Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Tut Sling Pouch vs Balearic Pouch (Read 20283 times)
Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Tut Sling Pouch vs Balearic Pouch
Reply #15 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 8:50am

HuntsmanSling wrote on Feb 19th, 2013 at 5:56am:
@ Dan : those look really really nice. I really like the sisal and how it looks tough as nails but resembles if not looks exactly the same as those made and used on the Balearic Islands by the champs. I'm curious though how the release cord with your sisal models hold up to wear from the rocks rubbing when released. They don't look too frayed even though they don't have the leather protectant seen on the slings made in the Mediterranean. Is the sisal that tough or have they just not been used extensively yet? Also is there any maintenance needed for upkeep? Ie I've experimented with running Shea butter on my twine slings to add durability to exposure or use. Do you or have you tried something like that? I've had mixed results.. Thanks for sharing!

They do wear a bit on the release cord. Its littereally been thousands of shots but all I've got is a little fraying on the cords. Part of that's do to an overly extensive "lighter" treatment too. I've tried bow string wax but it didn't seem to do much.

Might as well just try to make another one and braid it tighter and/or add a longer leather reinforcement pouch.

The fraying would have been less if I used a tighter braid and made it a 7 or 9 strand like my next one will be.  Smiley

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #16 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 2:13pm

HuntsmanSling wrote on Feb 19th, 2013 at 5:56am:
@ Dan : those look really really nice. I really like the sisal and how it looks tough as nails but resembles if not looks exactly the same as those made and used on the Balearic Islands by the champs. I'm curious though how the release cord with your sisal models hold up to wear from the rocks rubbing when released. They don't look too frayed even though they don't have the leather protectant seen on the slings made in the Mediterranean. Is the sisal that tough or have they just not been used extensively yet? Also is there any maintenance needed for upkeep? Ie I've experimented with running Shea butter on my twine slings to add durability to exposure or use. Do you or have you tried something like that? I've had mixed results.. Thanks for sharing!

@ Donnerschlag: I do like the feel of throwing much heavier rocks which I guess, as you alluded to, is why I prefer the balearic sling type. I think I'm still going to try a giant tut sling and post the results, if nothing else but for posterity purposes. I'm also thinking of trying to make a balearic style, however instead of the two pouch sides, there will also be one shallower pouch of the same thickness in the center. I saw this on the link someone posted of a balearic craftsman selling them online. It was hard to see but there are several just like I describe on giant pile of regular balearic slings. Here is the link. Look at the main picture of a bunch of slings and you will notice several with a pouch with three separate sections of pouch.

Here: http://www.mallorcashop.net/slings/169-sling-honda-fona-schleuder-mallorca.html

Originally found by forum member okieslinger. Should be interesting to make Smiley

Also Donner I'm not familiar with the Lahun or Hubert styles. Can you point me in the right direction and/or post it in a reply. MUCH thanks!

Oops. Hubert is a member of this forum, not a style of sling. Sorry if I gave that impression. Wink

Here's the Lahun sling: http://slinging.org/wiki/index.php?title=Famous_Historical_Slings
Aside from having a more diamond-shaped pouch, there seems to be little to no cupping in the pouch vs a Tut sling. I was comparing the lack of cup in Hubert's Tut sling to that of a Lahun sling  Wink

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

blackfur2
Descens

May your rocks always
roll................

Scotland
Reply #17 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 8:49pm

HuntsmanSling wrote on Feb 17th, 2013 at 9:49pm:
        The tut sling looks really cool from the fine specimen displayed by Blackfur. I have tons of experience using the Balearic sling but zero experience with with the tut sling. My question is ; What are the pros and cons from someone that has used a tut sling in terms of holding different sizes of rocks compared to the balaeric sling pouch? Also in terms of release of the stone? .. And any other differences anyone has noticed? I'd really like to know as I'm tempted to start making some tut slings for my customers as the detail involved is impressive, especially to my average customer. Any feedback from experienced people who've thrown with both would be greatly valued !

Thanks for your nice comments about my sling Smiley. To ancer your question I would say the tut is better at holding meny diffrent size ammo. I mainly use my nice tut for tennis balls as I do not wont to reck it with stones it holds any size from golf balls to base balls nicely I would say better than a Balaeric as a tut can hold a wet soild rubber ball and not slip out as it happends to me a lot with balaeric slings. The release is beter with a Balaeric I feel. it is much sharper than a tut as in quicker with tuts it feels like they release a few Milliseconds after but that just from little use of a Balaeric I received from timman in the Xmas sith, if your going to make a tut I would try useing about 25 raps with the sport cord that should hold a tennis ball nicely. But once you get to the middle of the weaving have 3 weaves and not 2 like the tutorial on here. And have a few practices first as they are hard to get right first try my nice one was my 8th tut ever made and the ones before that are a mess lol,

I hope this ancers your question and that you can understand my crap grammar and spelling am good at doing and makeing things not typing things lol , if you don't let me no and will try explan it better

Cheers

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #18 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 9:34pm

You need to stop apologizing for your grammar and spelling, it's fine. I can understand you perfectly. Smiley

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #19 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 9:54pm

Truely.. Some people on this forum have FAR worse grammer and spelling.
Anyway- lets list pros and cons of the Tut VS balaric pouches

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

HuntsmanSling
Funditor

Sling Maker

Vancouver, WA
Reply #20 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 9:58pm

No blackfur your grammar is just fine man. I will be referring to your post on wraps when I start my tut sling. Right now I'm just finishing squirrelhunters sling now and once i finish his ill start working on my first tut. Thanks very much for your advice black fur. If you can think of any other points of advice pls post them here! Thanks again.

- Matt

"Discipline leads to self respect which leads to courage"

Huntsman Slings available on Etsy HERE
&
seen on Youtube HERE

IP Logged

ghost0311-8541

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #21 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 10:36pm

Lol i be that person

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #22 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 1:01am

ghost0311-8541 wrote on Feb 19th, 2013 at 10:36pm:
Lol i be that person

Lol nope. There's more than one, which happens. I've found that punctuation and spelling don't have much to do with manners, intelligence, or slinging skill. Because of that, I don't say anything about grammar as long as I can understand the gist of what's being said.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

lakeslinger

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #23 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 4:44am

Till now I haven`t made good experiences with balearic slings. I lost nearly every stone at the windup, except when I put very low power in the shot, with the consequence of worst distance and accuracy. I tried different sizes of ammo, with the same results. The only sling of the balearic type family that worked is my honda manchega (see the how to`s section). But it needs such big stones that it`s really difficult to sling without tearing out your whole arm.
Never tried it, but I can imagine that some leather sewn on the pouch inside (like in the upper picture of Dan`s slings) prevents losing the ammo. Natural fibers as well as paracord are very slippery when used in this kind of slings.

From the 2 sling-types in this topic I prefer the tut sling. I have one with quite a small pouch, maybe 2 inches wide and it throws nearly everything. Once I found a small (empty) wodka-bottle at the lakeshore where I use to sling. It was more than 2 times longer than the pouch width, but I loaded it and slung (?) it with a lot of power. The bottle left the sling exactly in the right release moment and flew away straightly about 70 m.
Also tried big stones - no problem for the tut.

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #24 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 7:49am

I have more experience with split pouches than with closed pouches.
However my observation is that closed pouches are a bit more forgiving for mistakes while shooting. Also split pouches allow only for a certain range in projectile size, but this range is still quite broad if the sling is well made (approx. 75 - 250 gramm). You also have to pay more attention while positioning the projectile in a split pouch. You further have to match the size of the split to the preferred ammunition. In general you can say that with every type of pouch you can shoot every size of projectile. You just have to plan ahead accordingly while making it.

I also got the impression that braided split pouches are more "aggressive" and faster than solid pouches.

