Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to Sling: Backhand Style (Video Tutorial) (Read 4110 times)
Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
How to Sling: Backhand Style (Video Tutorial)
Feb 24th, 2013 at 7:07pm

Hello,

I have kicked off my series of slinging technique demonstrations/tutorials with the Backhand style throw!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2_A2uz9bCE

Not many people are familiar with the backhand style technique and there's not a great amount of videos displaying the technique. I hope this video will help new slingers learn the technique!

Does anyone favor this technique or use it frequently? Or have any experiences with it?

Thanks,

Nick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2_A2uz9bCE

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Re: How to Sling: Backhand Style (Video Tutorial)
Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2013 at 8:03pm

I have actually used that style when trying to chase a bull from my hayfield.  I didn't want to try any forward throws because they might have been to powerful and injured the bull but he was ignoring rocks lobbed near him.  I actually had to hit him to start him moving and this let me stay far enough away but still have enough force to reach him.  I could have tossed the rock by hand, but where's the fun in that.

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #2 - Feb 25th, 2013 at 12:40pm

I have toyed with it a little, but life is to short to practice this style enough to make it useful to me Cheesy.

IP Logged

Lugh-Lamhfada

A slinger is only as good
as his last stone

An Mhi, Ireland
Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2013 at 6:58pm

Youre a good slinger!

Ive never tried this style, but im going slinging tomorrow and im definitely going to try it. Can you get good accuracy with it?

"Andraste Basbochorbhan"- Andraste brings death to the wicked

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #4 - Feb 25th, 2013 at 7:04pm

for example: If you throw a frisbee sling, it works.

IP Logged

Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
Reply #5 - Feb 25th, 2013 at 9:17pm

Lugh-Lamhfada wrote on Feb 25th, 2013 at 6:58pm:
Youre a good slinger!

Ive never tried this style, but im going slinging tomorrow and im definitely going to try it. Can you get good accuracy with it?

Great, it's a good slinging style to have up your belt even if it doesn't appeal to you straight away. I can lob things in a general direction with the technique but I have never seen anyone try a target practice video with it, so I'm really not sure haha

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Feb 26th, 2013 at 8:58am

I tried this awhile ago around the first few months I started slinging, It worked alright but I wasn't too happy with it and it felt so 'wrong' that I was pretty sure I wasn't going anywhere with it.

I sometimes use it when bystanders are watching me slinging and ask "can you spin it the other way?".

Other than that, I prefer to stick with more rudimentary styles.

I'm pretty backhand came up before and we had an adement Ultimate Frisbee player who favored this style.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #7 - Feb 26th, 2013 at 9:32am

I've tried .... ammo goes in general direction, with limited power though I believe the power can be raised quite a bit by working on twisting my waist faster on the windup before the release

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Funditor
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #8 - Feb 27th, 2013 at 4:29am

Yep sure have!  

Recently, while playing sling golf at the park(and trying to show off for someone), I inadvisably used a sort of "helicopter to forward pirouette" technique and put a little too much into it.  Almost tore something in my elbow for my efforts.  That was about a month and a half ago and my elbow is still a little on the iffy side.  If I behave myself, and sling reasonably, my elbow doesn't bother me much.  

One day, about two weeks after the injury, we decided to go slinging at the school down the street...  Pain be darned!  Well, after about 15 minutes, the elbow was kind of yelling at me.  So it occurred to me to try this type of backhanded technique.

At first I was a little disgusted at the lack of power you can get from this technique.  So, I added something.  I’ll call it the “Half-Power Backhand” until a better name comes along.  Here is the procedure for it:

#1.   I stand with my off handed foot forward, left shoulder facing the target (the left in my case) and hold the sling in the same position you use for a greek sidearm.  Make sure that you are standing on the balls of your feet and that the majority of your body weight is on the leading leg.

#2.   Pivot backwards on the balls of your feet and turn your head in the direction of the turn in order to re-acquire the target.

#3.   When your right shoulder has passed a 90 degree rotation, step towards the target with your right foot, release the pouch, and pull the sling through the backhand motion.

#4.    Follow through.  If done correctly, your right foot will be forward and your projectile will be streaking with a substantial amount of power.

Now, to be fair, it is not super likely that you’re gonna get a lot of accuracy doing this, but, you sure can get a lot of power and it's quite a bit friendlier on your joints.  If I keep my elbow slightly bent during this whole technique, I feel almost no strain at all..

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, Kick, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker)