Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Tut Sling Pouch vs Balearic Pouch (Read 20480 times)
squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Re: Tut Sling Pouch vs Balearic Pouch
Reply #30 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 3:17pm

Oh, and Walter, it is easier to just weave the pouch together at middle, Ill take pics and explain soon.
-Squirrel
PS- I AM SQUIRRELSLINGER, NOT SQUIRRELHUNTER(although I have hunted squirrel with broken glass Wink)

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #31 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 5:33pm

S slinger, I've woven the ctr. Works good, but its not any easier. I called you S hunter? Sorry about that Undecided

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #32 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 6:36pm

I like the Balearic Sling much. She is very stable when shooting. However, one must understand how they individually adjusted up. Is the " letter " is too large, we often lose because stone. Or to shoot a dirty style

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #33 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 7:28pm

Dude, that thing is BEAUTIFUL!!!!
I love it- Prettiest sling I have seen in a while. How do you get that braid?
Anyway. Balarics are more picky...

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #34 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 7:46pm

It is woven of linen. it is not made ​​from raw fiber. The sling is made of max. 32 strings

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Mick
Descens

May your stone always
be well buried.

Brisbane/Redcliffe
Reply #35 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 8:41pm

Damn I want one...I'm gonna make one! 32 strings huh?! Might need to work up to it, after I let my fingers heal from the six strand I just made out of sisal rope. (pulled a rope apart to get the cordage)

Mick

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #36 - Feb 21st, 2013 at 1:27pm

Jaegoor wrote on Feb 20th, 2013 at 7:46pm:
It is woven of linen. it is not made ​​from raw fiber. The sling is made of max. 32 strings

How does a linen Balearic sling hold up to wear and tear compared to a sisal?
I've been wanting to try linen out for a while now, but I want to know if it's worth the shipping expenses Wink

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #37 - Feb 21st, 2013 at 3:41pm

Donnerschlag wrote on Feb 21st, 2013 at 1:27pm:

I've been wanting to try linen out for a while now, but I want to know if it's worth the shipping expenses Wink

I know the question, is directed towards Jaegoor, but I would think linen would wear a lot better than sisal. Linen is what a lot of guys use for their warbow strings (super strong bows with draw weights up to 150lbs) because its so tough and strong, but most bowyers wouldn't even think about using sisal for anything but super light weight (15lbs -) bows.

So using the bow string reasoning, its probably much better, but I have yet to actually try it.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

Portland, OR
Reply #38 - Feb 21st, 2013 at 4:11pm

Dan wrote on Feb 21st, 2013 at 3:41pm:
Donnerschlag wrote on Feb 21st, 2013 at 1:27pm:

I know the question, is directed towards Jaegoor, but I would think linen would wear a lot better than sisal. Linen is what a lot of guys use for their warbow strings (super strong bows with draw weights up to 150lbs) because its so tough and strong, but most bowyers wouldn't even think about using sisal for anything but super light weight (15lbs -) bows.

So using the bow string reasoning, its probably much better, but I have yet to actually try it.

Then again, tensile strength is different then resilience to abrasion. Otherwise paracord would be the de-facto God of all sling materials Wink

I see your point though. And I like it when people address questions like this, regardless of if it was directed at them or not. Either way, I get my answer. Haha

-Bob Ross

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #39 - Feb 21st, 2013 at 4:57pm

Yep.
If one cord of a sling can hold ~ 20pounds,it's plenty enough. Friction is what's killing our slings.

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #40 - Feb 21st, 2013 at 5:19pm

jlasud wrote on Feb 21st, 2013 at 4:57pm:
Yep.
If one cord of a sling can hold ~ 20pounds,it's plenty enough. Friction is what's killing our slings.

If you wrap it in leather, it lasts forever. ok, maybe not forever. but Close!
I like the style a lot. And  Donner, making slings from sisal is easy if you have thick skin. it is my main material. Jute is used for slings that I might end up giving away or trading because many people do not like sisal.

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

Portland, OR
Reply #41 - Feb 21st, 2013 at 5:31pm

squirrelslinger wrote on Feb 21st, 2013 at 5:19pm:
jlasud wrote on Feb 21st, 2013 at 4:57pm:
Yep.

If you wrap it in leather, it lasts forever. ok, maybe not forever. but Close!
I like the style a lot. And  Donner, making slings from sisal is easy if you have thick skin. it is my main material. Jute is used for slings that I might end up giving away or trading because many people do not like sisal.

I've no problem working with sisal, especially when I work with it wet. (Once it's broken in, a densely-braided sisal sling is surprisingly slinky. Wink )
I really love the feel of broken-in hemp, but not only is the smell... funky, but the release cord often disintegrates quickly until it's too short to use. Tongue
For now I just use nylon mason's twine for my workhorse sling/s; doesn't smell, is pretty durable, and never had a disintegration problem with it.

-Bob Ross

IP Logged

HuntsmanSling
Funditor

Sling Maker

Vancouver, WA
Reply #42 - Feb 21st, 2013 at 7:23pm

So Ive taken all of your guys advice and tried something different. First of all thank everyone for your comment and input. The wealth of knowledge and experience you guys have given is invaluable!

So I figured a giant tut has its advantage by being totally encompassing the rock with full support. However I like the versatility of the balearic pouch for holding different sizes of rocks. So I tried to achieve the qualities of both of the balearic and tut pouches. This is what I came up with based on the link okieslinger posted of a local artisan in the Balearic Islands.

Tell me what you guys think. About to test it out so ill reply back with feedback on how it performed.

"Discipline leads to self respect which leads to courage"

Huntsman Slings available on Etsy HERE
&
seen on Youtube HERE

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

Portland, OR
Reply #43 - Feb 21st, 2013 at 8:40pm

Wow! First time I've seen a Rockman and an Etruscan combined! Shocked
It came out very, very well. Daddy like

-Bob Ross

IP Logged

lakeslinger

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #44 - Feb 22nd, 2013 at 4:16am

@ Teg: Thanks for your advices. You made a really systematic error-searching list. Great work!
          I agree that split pouches throw faster and more "aggressive" than solid ones.
          In fact I prefer the split pouches, too, especially the peruvian style and rockman slings.
          When I wrote that I prefer the Tut over balearic slings I refered only to this two kinds of slings.
          My "problem" occurs only with the balearics I made. Maybe some leather attachment would make the
          split pouch a bit stiffer and less "round and twisty", cause I think that is the error. The size of the gap
          determines the ammo size, but as I tried every size of rocks, I could exclude this as a reason of my
          mistakes. Also if still not perfect in technique (I´m far away from being a professional slinger) I don`t
          loose stones due to edgy movement e.g. with flat leather pouches, that tend to sideways slipout of
          ammo.

@ sqirrelslinger: When I wrote about big stones I ment tennis ball up to 2 tennis ball size. They need quite a
                       lot of power to be thrown. I red the article in the advices and how to`s section of this page
                       and how somebody killed a cow with a honda manchega. So I wanted to try it (not to kill a
                       cow, but to sling the big stones).

@ walter: I tried the sewing method once with a jute over sisal rockman, cause the stones slipped out, but it
             didn`t help. I have another rockman with a big gap, that never lost a stone, also it was small enough
             to slip through, and it`s very soft / flexible.  But you´re right, the sewing can help a lot when you
             make the split too long. I made that several times with my earlier peruvians.

Again thanks a lot to all of you guys. It`s great how everyone here helps with experiences, ideas and advices.
After reading all this I really have to give the balearic slings another chance.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, vetryan15, Morphy, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Kick)