Send Topic Print
Crossbow string (Read 6507 times)
jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Crossbow string
Feb 9th, 2013 at 3:00am

Can't seem to find much info on how many strings of Dacron one needs for a 170 lb crossbow with a steel prod.
I found two references,one mentioning 48,the other 50 strands,both mentioned by some guys on a forum.
Can anyone here,help me answer this question? Are these info's i found correct?

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Re: Crossbow string
Reply #1 - Feb 9th, 2013 at 6:12am

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #2 - Feb 9th, 2013 at 9:28am

Thanks! Quite a wide range of numbers used for the same bow strength.
"my" bowyer made me a 20 strand string,which lasted a surprising ~10 shots before it broke,even though more like 50 strands would have been needed.
This shows that Dacron can take some punishment before breaking.
Even to my unexperienced eye the string was skinny,but i said to myself,the bowyer must know his job.
Luckily he said,that hes going to make me a 50 strand string,without additional payment.
And i got to braid a Dacron release cord from the broken string,and the string didn't even slap me in the face as it broke so it's all cool Smiley

IP Logged

Thomas

Rocks?

NORTHEAST OHIO
Reply #3 - Feb 9th, 2013 at 11:17am

jlasud

Pretty sure you already know that traditional crossbows use an endless string which means continuous loops are wound around two spaced pins until you get the required number of strands. The beginning and the end of the string having previously been tied off to the side are then over lapped and then overlaid by the nock serving on one end. This means the end loops contain only half the number of strands.

Because the payload of my 100# “single string” bullet crossbow is only 12 grams I have 52 strands of B50 or 26 on the nock loops. The nock serving is braided spectra overlaid with cotton coxcombing. All of this may sound like overkill but I have got at least 2500 shots off this string.

Tom      

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #4 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 1:14pm

Topic added to the PW Index!
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 6:58pm

For a bow, you want the string to have a minimum of EIGHT times the draw weight, that means if the bow draws 50 pounds, the string should have a breaking strength of 400 pounds, minimum.  This is at the weakest point, usually where the string touches the limbs.  So, a 50 strand string for a crossbow means it has 50 strands at the nock on the limb, 100 strands where the bolt rests.  I don't know if a "Flemish" string can be used on a crossbow, if it can, it should solve your problems.  And, FWIW, Flemish twisted strings are used on English longbows that pull the same as your crossbow.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #6 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 3:27pm

Mauro Fiorentini wrote on Feb 11th, 2013 at 1:14pm:
Greetings,
Mauro.

What? Dacron and Spectra are now primitive? what plant/animal/mineral do i get them?
-Squirrel

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #7 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 4:17pm

They are "primitive," defined in webster's as closely approximating an early ancestral type or being little evolved. Nobody said anything about ancient, traditional, or historically accurate. That's why we talk about steel knives and rubber banded slingshots here, too.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 6:23pm

squirrelslinger wrote on Feb 12th, 2013 at 3:27pm:
Mauro Fiorentini wrote on Feb 11th, 2013 at 1:14pm:
Greetings,
Mauro.

What? Dacron and Spectra are now primitive? what plant/animal/mineral do i get them?
-Squirrel

You can get the them from plants and animals that have been underground for awhile and have turned into petroleum.  Wink

One of my youth leaders said "Everyone is purist to a certain extent".

He said his space age compound was traditional... in comparison to the xbows that most of the other guys in the family competion were using.

As primitve weaponeers, sometimes we expieriment with some of the newer stuff as well.  Smiley

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 9:45pm

If it will make you feel better, silk is very close to B50, it stretches until it stabilizes, you need more strands and it is waterproof.  If you want something like Spectra or Kevlar, use linen.  High quality linen does not stretch, even when wet.  It will rot, unlike the modern materials.  FWIW, good linen thread of the proper diameter and strength is hard to come by in England and almost impossible to find in North America, and that's more countries than the US. Grin

The English Warbow Society allows Fastflite strings, mostly because a broken string on a warbow usually means large pieces of wood flying in all directions at a pretty good velocity.  Pretty much everything else has to match what was available to the archers of the time, with a few exceptions that are classed as modern warbows.  That means a selfbow made of certain woods, horn nocks on the bows, geese feathers on the arrows and forged points that match a historical point type.  Turkey feathers were rather grudgingly added not too long ago.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #10 - Feb 15th, 2013 at 10:38am

Thanks guys! I'll post a pic when the new string will be ready,and installed. Hopefully it'll last.
Thomas,better to be overkill than underkill. And for sure 12 grams ammo,is a bit too lightweight.
I used 21-27g bolts,and i want to try ~35g bolts to see which weight is ideal.
21-27grams fly like bullets,well more like lead glans. Smiley

IP Logged

Thomas

Rocks?

NORTHEAST OHIO
Reply #11 - Feb 16th, 2013 at 12:51am

jlasud wrote on Feb 15th, 2013 at 10:38am:
Thanks guys! I'll post a pic when the new string will be ready,and installed. Hopefully it'll last.
Thomas,better to be overkill than underkill. And for sure 12 grams ammo,is a bit too lightweight.
I used 21-27g bolts,and i want to try ~35g bolts to see which weight is ideal.
21-27grams fly like bullets,well more like lead glans. Smiley

Jlasud

When I said 12 gram payload I was referring to 3.4 grams for a 9.5mm (.375”) steel ball bearing plus the 9 gram shuttle on the bowstring that holds the ball for firing. This crossbow has been dry fired several times thanks to the tiny ammo escaping just before the trigger pull.

Tom

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #12 - Feb 16th, 2013 at 2:45am

I see.Have you tried heavier ammo? If not,try it. Maybe  cast lead bbs.
I got the point that your string is plenty strong for it's draw weight.

IP Logged

Thomas

Rocks?

NORTHEAST OHIO
Reply #13 - Feb 16th, 2013 at 8:30pm

jlasud wrote on Feb 16th, 2013 at 2:45am:
I see.Have you tried heavier ammo? If not,try it. Maybe  cast lead bbs.
I got the point that your string is plenty strong for it's draw weight.

jlasud

I started with .400” lead balls (6 grams), 100 for $12 U.S. but they deformed easy and made accuracy testing futile. The steel ball bearings were $7 U.S. for 250 and are easily recovered from my target stand which has some scrap carpet hung inside.

My son David and I had an impromptu shooting match today and we both managed to place some shots through previous holes, (well slightly enlarged) at just under 10m, it is good cheap fun.

Tom      

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #14 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 12:39am

it sure is fun! from the few shots i got from the first ,weak string,i experienced a crossbows accuracy. Point and click.
Something magical for someone practicing slinging and archery Smiley
The new string made of 50 strands of dacron is ready and today i'll get the bastard string and install it.
This week some time i'll be back with some pics.
Long ago I also made a slide for ball ammo.I'll try that too.
A pic of the slider you use,would be nice Wink

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Rat Man, David Morningstar)