Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Leather sling pouches from York, UK. (Read 24883 times)
Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Re: Leather sling pouches from York, UK.
Reply #30 - Mar 6th, 2013 at 11:21am

I can see them!
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #31 - Mar 6th, 2013 at 2:33pm

DM-- sorry to be thick, but could you explain what you did ? Is it one single strand, or two strands (one for each side ?) ?

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #32 - Mar 6th, 2013 at 3:57pm

Two strands, one for each side which meet up at the final hole at each end and become a 2-ply reverse-twisted cord.

As it turned out, the number of holes I had punched (19 on each side, including the end ones) meant that the ends of the pouch 'stitching' were not the same. If I started by going down into the first hole then I finished by coming down out of the last hole. I wanted to be coming up out of the last hole so that the two ends would look the same.

I dealt with this by doing the two sides 180 degrees out of phase. If the left side was up-down-up-down then the right side was down-up-down-up. This made the ends the same but the sides were out of step. I can live with that. If this makes no sense to you, dont worry. It bent my brain a bit and I had it there in front of me.

The moral of the story is, there is a difference between using an even or odd number of holes.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #33 - Mar 6th, 2013 at 4:04pm

David, this's the same I've made with my sling, except for bigger size and making 13 holes instead of 19.
Plus my pouch has some extra leather in the ends which I rolled around the string and fixed with tape.
Have you used your sling?
I think the cord on the perimeter increases accuracy, but I really don't know how. Perhpas it limits the movement of the stone?
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #34 - Mar 6th, 2013 at 4:54pm

One possible factor is that it is bump-free on the end of the pouch. When the cords are tied onto the pouch there is always a rigid bump at that point and this could affect how the stone comes out of the pouch.

I am a big fan of pouches that have two features:

1. The tension is taken around the edges of the pouch and not across the centreline of the pouch. This gives a soft centre with very stable seating of the stone in the pouch.

2. A smooth flexible transition from pouch to cord with no bumps or stiff sections. I no longer use whipping to protect the release cord from wear for this reason.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #35 - Mar 6th, 2013 at 7:02pm

Thanks.

When braiding, I usually put a knot to mark off both ends of the pouch-- resulting in a bump. Perhaps that affects shooting ?

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #36 - Mar 7th, 2013 at 8:37am

I reckon so. Here is some directly observable evidence of the release cord deflecting a shot, compared to the ideal release:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJjFK68mn0w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvidIcGUXkQ

This is another reason to like a rifled style. The cords slip away down each side of the projectile with minimal interference.

IP Logged

lakeslinger

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #37 - Mar 8th, 2013 at 4:28am

David Morningstar wrote on Mar 6th, 2013 at 3:57pm:
Two strands, one for each side which meet up at the final hole at each end and become a 2-ply reverse-twisted cord.

As it turned out, the number of holes I had punched (19 on each side, including the end ones) meant that the ends of the pouch 'stitching' were not the same. If I started by going down into the first hole then I finished by coming down out of the last hole. I wanted to be coming up out of the last hole so that the two ends would look the same.

I dealt with this by doing the two sides 180 degrees out of phase. If the left side was up-down-up-down then the right side was down-up-down-up. This made the ends the same but the sides were out of step. I can live with that. If this makes no sense to you, dont worry. It bent my brain a bit and I had it there in front of me.

The moral of the story is, there is a difference between using an even or odd number of holes.

Very beautiful reproduction!
Based on this I started to make a “York-style“  sling that doesn`t follow exactly the shape and size of
the originals shown in the publication. It has also 19 holes on each side, but I´ve sewn the double
amount of strands in, i.e.  on each side one up-down-up-down an one down-up-down-up.  The length 
of the cords was chosen in a manner, that on each end of the pouch there are 3 long strands and one
shorter strand coming out, to start with a 4-strand braid and tapering to 3 strands. The leather I used
is very thin. I haven`t braided the cords yet, but I´m looking forward to try a sling that doesn`t lead to
a bump of ammo, as you wrote.
Until now I had no problems with whipping at the release cord. Usually I don`t tighten the protection
whipping, cause it has only to cover the cord, which so remains almost as flexible as without
whipping.  Some tight and (due to glue) hard whippings I use to attach the pouches e.g. in my
“hunting slings”, but surprisingly it`s them I use actually improving my accuracy. No feeled deflection.
In the past I made a sling, that was cut from one piece of leather  – no whipping or cord attachment
at all. The release was very bad, the leather tended to bend around the stone in the release moment. 
It improved after having added a straight whipping at the release end to make it stiffer. So
sometimes a stiff part on the release cord can also help. I think it depends on many factors like
length and position of whipping, pouch length and stiffness, that influence the physical wave that is
formed upon release. 

IP Logged

lakeslinger

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #38 - Mar 8th, 2013 at 4:37am

By the way (I forgot to write this before):

great videos as always! I like the slow-motion. It`s a big help to learn and improve techniques

and to eliminate errors.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #39 - Mar 8th, 2013 at 6:28am

That's not slo mo, he actually is that slow. I know, I've met him. Grin

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #40 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 3:28pm

You cheeky burger  Tongue

I used it for the Hod Hill experiment. I found that the pouch did have a slight tendency to slide down and bunch up at the release end. It was easy to slide it back, but next time I would use two cords per side exactly as Lakeslinger describes.

IP Logged

lakeslinger

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #41 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 5:13am

Finally I could take a picture of the sling I wrote about before. At the weekend I had the opportunity to test it.
Despite of its fragile appearance (0.5mm leather, 3-strand jute cords) the sling performed great, even with stones of chicken-egg size. And I have to admit that I was wrong about what I wrote before. Even if I never
felt a "bump" of the ammo with some of my heavier whipped slings, I saw the difference using the "York-sling". The first throws failed due to a slightly too early release. That was cause in the last 2 weeks I used exclusively "hunting slings" and so I became used to a delayed release.
But after some throws I learned to handle the difference and now I have the same accuracy as with all my other slings. What I like about it, too, that it`s a great EDC-sling. Folded it is small enough to stay even in a jeans-pocket, and it weights almost nothing.
Obviously I had to make another one (the unfinished sling on the bottom).

IP Logged

lakeslinger

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #42 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 5:19am

This morning during breakfast I finished the other sling and took a picture of it. Maybe this afternoon I can try it. It`s smaller than the first one but made of slightly thicker leather.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #43 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 11:00am

I can confirm the fact that once david got dialled in he was extremely accurate.

Even after climbing up and down two giant ditches while completely and absolutely knackered Thumbs Up

Mind you I thought we were going to lose him after the first climb to the hillfort itself, that was hard work. Wink

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #44 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 12:54pm

Will that one also sling lead? Some slings seem to sling some things better than others, a split pouch really shines when you are throwing larger, different sized rocks, not so good with smaller lead glandes.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Chris, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark)