Send Topic Print
Brigandine Progress (Read 3719 times)
xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Brigandine Progress
Mar 25th, 2013 at 1:43am

Well it's been nearly a year (around 8 months of actual work), but here's my brigandine so far. I'm mostly working on it whenever I get more than a weekend of break. It was technically due a month or so ago, but I'm allowed to keep working on it until april or may something (hmm I should probably check on that deadline- not a biggy, I intend to finish in a few more days)

Here's a background on brigandine armor: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brigandine

Background on my project: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1336450954/0

here are all the plates, cut out. N.B. I'm missing a few plates on the shoulder and stuff, I'm going to make those after I rivet everything down so I can fit everything better.

and here's how much I have completed. My riveting and planning skills are a little sux0rz, so they're pretty uneven. Also, it took me until my 50th rivet or so to consistently get the rivet to look round and symmetrical, instead of being a lopsided lump of aluminum.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Re: Brigandine Progress
Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2013 at 2:17am

Very cool. I have never tried making somethign that complex. I made a scale armour vest 2 years ago. I have pics. At least of me in it.....
Maybe i can upload them. Venitian blinds make surprisingly good fake armour for a school project.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"

USA
Reply #2 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 12:07am

Man that's gonna be one sweeeet lookin' brig Grin

I've always wanted to make one (same design and layout of plates as yours, actually), but I never got around to it, due to the cost of materials to make one that's actually functional

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 11:28am

Go to Lowes or Home Depot, go to their loading dock and go Dumpster diving.  Look for the steel bands that they use to hold heavy pallets together, 1/2 inch and 1 inch bands.  Just right for scale or brigintines, you will need a tape cutter, a grinder and a drill press.  Or you can use tin snips, a file, hammer and punch and a drill.  But that is going to take a really long time.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #4 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 6:51pm

Bill Skinner wrote on Mar 27th, 2013 at 11:28am:
Go to Lowes or Home Depot, go to their loading dock and go Dumpster diving.  Look for the steel bands that they use to hold heavy pallets together, 1/2 inch and 1 inch bands.  Just right for scale or brigintines, you will need a tape cutter, a grinder and a drill press.  Or you can use tin snips, a file, hammer and punch and a drill.  But that is going to take a really long time.

Tin snips:)

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #5 - Mar 29th, 2013 at 8:15am

Topic added to the PW's index.
Kid, that brigandine looks super cool! I have pictures of some steel plates dating 13th Century still linked each other with their leather strings, they're from Mongolia I think, tell me if you need them.
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Reply #6 - Apr 3rd, 2013 at 7:58am

After you posted your progress on facebook my girlfriend is now interested in making a brigandine now.

Thanks kid Cheesy

Am I the only one who finds it slightly amusing that people are debating the merits of riot shields against zombies in a totally normal manner?     I do love this forum. -Morphy

IP Logged

Kjev

Limits exist only in your
mind

Reply #7 - Apr 14th, 2013 at 8:29pm

Cool. I like the idea of using a packing blanket! Where did you find the information on the pattern you used?

K'Jev  Cool
"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter"--Yoda

https://www.facebook.com/StormsForge
WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

Sons of benjamin
Descens

Reply #8 - Apr 15th, 2013 at 1:00am

lol excuse me for my ignorance, but I thought for a moment when I read the title of this thread that you were building a Brigantine.... not quite a brigantine, but still impressive (brigantine as in a type of sailing ship).  lol

Judges 20:16 "Out of all this people there were seven hundred chosen men left handed.  Every one of these was a slinger of stones to a hairbreadth and would not miss."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar)