ranges more or less correct which is bloody unusual for an academic.
Also a lot of useful sources cited at the end - which is normal for an academic Smiley

pdf attached to this post.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #14 - Apr 24th, 2013 at 10:48am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Apr 24th, 2013 at 6:59am:
I know I've asked this before - but how did one access the wiki in the first place ?
If I knew where it was, I might be able to do soemthing with it - but I can't recall ever seeing a link on any of the pages.

The wiki used to be accessible via http://slinging.org/wiki, and later (post vandalism) via http://slinging.org/wiki2 both presumably which resolved to some more 'concrete' URL.

Originally there was a link to the wiki (I think in the header section of the Goliath sub-forum) but that went away some time in the past year or two.

I went in search of the translation of Hondero's work - or the wiki - on the wayback machine a few days ago. No luck there except for the wiki front pages.
Quote:
I've also got a history of the sling on my kindle. Don't think it's honderos though, hang on...

nope it's by some guy called Robert E. Dohrenwend.

Actually called: the sling, forgotten firepower of antiquity.

It's not bad. Actually gets the ranges more or less correct which is bloody unusual for an academic.
Also a lot of useful sources cited at the end - which is normal for an academic Smiley

pdf attached to this post.

It is an excellent paper.  Still available from www.ipna.ie/documents/History%20of%20the%20Sling.pdf also Wink

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus)