Send Topic Print
Net Storage/Tote Bag (Read 11575 times)
timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Re: Net Storage/Tote Bag
Reply #30 - Mar 17th, 2013 at 2:17pm

I have a spool of horrible 1 mm poly-? and decided to use some of it to make a spare sling ammo net.  It did not end up all that good because the stuff is hard, stiff and slippery and the knots will not stay in place.  I can still use it for tennis- and bandy balls, but smooth stones may slip out when knots loosen themself up.

Anyway, what I have learned so far about sling ammo nets is that the opening outward must be lower than in toward the body to keep the hand from going all the way through instead of down to the ammo.
And I prefer to keep the front opening together with a separate cord tied with a slipknot.  Then I can adjust the pouch so I can either carry more ammo safer, but the ammo toward the bottom is slower to reach, or I can tie it so I can carry less ammo but reloading goes faster all the way to the last shot.

DSCF0060.jpg (153 KB | )
DSCF0060.jpg

IP Logged

Thunder Chief
Funditor

Don't Panic!

Reply #31 - Mar 17th, 2013 at 10:02pm

timann wrote on Mar 17th, 2013 at 2:17pm:
I have a spool of horrible 1 mm poly-? and decided to use some of it to make a spare sling ammo net.  It did not end up all that good because the stuff is hard, stiff and slippery and the knots will not stay in place.  I can still use it for tennis- and bandy balls, but smooth stones may slip out when knots loosen themself up.

Anyway, what I have learned so far about sling ammo nets is that the opening outward must be lower than in toward the body to keep the hand from going all the way through instead of down to the ammo.
And I prefer to keep the front opening together with a separate cord tied with a slipknot.  Then I can adjust the pouch so I can either carry more ammo safer, but the ammo toward the bottom is slower to reach, or I can tie it so I can carry less ammo but reloading goes faster all the way to the last shot.

Drip a little super glue on those knots, that'll hold 'em.  Timann, what're the pineapple forums?

We Few, We Happy Few, We Band of Slingers!

Longbowmen draw to the ear!

IP Logged

asemery
Funditor

Reply #32 - Mar 18th, 2013 at 8:01am

Thunder Chief
The Pineapple Knot Forum is a great knot tying resource.  http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/index.php
The net making section  http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/index.php?c=7  has over a dozen netting related topics including many sets of instructions.

No need for glue.  The double sheet bend will stay tight in synthetic cord.
See It discussed here  http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/about1689.html

Happily tangled in my nets at http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/index.php?c=7

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #33 - Mar 18th, 2013 at 2:05pm

If I make a net from slippery poly-stuff again I`ll make sure I use the double sheet bend.  I knew it would be issues with this stuff when I made the net, but I wanted the practice and I wanted to use the cordage for something (it`s almost useles for anything,it`s even harder, stiffer and more slippery than such stuff tend to be.  Cheap, though Cheesy). 
And my net will work for the ball ammo I usually use.

IP Logged

asemery
Funditor

Reply #34 - Mar 18th, 2013 at 4:28pm

Another way to store ammo is with a net with a slit in it.  A drawstring at the top of the net allows you add items to the bag.   The slit opening lets you access to the ammo without using the drawstring.  The slits were tied into the netting.  No cutting of meshes involved.  The red line is there to outline the opening.  Try to figure how the slits were made.  For a discussion go to the forum.  Tony
Vertical Slit
Horizoltal Slit

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #35 - Mar 19th, 2013 at 12:32pm

I had of course lurked around in the forum and found the answer already Smiley

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #36 - Mar 19th, 2013 at 1:18pm

Tony, do you know that you spread the netting virus quite efficiently?  Wink
Thanks for all the information!

Appended: Storage of a selected shot.

StoneJPG.jpg (52 KB | )
StoneJPG.jpg

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #37 - Mar 19th, 2013 at 5:47pm

Interesting carrier Teg! If you make two more you will have quite a unique bola Roll Eyes

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

asemery
Funditor

Reply #38 - Mar 19th, 2013 at 7:01pm

Teg,
  It is good to see that another person has caught the netting bug.  Although walter has a very good idea I think that if you use that net when you dye Easter Eggs it would make a nice pattern.  Just a thought.  Tony

IP Logged

asemery
Funditor

Reply #39 - Aug 11th, 2013 at 11:54pm

At my recent net making demonstraton I made up a panel of netting and was about to tie up the sides to make a storage bag.  I realized that if I used small soft shackles

I could change the number of side meshes I included and make either a storage /shopping bag

or a storage hammock

Small carabiners would work equally well.  Tony

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #40 - Aug 12th, 2013 at 12:32pm

Good ideas.  So far I have used "temporary" ties with reef knots but I like these new idea and will try it out.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #41 - Aug 18th, 2013 at 9:18pm

haah a bowline bend works quite nicely.
but it takes more line... works good for paracord though.

I like the simple overhand knot or a double sheetbend for makeing nets.
but i use a wierdo method- i cut a ton of strands and knot every one together.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Chris, Bill Skinner)