Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
"Sassassin" Sassafras Self Bow! (Read 9353 times)
Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

"Sassassin" Sassafras Self Bow!
Feb 28th, 2013 at 2:54pm

Some of you might have known that I dabble in bow making, here's my latest Bow.

Instead of posting all the pics again I'm just going to post a link to Primitive Archer. My username on there is Christian Soldier, and that's my bow.  Smiley

Specs are given in the link. The pics are large but you should be able to view the full picture no problem if you lower the zoom on your screen to 75%.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,38158.0.html

Let me know if you have any questions.  Smiley

Dan

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Re: "Sassassin" Sassafras Self Bow!
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2013 at 3:10pm

The grain pattern is gorgeous. At first glance the nock overlays looked off, but then I realized there was a shadow from I blade of grass making it look odd and that the nocks were fine. The knots and snakes look like they were pretty challenging.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2013 at 4:32pm

Masiakasaurus wrote on Feb 28th, 2013 at 3:10pm:
The grain pattern is gorgeous. At first glance the nock overlays looked off, but then I realized there was a shadow from I blade of grass making it look odd and that the nocks were fine. The knots and snakes look like they were pretty challenging.

I've used the same stain on hickory but the grain isn't near as contrasting, I'm pretty happy with it.

I really took my time when working on the back and sides of the bow. Sass has a reputation for being weak in tension so I wanted to keep it as wide as possible and ensure that I didn't cut through any rings on the back. But still a pretty quick bow build, about 2 months from tree to stave. I had a good bit of time inside when it was really cold and I can work over a trash bag and get all the fine work done. 

Sass was actually a nice change from hickory. Much easier to debark, much lighter, and whittles easier than hickory.
As long as you keep it wide or make a long ELB, it'll make a nice bow.  Smiley

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #3 - Mar 1st, 2013 at 6:07am

Very nice work.

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #4 - Mar 1st, 2013 at 9:17am

I share the opinions of the guys on the forum... Nice work!  I can't recall the term for these sorts of bows...Taking a less-than-optimal piece of wood and working it into a good bow..
Some of those really wild Osage numbers you see with the holes and knots and pins all cleverly worked in.

Nice job of tillering as well.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #5 - Mar 1st, 2013 at 11:59am

Topic added to the PW's index.
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #6 - Mar 1st, 2013 at 4:09pm

Very nice, I recall in the bowyer's bible they mentioned that Sassafrass was a releative of mulberry, which is a great bow wood. Dan, is there a possibility of you making me a #45ish bow and trading something for it? I would love to have a bow other than my current longbow of oak(only 40 pounds) and my fiberglass recurve... I want something primitive. Maybe that hickory bowstave is almost done drying.
Thanks,
-Squirrel

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Mar 1st, 2013 at 4:26pm

Bikewer, I think you are reffering to Chracter Bows. This bow has some character, but by far the most challenging characteristic was making a self from a tension weak wood.

I haven't made a bow from Mulberry, but if you plan on making a Sass bow, either make it really long or keep it moderately long and wide, like I did.   Smiley

I would have gone for a more daring design but this was taken from a small tree so it had a pretty high crown, and it was my first time with Sass. I've got a large Sass tree that I'll probably get a bunch of ELBs and other bows from in the future.

If I sold a self bow It'd be like $200 to $300. With all the time invested, If I charged much less, well, lets just say I'd make more per hour polishing shoes.  Smiley

I've got a bunch of semi processed Hickory that I'll sell you. Just let me know.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #8 - Mar 1st, 2013 at 8:37pm

FOr the millionth time, I desperatly wish I had some $$$
anyway, Trade? I can now make stone tools, and stone arrowheads from slate. Also small size steel, and spearheads.
It would have to be a lot of arrowheads. Maybe some BL shafts? How bout some river cane?
I will try to cover your shipping cost though.
do you have a 65 inch piece? that is my usual length, as I mostly prefer a 40 pound ish bow but want a #45.
SOrry for being soo buggy... But I am very short on cash most of the time. I have probably have more $$ in giftcards than cash(like $5-6 in cash now) and around $50 in Willis Music GC's.... Its funny.
Ill Pm you Dan!
-Squirrel

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Mar 1st, 2013 at 9:38pm

Great bow, I really like the contrasting grain. 

I have made a muberry bow, I don't know if it is Red or White Mulberry, I suspect White.  It is a yellowish wood that is turning darker as it ages.  It is very light and seems to be porous but I can't tell without weighing, soaking and reweighing, and that's not going to happen.  I found a tree today at the river, I suspect it is also Mulberry, when the river goes down some, I'll haul some out and give it a try.

My bow is really long, 70 inches and light, 40 pounds at 28, it sort of lobs an arrow.  I made it for archery demonstrations, I don't have to worry about some idiot overdrawing it when my back is turned and I may have to shoot several hundred arrows in one day...

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #10 - Mar 2nd, 2013 at 9:20am

"Character".... That's the word I was looking for.   Getting old is Hell... I swear, if it wasn't for Google I wouldn't remember anything.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #11 - Mar 2nd, 2013 at 12:55pm

LOL. Bill, I do believe you are talking about White mullberry, it has a large sapwood. Other mullberries typically have a large dark heartwood like Black Locust, and I do love google, for looking up random terms, but watch it when you google primitive terms, it will come up with some not very good results.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Mar 2nd, 2013 at 8:37pm

The best bow woods in the US are:
1.  Osage

2.  Black Locust

3.  Red Mulberry

4.  Pacific Yew

'Slinger, if you have acess to Black Locust, you acess to the second best bow wood in North America.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #13 - Mar 2nd, 2013 at 10:14pm

Dude, BL is my wood. I love the stuff. I have access to TONS of it. I just hate what it does to tools.
And I have an issue- i suck at making a bow out of anything but board staves. I have to haul the wood about 3-4 miles on bike, depending on whether I go for off-road(shorter, muddier, more diffucult, but faster) or on-road(much easier, safer, slower). I am gonna make a bow out of it once I can find a good, clear piece. not too hard you would think.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #14 - Mar 2nd, 2013 at 10:22pm

squirrelslinger wrote on Mar 2nd, 2013 at 10:14pm:
Dude, BL is my wood. I love the stuff. I have access to TONS of it.

Can you post it? Might help alleviate some of your money troubles.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man)