Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Slings in the Battle of Clontarf 1014 (Read 2501 times)
slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Slings in the Battle of Clontarf 1014
Feb 12th, 2013 at 2:55pm

This comes from Chapter XIII of the Illustrated History of Ireland by Margaret Anne Cusack.
" The mailed armour of the Danes (Danar) seems to have been a source of no little dread to their opponents. But the Irish battle axe well have set even more secure protection and defiance. It was wielded with such skill and force that, frequently, a limb was lopped off with a single low, despite the mail in which it was encased; while the short lances, darts and slinging stones provided a means of decapitating or stunning a fallen enemy"

This is the battle in which Brian Boru died.

Now, as far as I know, the first written account of the Battle of Clontarf was put down almost 150 years later.  I really wonder how accurate a retelling it is after all that time.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Re: Slings in the Battle of Clontarf 1014
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 6:53pm

Topic moved to Project Goliath and added to its Index  Smiley
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Lugh-Lamhfada

A slinger is only as good
as his last stone

An Mhi, Ireland
Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 9:24am

Not sure the accounts are very accurate, many were written by Brian Borus descendants looking to use it as self affirming propaganda. No doubt slings were used though.

Not sure what he author means by "while the short lances, darts and slinging stones provided a means of decapitating or stunning a fallen enemy".

Many of the irish would have had a large stone held inside the boss of their shield that they threw at short range before engaging, as well as irish darts but who uses a sling to kill a fallen enemy?

"Andraste Basbochorbhan"- Andraste brings death to the wicked

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2013 at 2:51pm

A man who forgot to bring a sword Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Chris, David Morningstar)