Forum Moderation
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
FUNDA BALL!
Mar 25th, 2013 at 7:56am

Alrighty...

I wanted to point out something a little while ago about the Slinging as a Sport Board.  This particular Forum has been created in order to get Slinging recognized as a Legitimate Sport.  Many of us Artists have a narrow view of this, thinking only in terms of Accuracy Competitions or maybe Sling Golf.

My own personal designs are a bit Grander.  I Think that Slinging has great potential to develop many different types of Sport Games.  Here is the first Submission along those lines.

Introducing FUNDA BALL. (Or maybe Gladiator Ball, I can't decide.)

It will be a Team Sport played on a grass field about 80 Meters long and 40 meters wide.  Each Team shall have 5-6 players to a side.  The Object is to score as many points as possible, before time runs out, by hitting upright Static Targets, Flat Area Targets (about 10 meters in diameter), and the Opposing team's General.  Each Team will have (at Least) two "Artillerymen" who stay in the back field and attempt to score hits on the Area Targets, two "Shooters" who attempt to hit the Upright Static Targets, and the General who has many jobs within the game.  

Hits scored on the Area Targets will be worth 1 point.  Hits on the Large Upright Static Target will be 2 points and the small target above the large one will be worth 3 points. Hitting the General nets 10 Points...

I am currently in the process of writing up the Rule Book for this one and would love someone to test this game out for me. (I can't myself because of a bum knee...)

Anyway, here's a diagram of the Field and it's measurements.

« Last Edit: Nov 25th, 2021 at 5:52pm by LightSlinger »  

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Re: FUNDA BALL!
Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2013 at 9:16am

Can you aim at the other sides' players?  If you hit him, he's out for so long?  How about blocking a shot?  A tennis ball will smack you pretty hard, what type ammo were you going to use?

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #2 - Mar 25th, 2013 at 3:39pm

At the moment the rules call for tennis balls, but I've been toying with the idea of using stress balls injected with a bit of silicone in the center.  Should be heavy enough to actually throw, but not injurious when hitting a player.  And yes, players are valid targets, but getting hit doesn't knock them out of the game unless its the sixth player (teams can have up to six players, minimum five). Also, points are only earned upon hitting the other teams "general"l.  The only reason to fire on other players would be to distract them from making points on targets.
   And yes, you can block shots as well (if you can), players are just restricted from stepping into the target zones.
I can't wait to try it out!  

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 7:36am

so it's sort of dodgeball with targets ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #4 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 7:44am

Kind of...  Long Range, dodge ball with targets..  Currently, each player carries 5 balls onto the field with them except the General who can carry up to 10.  So, there will be 35-40 balls to a side.  

So, Long Range, Chaotic, dodge ball with targets..  The idea is to be almost like a battle simulation.  The two Shooters in the front would represent frontline attackers who concentrate on individual or smaller targets on flat fast trajectories, while the Artillerymen rain down ammo in parabolic arcs onto the area targets.  Much like they would have rained lead onto large formations from range.  The General's function is wide ranging.  He can move in and out of the forward attacking area and the back field at will, carry more ammo than the other players, call for counts(each field is only supposed to have so many balls in it at a time.  Discourages hoarding ammo..)
and effect Line Changes (Moving Attackers to Artillery positions and vice versa).

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 10:55am

What about the balls that go off the field?  Are they out of play or can the general go get them?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 5:03pm

the biggest flaw I can see is: You need a minimum of 10 slingers.

I've only ever seen 10 slingers in one place at the same time and 9 of them were learning.

I think games that concentrate - initially - on a maximum of 4 slingers, but probably 2 if we're being realistic. Would stand a much better chance.

But I do admire your optimism LS Thumbs Up

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #7 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 6:22pm

Bill Skinner wrote on Mar 26th, 2013 at 10:55am:
What about the balls that go off the field?  Are they out of play or can the general go get them?

They can be retrieved by any player.  The boundary lines indicate the "engagement zone". Shots can be made only by players within the engagement zone.  In fact, any players on the team not deployed on the field are also able to retrieve ammo and return it to the field, they just cannot enter the engagement zone.  They would also be restricted to their side of the field of course..  The only balls that cannot be retrieved are the ones that end up in target nets, or area targets.  Scores would be tallied at half time and the balls retrieved. 

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #8 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 6:27pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Mar 26th, 2013 at 5:03pm:
the biggest flaw I can see is:          You need a minimum of 10 slingers.
I've only ever seen 10 slingers in one place at the same time and 9 of them were learning.
   I think games that concentrate - initially - on a maximum of 4 slingers, but probably 2 if we're being realistic. Would stand a much better chance.
   But I do admire your optimism LS Thumbs Up

LOL!  Don't I know it...  The idea for this came up quite awhile ago and it's been bouncing around in my head wreaking havoc for so long I just had to finally let it out!  I know we probably won't see this anytime soon, but, I figure you have to think big to do big things! 
   Maybe I'll start a league.. Hehehe.

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space

IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Reply #9 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 6:55pm

LightSlinger wrote on Mar 26th, 2013 at 6:22pm:
Scores would be tallied at half time and the balls retrieved.  

And why not making it last as long as there are balls to play ?

The match stops when all of the 80 balls are in target ? That would be quite the long play game Grin

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #10 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 8:55pm

Caldou wrote on Mar 26th, 2013 at 6:55pm:
LightSlinger wrote on Mar 26th, 2013 at 6:22pm:
Scores would be tallied at half time and the balls retrieved.  

And why not making it last as long as there are balls to play ?

The match stops when all of the 80 balls are in target ? That would be quite the long play game Grin

That would be a super long game for the players!  I suspect that for this one you would need to be in pretty good shape to hang.  I mean, each teams field is 50 x 40 METERS.  Pretty big!  And think of how often you'll be bending over to pick up balls.. Man I get tired just thinking about it..

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 10:13am

How about when all the balls leave the field?  When it goes off the field, it's out of play.  

You will need face protection, a tennis ball in the eye will cause a black eye.  (I told him not to try to throw like that. Grin, think he might listen next time?)

« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2013 at 12:50pm by LightSlinger »  

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #12 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 12:51pm

Bill Skinner wrote on Mar 27th, 2013 at 10:13am:
How about when all the balls leave the field?  When it goes off the field, it's out of play.  

You will need face protection, a tennis ball in the eye will cause a black eye.  (I told him not to try to throw like that. Grin, think he might listen next time?)

The problem with waiting for the balls to be out of play is that the game would slow way down as the balls left the field.  

And yes, face shields and helmets required.  And Cups..

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Mar 29th, 2013 at 10:31am

Maybe we should have the same philosphy as the Choctaws' and Creeks when they play stickball, or Brits when they play rugby, if you get killed or injured while playing, it's treated the same as an injury or death in war.  It's a great honor to get killed while playing. Grin

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #14 - Mar 31st, 2013 at 7:42am

Maybe we should!  Man, "Gladiator Ball" is starting to sound better all the time!   Grin

Seriously though, this game would not be for the faint of heart.  There may be many occassions where a player may have to block shots on targets with their bodies much like a goalie in soccer (or Football for my Non-American Artists out there).  Since there is no bodily contact to be made with your opponents, we shouldn't need padded armor or anything, but Helmets with faceshields would be absolutely neccessary and it might not be a bad idea to wear some kind of thin armor.  Kinda like the stuff that BMX racers wear?  Just to keep the bruising down a bit.

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: LightSlinger, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Rat Man)