Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Slo-mo video of rifle spin (Read 3036 times)
David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Slo-mo video of rifle spin
Mar 17th, 2013 at 2:49pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TDvGpgY4Qo

This is C_A in September last year. It clearly shows the rifle spin on a marked ball and where it comes from. You can increase the video quality to 480p for more detail.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Slo-mo video of rifle spin
Reply #1 - Mar 17th, 2013 at 2:59pm

neat Thumbs Up
Bloody good technique there as well  Wink You can clearly see the power generated by waist rotation and up through the back leg.
I find that with a decent weight missile, it's a pretty powerful style.
If you slow the initial rotation down ever so slightly so the missile drops as it comes round you can really reach back and pull into the throw.
Also if you pull the throw across your body, with slightly later release, you can get the ball to spin in the opposite direction.

Any shots of the little rugby ball ?

That was that braided sling of yours as well. Probably the only throw of the day that didn't go high  Grin

I found the bloody cestrospondon - damn thing is still in the back of the car lol
Exactly where we were looking too - weird.
It just wants to stay here whistle

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #2 - Mar 17th, 2013 at 3:22pm

The rugby ball never came out straight unfortunately, I suspect it is too big to release cleanly. It always ends up with a wobble, probably from the release cord pulling on the tail end.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Mar 17th, 2013 at 4:51pm

Very Cool man. We can always use more slo mo slinging vids!

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

eaglewarrior
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Mar 18th, 2013 at 11:42am

Thanks for the video! I will definitely have to try that out. The Greek style is one of my favorites and I have been struggling to try to get a technique down to increase the power of my throw.

Rediscovering the skills of our ancestors... One day at a time!

IP Logged

Zamorskym
Tiro

Slinging concrete!

Czech Republic, Mělník county
Reply #5 - Mar 22nd, 2013 at 8:29am

Very nice video Smiley The rifling is nicely visible.
When I saw this, a thought came to my mind. Could you shoot a video, when your hig speed camera is taking pictures of, say , one meter area and the missile ( clay or concrete glande with one side blackenned) is slung in such direction that it would be filmed from the right angle. This should show the glande flying tip forward and rifling and give us a possibility to count the revolutions on certain distance and determine the RPM according to its velocity. I assume it to be in hundreds per minute.

I know that such a video is demanding but worthy, giving us such precious data. But it would probably need 600+ frames/s. (maybe 1200)

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Mar 22nd, 2013 at 11:45am

Nice video, David and c_a.

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #7 - Mar 22nd, 2013 at 12:37pm

For Zamorskym:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJjXXnDSB4s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvidIcGUXkQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1JPTA5TaHM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDTO1VYoMXw

These are all at 300 frames/sec, 10 x slowdown. The last one is very easy to see because the pouch orientation is wrong (helicopter style makes this very difficult to get right)

IP Logged

Zamorskym
Tiro

Slinging concrete!

Czech Republic, Mělník county
Reply #8 - Mar 23rd, 2013 at 11:04pm

I know these nice videos. But i meant something like this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfDoQwIAaXg
The bullet in detail, flying by (or hitting a target), viewed from side with two halves black and white, so the rifling could be visible. I don´t know, whether your camera is capable of such shooting (I found somewhere  1200 f/s ?). But it is probably very difficult to make. I do not know.

IP Logged

HaifischKuchen
Descens

Slinging Stones!

Reply #9 - Apr 8th, 2013 at 2:52am

Zamorskym wrote on Mar 23rd, 2013 at 11:04pm:
I know these nice videos. But i meant something like this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfDoQwIAaXg
The bullet in detail, flying by (or hitting a target), viewed from side with two halves black and white, so the rifling could be visible. I don´t know, whether your camera is capable of such shooting (I found somewhere  1200 f/s ?). But it is probably very difficult to make. I do not know.

I really want to make a video like this, but access to a high-speed camera is difficult and incredibly expensive.  Even renting one is well over a grand.  If I could borrow one for just one day, I would destroy so much stuff and my sling arm would be dead for a week! Grin  Right now I have a camera that can only achieve 60fps, but I use an editing program to slow it down and blend frames.  I am looking at buying a camera that does 120fps next.
David's video is excellent for showing rifling on that ball!  The tape or whatever it is is really visible and works really well!  I have an idea for a video and would like to show the rifling on a stone in flight as part of it.  I think it would add to the awesomeness!  Is painting a stone half white and half black the best method for showing rifling on camera?  I would just like to know before painting up a bunch of stones.

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #10 - Apr 8th, 2013 at 5:54am

Mine were half yellow and half black. I would probably go with blaze orange rather than yellow because it shows up really well on camera.

My camera is the Casio EX F1 and I usually use the 300 fps settings.

IP Logged

HaifischKuchen
Descens

Slinging Stones!

Reply #11 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 4:42am

Cool thanks!  I just so happen to have a can of neon orange marking paint laying around, so that should work perfectly!  I will just have to get some black paint.

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #12 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 6:50am

To show what is possible with a *really* good camera, have a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7xnKpnp9u0

Jlasud in action filmed on a borrowed Sony AX2000. The resolution on that is superb.

One other tip: you need excellent light for high speed filming otherwise it come out very dim and dull. Direct sunlight at midday is pretty much a requirement. Arrange your shooting so that the sun is behind the cameraman. Use bright white braided slings in preference to olive green paracord which is basically invisible.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Kick, vetryan15, Chris, joe_meadmaker)