Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Kahun (el-Lahun) sling: A Novel Approach (Read 24598 times)
Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Re: Kahun (el-Lahun) sling: A Novel Approach
Reply #30 - May 31st, 2013 at 5:59am

squirrelslinger wrote on May 29th, 2013 at 10:07pm:
I am trying to draw in paint what I think this looks like... but weaving doesn't translate into 2D easily.
So sort of the weft becomes the warp, by crossing into the center?
Thats my understanding of this.

There are several ways to introduce additional warps. You can knot it to other warps or the weft, loop it in, sew it, ... From the pictures I have available at the moment I can not distinguish what was done in the original sling. I have the impression that the additional warps were added in the center.

IP Logged

lakeslinger

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #31 - Jun 5th, 2013 at 5:57am

At first I´d like to congratulate you, Teg, for the great work. Your reproduction is really a masterpiece!
Taking the occasion that there is an actual discussion here, I´d like to verify something about Egyptian slings: if I understand it correctly, there are at least 4 ancient Egyptian slings in museums
- a Lahun-sling in the Petrie Museum with a flat woven pouch and braided cords
http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1305757185/0
- a Lahun-sling in the Manchester Museum with a slightly cupped pouch (the original for your reconstruction here) and twisted cords
-two slings found in the tomb of Tutankhamen, probably in the Egyptian Museum of Cairo
http://www.griffith.ox.ac.uk/gri/carter/gallery/p1324.html
-another two artifacts found in the tomb of Tutankhamen that were described as belts, but seem to be slings, probably also in Cairo
http://www.griffith.ox.ac.uk/gri/carter/gallery/p0086.html
http://www.griffith.ox.ac.uk/gri/carter/gallery/p0087.html
http://www.griffith.ox.ac.uk/gri/carter/021kk.html
Am I right with this?
And do some better pictures than the Burton photographs of the Tut-slings exist?
Unfortunately I missed a great occasion to see Egyptian slings. In 2009 there was a big Tutankhamen exhibition in Germany, not showing the originals, but exact reproductions of everything that was found in Tut´s tomb. In fact some objects were repeated, cause there were the complete chambers of the tomb filled with the objects and then all the artifacts in glass displays. But in 2009 I wasn´t yet infected with the sling-fever, otherwise I´d have taken 100 pictures of the slings and “belts”. Maybe when I´ll find some time I can find out who made the reconstructions and contact them to send me pictures.

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #32 - Jun 5th, 2013 at 6:13am

Outstanding work, Teg, as always. Vielen Dank fürs Teilen!  Smiley

lakeslinger, those are some great images. I have never seen the last three pictures before. Not sure if they show the "known" Tut slings in the in situ context, or if they are other objects, but slings they are, imo, without any doubt.

The context is very interesting. They seem to have been deposited together with common garment stuff like belts and sandals. I'm tempted to derive that they were regarded as normal parts of everyday wear, almost like the clothing itself, at least for the pharao.  Smiley

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

lakeslinger

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #33 - Jun 5th, 2013 at 9:53am

The last 3 links are from Timothy Potter, he posted them in an older thread about Egyptian slings.

I wanted to add this picture to show my loom that I use for flat as well as cupped Egyptian slings.
It`s very simple and for me it is more practical than the nail+wood looms or the one shown in the Tut-sling tutorial, cause it is easier to transport (I make most of my slings outdoors).

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #34 - Jun 5th, 2013 at 2:21pm

What's it made from?
Looks like a plastic to me.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

lakeslinger

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #35 - Jun 6th, 2013 at 5:10am

squirrelslinger wrote on Jun 5th, 2013 at 2:21pm:
What's it made from?

Yes, it is a flat piece of plastic, 15x23 cm, where I made cuts with a thin file. The space between two cuts is used for the "U-turn" of the warp-cord, similar to the wooden loom with nails. I use it since I made my first woven sling, that was a Tut with a cupped pouch. For the shaped pouch only the weaving pattern is different ( increasing number of rows from center to outwards vs. decreasing number of rows from center to outwards for a flat pouch ). The loom can also be used for other pouches, like for the shepherd sling in my tutorial #1 and (coming soon) #3.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #36 - Jun 6th, 2013 at 8:35pm

lakeslinger wrote on Jun 6th, 2013 at 5:10am:
squirrelslinger wrote on Jun 5th, 2013 at 2:21pm:
What's it made from?

Yes, it is a flat piece of plastic, 15x23 cm, where I made cuts with a thin file. The space between two cuts is used for the "U-turn" of the warp-cord, similar to the wooden loom with nails. I use it since I made my first woven sling, that was a Tut with a cupped pouch. For the shaped pouch only the weaving pattern is different ( increasing number of rows from center to outwards vs. decreasing number of rows from center to outwards for a flat pouch ). The loom can also be used for other pouches, like for the shepherd sling in my tutorial #1 and (coming soon) #3.

Thanks. So how much easier is it to weave with a loom?

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #37 - Nov 27th, 2013 at 3:48pm

Great Work, Teg!

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #38 - Nov 27th, 2013 at 4:24pm

Thank you very much, funda_iucunda!

I take this possibility to give a little update:
From the technical point there is at the moment not much development in this project. I'm waiting for an occasion to go to Manchester and see the original piece. At the moment I think I have extracted all the informations available from the photos I have, so a personal impression would be nice. I'm still thinking about alternative ways to add threads as this is a point were it can be easily seen if my approach is correct.
Regarding making new slings with this method I just say: "Full colour control". There is something promising upcoming but it may take some weeks until it is finished.
My most time I spend at the moment into processing flax by hand without complex tools and getting experiences with the fibers. So also in this topic there is something upcoming. The vision is to make an exact reproduction of the Lahun sling starting with the flax seed and using as few tools as possible. Currently I think I could achieve this within a year or two if my visit to Manchester confirms my approach. If not, then it maybe could take a life long  Wink.

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #39 - Nov 28th, 2013 at 2:24pm

I am in the pub talking to my museum mate, I am trying to get pics for you.... Watch this space....

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #40 - Nov 29th, 2013 at 7:02am

David Morningstar wrote on Nov 28th, 2013 at 2:24pm:
I am in the pub talking to my museum mate, I am trying to get pics for you.... Watch this space....

I'm watching with pleasant anticipation Smiley. Thank you very much!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)