If you want to shoot round projectiles (like tennis balls) with braided split pouches you have to make the pouch slightly smaller than for stones of the same size. This will prevent that the ball slips through the split. Split pouches usually don't handle perfectly round projectiles of different sizes very well (e.g. shooting a tennis ball as well as a small rubber ball). In contrary a solid pouch handles round projectiles of any size well, as long as they don't get too big.

If your projectile keeps slipping out of a split pouch there may be several mistakes involved:
If it slips out through the gap:
- Your strands are too long or the projectile is too small
- Your strands are too "round" and "twisty"
- The gap opens too much or it is too stiff for "lateral" movement. This means that you have somehow messed up the connection of split to retention cord or it is not yet flexible enough. This often happens when the sling is new and not yet shoot in while the projectile being slightly too small.
- The projectile was not placed accurately enough.

If it slips out sideways:
- The strands of the pouch don't have the same length.
- The projectile was not placed accurately enough.
- Shooting errors like making "edges" while moving your arm.

As already said by others, closed pouches are less sensitive for the actual shape of the projectile and are also less sensible for too small projectiles. However it is nearly impossible to shoot a large projectile with a too small solid pouch.
Therefore I recommend solid (or quasi-solid like aussi-pouches) for beginners and split pouches for more advanced slingers.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #25 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 9:46am

The only times I've had ammunition slip out of any braided split pouch is with golfballs, slick Ice cubes, if the pouch was much too small for the ammo, if I used non reinforced mason line, or if the pouch was much too large.

Really, a properly made baleraic pouch should almost never loose stones. That EDC sling on Page 1 I've slung everything from 1/2 inch rocks to fist size rocks (thousands) with onlt a few mishaps.

Teg has some good advice there to help you out in your endevors of split pouch slings.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #26 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 12:05pm

You can also adjust a split pouch so it won't loose small ammo by threading a short string through both pouch halves at each end of the pouch.

I used red yarn on this sling so you can see what i'm tryig to say. Shortened the split about an inch.
In this pic the split is too long and loose.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #27 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 12:10pm

Now it will throw small ammo

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #28 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 2:57pm

I've done what walter did there with a few of my split pouches as well. It works.

Here are some Balearics I made from a few different kinds of cordage. Shows you the versatility, and also how much I like the design.  Smiley

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #29 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 3:16pm

lakeslinger wrote on Feb 20th, 2013 at 4:44am:
Till now I haven`t made good experiences with balearic slings. I lost nearly every stone at the windup, except when I put very low power in the shot, with the consequence of worst distance and accuracy. I tried different sizes of ammo, with the same results. The only sling of the balearic type family that worked is my honda manchega (see the how to`s section). But it needs such big stones that it`s really difficult to sling without tearing out your whole arm.
Never tried it, but I can imagine that some leather sewn on the pouch inside (like in the upper picture of Dan`s slings) prevents losing the ammo. Natural fibers as well as paracord are very slippery when used in this kind of slings.

From the 2 sling-types in this topic I prefer the tut sling. I have one with quite a small pouch, maybe 2 inches wide and it throws nearly everything. Once I found a small (empty) wodka-bottle at the lakeshore where I use to sling. It was more than 2 times longer than the pouch width, but I loaded it and slung (?) it with a lot of power. The bottle left the sling exactly in the right release moment and flew away straightly about 70 m.
Also tried big stones - no problem for the tut.

Since when have big stones hurt your arm? start with 6 oz and go in 2 oz increments up to 16 oz and you should be fine. almost every stone I sling is >10 oz, and ALL of them are over 6, with the exception of bb-filled golf balls(which throw me WAAYAYY off cause they are sooo light!)
Oh, and I can understand that if you go from 2 oz stones to 16 oz stones, it might hurt. It is totally different- it goes from "insane speed" to "fast wrist and arm movements that hurt if you mess up"
-Squirrel

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, vetryan15, Chris, Kick, Rat Man)