Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Poll Poll
Question: Standardize Sling Length?  Or not?

No Restrictions    
  42 (95.5%)
Standardize Sling Length    
  2 (4.5%)

Total votes: 44
« Last Modified by: LightSlinger on: Mar 18th, 2013 at 4:24am »

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The Accuracy Commitee: Sling Length Standard? (Read 13324 times)
LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
The Accuracy Commitee: Sling Length Standard?
Mar 18th, 2013 at 4:20am

Okay, here's the next in the series..

Do we want to standardize Sling Lengths, or no?

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Re: The Accuracy Commitee: Sling Length Standard?
Reply #1 - Mar 18th, 2013 at 11:08am

Any length consistent with participant or spectator safety ... may need to be a judgment call
depending on the slingers proficiency.  ... ie no pirouette with a 10 foot sling by a noob

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Mar 18th, 2013 at 1:19pm

Pretty much what Steven said, otherwise, no.  Everyone is different, let them use the sling that they feel most comfortable with.

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #3 - Mar 18th, 2013 at 2:28pm

What Steven said

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Mar 18th, 2013 at 2:31pm

Yeah, Most people in a competetion will quickly lean towards what works best, probably slings between 20" and 35" but there's no reason to restrict sling length. Though I do think sling length should be mentioned 'for the record' when accuracy merits are done so others can learn from that.

I've used slings sub 10" and they are really no more accurate than my 20" slings. They are just much weaker and make it easier to throw out your shoulder.  Smiley

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #5 - Mar 18th, 2013 at 7:22pm

What dan said.BUT- We should put restrictions on it.... somewhat. like no longer that 90" and no shorter than 2 inches....
-Squirrel
Mainly the restrictions will be for spectator safety.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Mick
Descens

May your stone always
be well buried.

Brisbane/Redcliffe
Reply #6 - Mar 18th, 2013 at 9:51pm

If it can be safely used in a spectator sport then, No. Each individual will have a different length that is comfortable for them, but as was mentioned, I think sling length used should be mentioned in any written record.

Mick

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #7 - Mar 19th, 2013 at 1:40am

Yep I agree.  I think that for the most part I think we can all agree that SOME restrictions must apply if only for the safety of spectators and other competitors.  We would just be making the "Standard" very loose.

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

BPBrooks52
Tiro

Ranged landscaping

Ontario, Canada
Reply #8 - Mar 20th, 2013 at 11:18pm

I voted for standardization, but not in the direct sense of "Every sling needs to be Xcm"
I think multiple categories depending on sling length would make sense

For example, in archery, there's a "Hunting compound" "Open compound" and "Traditional" category (in my area, anyway)
This is in place to prevent people with a distinct mechanical advantage from competing with other people who use their stick and string. Even if I've seen a traditional archer out-shoot an open compound archer, I still think this system works is better than an all out free for all system.

A few extra inches on a sling isn't as much of an advantage as you can get with stabilization and cams on a bow, but it may still make divisions justifiable.

I took a sling to prom, it went with the suit Smiley

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #9 - Mar 21st, 2013 at 1:52am

BPBrooks52 wrote on Mar 20th, 2013 at 11:18pm:
I voted for standardization, but not in the direct sense of "Every sling needs to be Xcm"
I think multiple categories depending on sling length would make sense

For example, in archery, there's a "Hunting compound" "Open compound" and "Traditional" category (in my area, anyway)
This is in place to prevent people with a distinct mechanical advantage from competing with other people who use their stick and string. Even if I've seen a traditional archer out-shoot an open compound archer, I still think this system works is better than an all out free for all system.

A few extra inches on a sling isn't as much of an advantage as you can get with stabilization and cams on a bow, but it may still make divisions justifiable.

Actually, the extra length is more likely to make a slinger less accurate anyway.  Standardization would probably need to be more of a "miminum length" thing.  Distance Competitions is where it would be the other way around..

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - Mar 21st, 2013 at 11:49am

recently discovered that the most accurate sling is the one you use everyday.

For the hillfort experiment I made up a 2 foot 'target' sling.
I was crap with it. went back to my everyday cap paul 32 inch sling - massive improvement in accuracy.

It's what you're used to.

I'd say a maximum length of 60 inches folded.
But it's unlikely anyone would ever seriously try target shooting with a lsing that long. Well larry bray did, but he's pretty exceptional Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #11 - Mar 23rd, 2013 at 12:56pm

As far as accuracy goes, length matters in relation to stone weight, but otherwise it's all relative. 

No standard length please.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #12 - Apr 1st, 2013 at 2:27am

NO STANDARD
yep,a slinger is most accurate with the sling he uses the most.

At the first International sling comp in Mallorca, i got in trouble with their sling length limitation because they allow a max 1m sling,and i'm used to 1.1m (43"). So i had to switch for the 70cm (27")sling,which i RARELY used so my weak accuracy got even worse during the comp.
A max length limitation should be put in front just to avoid the 10 feet sling noob pirouette,spectators duck syndrome.
50-60 inches would be plenty enough to fit 99.9% of all prefered sling lengths,while having a sane limit mostly for safety reasons.

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

birol
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Budapest, Hungary
Reply #13 - Aug 24th, 2013 at 7:32pm

I think we should only recommend a reasonable length interval that fits most people. For safety reasons I think a net would suffice as in hammer throw.

laszlo.biro.5243  
IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #14 - Aug 27th, 2013 at 1:29am

Good idea birol. Recommending doesn't hurt anyone,and might discourage the 10 foot sling pirouette-ers.(if not,they are prohibited anyways)  And maybe a safety net,but watching true a net spoils the fun. But a slinger who sometimes is slinging backwards (where the spectators should be) is not ripe yet for a comp. Maybe a qualification test with 3-5 tennis balls could sort out the noob slingers with a rush to compete.

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: LightSlinger, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Rat Man)