FUNDA BALL! (Read 49741 times)
Mick
Descens

May your stone always
be well buried.

Brisbane/Redcliffe
Re: FUNDA BALL!
Reply #15 - Mar 31st, 2013 at 9:12am

I, for one, would love to see this idea take off. I think it would be fun.  Smiley

Mick

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #16 - Apr 1st, 2013 at 2:59am

Mick wrote on Mar 31st, 2013 at 9:12am:
I, for one, would love to see this idea take off. I think it would be fun.  Smiley

Mick

I agree!  Wouldn't it be cool to see this on ESPN or Pay-Per-View?  I'd watch it for sure!

But, we need a plan right?  So...

#1.   Soon, I will be hosting a "Mini-Slingfest" in my town.  My hope is to increase our exposure quite a bit and maybe get a regular "Sling-Golf" Tourney started up at one of our local parks where they have the Disc-golf courses set up.  When people come out to the slingfest, I'll collect registrations and probably hold a drawing for some prize or other. 

#2.   I've been considering going up to our Church's "Men's Retreat" next time they hold one and have a couple of competitions there as well.  Again, collect some Registrants.

#3.   Maybe get a booth set up at the Renaissance Fair and do some classes, sell some slings, etc. 

After doing stuff like this for long enough, I may give starting a Funda-Ball League a try.  I figure that I'll need at least 500 registrants in order to have a decent shot...  I think that even getting two teams to start with would be pretty good.  Advertise a little around town and see what people think about it!

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

Mick
Descens

May your stone always
be well buried.

Brisbane/Redcliffe
Reply #17 - Apr 1st, 2013 at 3:58am

It would be excellant to see it take off. I wish you the best of luck with your promoting of slinging. When I get better at slinging myself, I hope to start getting others interested in it here too. At the moment, I'm just encouraging my kids to try it out and hopefully get others their age interested. I'm happy to make them simple slings for their friends when it comes to that.

Mick

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #18 - Apr 1st, 2013 at 6:49am

Yeah, that's where I've been at too!  I took the girls out to the park for some target practice the other day and ended up giving slinging lessons to about 7 kids from 6 years old to a 12 year old.  Drew a bit of a crowd too.  Wish I'd been better prepared at that time!

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

Mick
Descens

May your stone always
be well buried.

Brisbane/Redcliffe
Reply #19 - Apr 1st, 2013 at 6:52am

Mental note to self, carry some simple slings as give aways for the neighbourhood kids, and one or two for the big kids...

Mick

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #20 - Apr 1st, 2013 at 4:11pm

Well, I not infrequently play extreme long range dodge- the UFOwith friends. It ranges from blunt-foam pointed arrows, to slings with tennis balls and or water baloons.
I would love to see this happen.
I think the Aussie sling would be amazing for this particular target-thing.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #21 - Apr 1st, 2013 at 4:23pm

OK, I'm calling my team, 'Squirrel and Dan as Shooters, they're young and can run around a lot, me and RatMan as the Arty guys, cause we're old and we aint gonna run if we can help it, and Masi as the General.  Sorry Mas, but somebody has to supply the brains...plus you're young enough to run around if needed.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #22 - Apr 1st, 2013 at 8:46pm

Bill Skinner wrote on Apr 1st, 2013 at 4:23pm:
OK, I'm calling my team, 'Squirrel and Dan as Shooters, they're young and can run around a lot, me and RatMan as the Arty guys, cause we're old and we aint gonna run if we can help it, and Masi as the General.  Sorry Mas, but somebody has to supply the brains...plus you're young enough to run around if needed.

Thanks for that compliment. I am working on my accuracy... I can hit a car-sized target from 25 yards 90% of the time, and at 50 yards aound 50% of the time:D
I think you guys know what my target is:o
hahhaa Its actually a large foam panel...

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #23 - Apr 1st, 2013 at 10:18pm

Man, I'm getting flashbacks.  Nothing like being picked last for teams..

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space

IP Logged

Mick
Descens

May your stone always
be well buried.

Brisbane/Redcliffe
Reply #24 - Apr 1st, 2013 at 11:36pm

Me 'n' you LS. We'll show these pansies what wild fire is all about huh  Grin

Mick

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #25 - Apr 2nd, 2013 at 12:12am

You know it mate..  I think you just named our team!  The Wildfire!  Love it!

Moreover, Bill made a terrible mistake...

We choose Curious_Aardvark, David Morningstar and Camo_Sling!

You guys are sooooo hosed...  Age and Experience win the game boys..  Age and Experience..

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #26 - Apr 2nd, 2013 at 3:51pm

LightSlinger wrote on Apr 2nd, 2013 at 12:12am:
You know it mate..  I think you just named our team!  The Wildfire!  Love it!

Moreover, Bill made a terrible mistake...

We choose Curious_Aardvark, David Morningstar and Camo_Sling!

You guys are sooooo hosed...  Age and Experience win the game boys..  Age and Experience..

Age+experiance do not help if you cant move... Arthritis don't either...
LOL..
How bout this- Bill's team VS yours?

IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Reply #27 - Apr 2nd, 2013 at 5:18pm

Ok, so I will recruit for "old world" team...

With Jurek, Teg, Jlasud and Mauro, I don't think it would be boring...

On the "protection" side, could the "shields" used in this video (or some of the same kind) be used by the shooters ? It's foam, the size of your forearm and quite light and could be used to deflect shots.
the helmets they use make it not so easy to breath in after a while, otherwise it would have been ok (it's designed to stop heavy blows with padded weapons, usually, it works, you can barely feel the core until it's half inside your brain... or maybe I was practicising with brutes...)

Can we play in disguises ? I wanna be able to play this "trollball style" Grin (one on this video is wearing some great helmet ^^ ) or with re-enactment dressing  Cool

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #28 - Apr 2nd, 2013 at 5:28pm

I have been thinking about shields for the shooters actually!  Now that someone else mentions it, maybe it's a better idea than I initially thought..

I would leave it to the league to decide what appropriate uniforms would be, but if we want this recognized as a "legitimate" sport, uniforms that are more "sporty" and less "renaissance" might be better...  I think people would just see a bunch of kooks if we dressed like shephards or centurions.  But loose shorts with cargo pockets and jerseys might be seen as a new fangled (and exciting) sport!

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #29 - Apr 2nd, 2013 at 6:06pm

LightSlinger wrote on Apr 2nd, 2013 at 5:28pm:
 I have been thinking about shields for the shooters actually!  Now that someone else mentions it, maybe it's a better idea than I initially thought..

I would leave it to the league to decide what appropriate uniforms would be, but if we want this recognized as a "legitimate" sport, uniforms that are more "sporty" and less "renaissance" might be better...  I think people would just see a bunch of kooks if we dressed like shephards or centurions.  But loose shorts with cargo pockets and jerseys might be seen as a new fangled (and exciting) sport!

Well... I have some light 1/2 inch marine plywood shields I made that can easily stop a tennis ball. they are light, fast, and not too big. I can easily sling with one on, I do it all the time during snowball fights...
I also have a big @$$ 1 1/2 inch plywood shield that weighs nearly 50 pounds Shocked Shocked
My friends whale on it with hammers and I do not feel a thing.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, LightSlinger, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Curious Aardvark)