Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Leather sling pouches from York, UK. (Read 24956 times)
squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Re: Leather sling pouches from York, UK.
Reply #45 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 3:35pm

Aussie pouches are amazing, but the knots at the end holding cords on...
He sent me 2- I made one with knots at pouch, one with loops!
I used the one with loops more and like it.
Thanks agian Aussie!

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #46 - Mar 13th, 2013 at 4:07pm

Oddly enough, I've never had a problem with whipping/knots fumbling shots. My problems with erratic release only really occur with cupped pouches. Lightly-cupped pouches are responsive enough, but medium to deep cups just end up causing inconsistent hangups Tongue

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

lakeslinger

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #47 - Apr 4th, 2013 at 5:37am

David Morningstar wrote on Mar 10th, 2013 at 3:28pm:
... I found that the pouch did have a slight tendency to slide down and bunch up at the release end. It was easy to slide it back, but next time I would use two cords per side exactly as Lakeslinger describes.

The benefit of the two twisted strands is, that the cords are lighter. So I wanted to give a try and minimize the problem of the sliding pouch. The result is seen on the picture below. The outer parts of the pouch are slightly twisted inwards on the retention end or outwards on the release end, respectively. That´s o.k., cause it helps to keep the ammo in its place without interfering in the release moment. I tried the sling today morning. It performs very good, releases perfectly and is suitable for smaller stones as I use normally (nice side effect, cause the smaller ones are easier to find).

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #48 - Apr 4th, 2013 at 3:47pm

Very nice again!

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #49 - Apr 6th, 2013 at 9:18am

Another Yorkie, this time with four cords running two down each side. I have used cheap cotton string here and I dont know how much wear it will take before it gives up. With jute I would have no such concerns.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #50 - Jun 16th, 2019 at 3:29am

Resurrecting a very old thread but I thought it was better to reuse and recycle than start a new one Cheesy Later this year we are hoping to attend an Iron Age festival. Lots of reenactors and activities and such. I already have a heavy cloak with a penannular brooch and I'm not too bad at nålbinding, but I thought I had to make some effort to represent slinging. This thread proved to be great inspiration and, though my sling is just inspired and not taken directly from the finds, I think I did pretty ok considering I only spent an evening making it.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #51 - Jun 16th, 2019 at 8:19pm

I like your take on the design.  And the idea of including a sling with your outfitting, very cool!

Also thanks for the topic resurrection.  Very interesting to see the images and read through it.

IP Logged

Kindor
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

western oregon
Reply #52 - Jun 18th, 2019 at 12:32am

It is a very good looking sling kick, interesting thread too, thanks for bringing it back up.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #53 - Jun 19th, 2019 at 6:35pm

Thanks! This thread was just what I needed and it was nice to find sling designs I haven't seen before that actually have an historical basis.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #54 - Jul 1st, 2019 at 5:39am

I got to try out the sling a little while ago and one problem was the pouch slipping on the cords. Should have expected it really. For now I've tied knots in the cords but it might need stitching somehow. Not exactly sure how I would do that but might give it a try some time.
« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2020 at 6:25pm by Kick »  

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #55 - Jul 1st, 2019 at 11:09am

Kick wrote on Jul 1st, 2019 at 5:39am:
one problem was the pouch slipping on the cords.

I ran into the same issue with a pouch design I've recently started using.  The pouch looks kind of like an "X", and the arms wrap around the sides of a split pouch.  It was sliding around after each throw, so I attached it to the cords with contact cement.  Although I don't know if that would work with the sling you have because there's nothing to cover up the not-so-great looking contact cement areas.

I wonder if the pouch would hold in place if you looped the cord through each hold twice.  So each time you go through a hole, loop it back and go through the previous one again.  Does that make sense?

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #56 - Jul 2nd, 2019 at 5:42pm

I think I get what you mean. I think this style looks really nice and I'm sure I can get it to work it just needs fine tuning.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #57 - Jul 2nd, 2019 at 10:01pm

I gave what I was thinking a try.  And I'm glad I did, because it didn't work like I was picturing it in my mind.  It might still be worth a shot to see if it works for this style of sling.  Here's a picture of a sloppy test.

Here is how I did the stitch:

1. Down through hole 1
2. Up through hold 2
3. Down through hole 1
4. Up through hole 2
5. Down through hole 3
6. Up through hole 2
7. Down through hole 3
8. Up through hole 4.
9. Repeat.

You should see alternating segments of the cordage being doubled up.  Basically looping around each segment of leather, and the loop flips each time.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #58 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 9:37am

That does look good. I'll give that a go at some point Cheesy

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus)