Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Moog, Traumatologie (Read 6534 times)
Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Moog, Traumatologie
Reply #15 - Mar 20th, 2013 at 12:39pm

Did the Romans get picked apart with distance fire?  And then charge out of desperation?  I've read the English translation, but it was a long time ago and while I vaguely remember that part, I am drawing a blank as far as details.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #16 - Mar 20th, 2013 at 2:04pm

I think we should also remember that not every skeleton has been analyzed, so some sling related wounds may have passed unnoticed...
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #17 - Mar 20th, 2013 at 5:09pm

Bill Skinner wrote on Mar 20th, 2013 at 12:39pm:
Did the Romans get picked apart with distance fire?  And then charge out of desperation?  I've read the English translation, but it was a long time ago and while I vaguely remember that part, I am drawing a blank as far as details.  

After the loss of their cavalry, they were first pinned in the valley where they formed an orbis (square or maybe circular formation), probably pestered by occasional missiles.

Their attempt to break the siege by sending out cohorts who attacked the Eburones failed miserably and opened the flanks of the fighting units to lateral shots which killed a lot of them and left one of their two legates, Cotta, wounded in the mouth (which probably implies he was not able to give orders anymore).

The other general, Sabinus, entered into negotiations with the Eburone chief, Ambiorix, went out of the orbis with the higher ranking officers in order to come to terms with the Barbarians and was slaughtered (Some savages are less noble than others, apparently).

The army, having lost its commanders and a considerable number of soldiers after at least 8 hours of desperate fighting, probably tired, hungry and demoralized, now was an easy target for the enemy. The Eburones charged down the hills and shot/cut/hacked the Romans to pieces. Only few managed to escape into the forest.

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Chris)