Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Re: Various bullets information from persee.fr (Read 12160 times)
Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Kit from New Caledonia, including slingstone bag
Reply #15 - Mar 14th, 2013 at 3:46pm

http://www.persee.fr/web/revues/home/prescript/article/bmsap_0301-8644_1868_num_...

In 1868, the anthropological society of Paris received a gift of stuff from New Caledonia (Pacific islands inhabited by the Kanaks). P. 451: there is a bag for slingstones made out of "bark thread" (I assume this means woven out of strips of bark ?), and 4 slingstones (steatite and wernerite); also a "small thong made of niaouli bark, used to throw darts like the Spartan javelins"-- in other words, an amentum or detachable javelin strap made of bark.

-- of interest here, because it's a clear example of sling pouch (and also for the amentum: I know people here love them some amentum)

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Re: Various bullets information from persee.fr
Reply #16 - Mar 20th, 2013 at 9:11pm

Mauro-- perhaps you are concentrating my various posts on historical topics in one thread for space reasons. But if so, the specific heading, and information, gets lost in a single massive thread: this does not help a historical researcher who is scanning a pageful of topics. At least, the topic should be "bullets, etc". But it's a shame: for instance, the information about C17th urban slinging in France (with two locales, Paris and Poitiers), is now lost in a long thread: if it gets several pages, the info is only retrievable by searches, and not reachable by browsing. This is a real reduction in functionality. I speak as a professional researcher (so I deal with issues of searching and serendipity), and a writer (so I deal with issues of keeping "paragraphs", namely information together in coherent clumps).

Right now, this thread collects info on Celtic clay bullets, Carthaginian clay bullets, Celtic bullet moulds, Polynesian slingstone bags, and early-modern European slinging. Each one of these topics is of potential interest, and each one had, before being gathered in one thread, a starter post with a precise bit of information referred to and clearly labelled.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #17 - Mar 20th, 2013 at 9:52pm

Hopefully, this is just a temporary solution - C_A's working on the forum's software and we mods are working on saving virtual space by removing ancient and dusty threads  Smiley
We all already had some success and as long as we solve the problem (which won't take long I presume) stay assured that every post will have its well-deserved space  Wink
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #18 - Mar 21st, 2013 at 8:24am

Thanks for the reassurance !

And thanks for all the good work moderating.

IP Logged

woodssj

That lake isn't going
to fill itself, y'know...

'Round & about, Here and there
Reply #19 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 11:30pm

Hey! I've been away, but something to keep in mind with the French Slinging:  in 17th and 18th century France you need a license to have a gun, have to be of the higher classes to have a sword, and many other weapon restrictions. That helps explain the persistence of the sling in the face of Firearms. Legality is a pain in every century I've yet studied.

Confused Archaeologists are the best Archaeologists.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #20 - Apr 13th, 2015 at 7:12pm

Gallia, 1943, vol. 1.2, 83-124, excavations at Gergovia (!) for 1941 and 1942-- mentions "galets de basalte roulés, apportés des pentes du plateau, et qui ont pu servir de pierres de fronde", found in Hallstatt (i.e. C3rd BCE) context, and often in big "ammo dumps"-- i.e. the familiar Celtic slingstone heaps, as found on British sites.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus)