Send Topic Print
Brigandine Progress (Read 3676 times)
xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Brigandine Progress
Mar 25th, 2013 at 1:43am

Well it's been nearly a year (around 8 months of actual work), but here's my brigandine so far. I'm mostly working on it whenever I get more than a weekend of break. It was technically due a month or so ago, but I'm allowed to keep working on it until april or may something (hmm I should probably check on that deadline- not a biggy, I intend to finish in a few more days)

Here's a background on brigandine armor: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brigandine

Background on my project: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1336450954/0

here are all the plates, cut out. N.B. I'm missing a few plates on the shoulder and stuff, I'm going to make those after I rivet everything down so I can fit everything better.

and here's how much I have completed. My riveting and planning skills are a little sux0rz, so they're pretty uneven. Also, it took me until my 50th rivet or so to consistently get the rivet to look round and symmetrical, instead of being a lopsided lump of aluminum.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Re: Brigandine Progress
Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2013 at 2:17am

Very cool. I have never tried making somethign that complex. I made a scale armour vest 2 years ago. I have pics. At least of me in it.....
Maybe i can upload them. Venitian blinds make surprisingly good fake armour for a school project.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #2 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 12:07am

Man that's gonna be one sweeeet lookin' brig Grin

I've always wanted to make one (same design and layout of plates as yours, actually), but I never got around to it, due to the cost of materials to make one that's actually functional

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 11:28am

Go to Lowes or Home Depot, go to their loading dock and go Dumpster diving.  Look for the steel bands that they use to hold heavy pallets together, 1/2 inch and 1 inch bands.  Just right for scale or brigintines, you will need a tape cutter, a grinder and a drill press.  Or you can use tin snips, a file, hammer and punch and a drill.  But that is going to take a really long time.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #4 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 6:51pm

Bill Skinner wrote on Mar 27th, 2013 at 11:28am:
Go to Lowes or Home Depot, go to their loading dock and go Dumpster diving.  Look for the steel bands that they use to hold heavy pallets together, 1/2 inch and 1 inch bands.  Just right for scale or brigintines, you will need a tape cutter, a grinder and a drill press.  Or you can use tin snips, a file, hammer and punch and a drill.  But that is going to take a really long time.

Tin snips:)

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #5 - Mar 29th, 2013 at 8:15am

Topic added to the PW's index.
Kid, that brigandine looks super cool! I have pictures of some steel plates dating 13th Century still linked each other with their leather strings, they're from Mongolia I think, tell me if you need them.
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Reply #6 - Apr 3rd, 2013 at 7:58am

After you posted your progress on facebook my girlfriend is now interested in making a brigandine now.

Thanks kid Cheesy

Am I the only one who finds it slightly amusing that people are debating the merits of riot shields against zombies in a totally normal manner?     I do love this forum. -Morphy

IP Logged

Kjev

Limits exist only in your
mind

Reply #7 - Apr 14th, 2013 at 8:29pm

Cool. I like the idea of using a packing blanket! Where did you find the information on the pattern you used?

K'Jev  Cool
"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter"--Yoda

https://www.facebook.com/StormsForge
WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

Sons of benjamin
Descens

Reply #8 - Apr 15th, 2013 at 1:00am

lol excuse me for my ignorance, but I thought for a moment when I read the title of this thread that you were building a Brigantine.... not quite a brigantine, but still impressive (brigantine as in a type of sailing ship).  lol

Judges 20:16 "Out of all this people there were seven hundred chosen men left handed.  Every one of these was a slinger of stones to a hairbreadth and would not miss."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Chris, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus)